Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Some quick hitters from a little Shudder run I did...

Game of Death - Concept could be epic, but this felt rushed and flat to me. Some kids are partying and misbehaving, they find a mysterious game and decide to play...then they realize that the game requires them to kill people before time lapses or one of the players' heads will explode. I love the concept, didn't like any of the execution from story progression to characters and their development to the kills...the exploding heads was the only cool effect imo.

Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker - Saw an 80's date and the word "cult" which made me assume that this was a movie about a cult...nope, the other kinda cult horror. Actually it's an obsession movie. A teen is on the verge of getting into college and his single aunt who raised him has serious separation issues. The aunt is annoying, her threat feels phony and the scariest character is a homophobic detective that's almost equally obsessed with the boy basically out of homophobia. This approaches "so bad that it's good" territory if you can get past the overt homophobia of most characters and the aunt's annoying voice.

Stay out of the attic - This one probably coulda used a rewrite to sharpen up everything. Three movers go into a home for a creeper client who turns out to be a nazi that is experimenting on people. Further complicating things, the head mover has nazi tattoos from trying to survive in prison. It's a bit of a narrative minefield, because they're trying to tell a story about people growing and changing their ways (the two other movers have records, the mover is a former nazi and then the main villain is still a nazi that wants to bring the bad back out of these people). But it's a budget horror. It's gore and splatter effects over substance. There's something here, but I wasn't really feeling it.

So no hidden gems or anything. Some time fillers though. I'm gonna keep prospecting through the Shudder selection for goodies though.
Watch. Shakma.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
"Alvarez also dropped the exclusive bomb that the movie is apparently set many years after the events of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, with Leatherface now a much older man."

:jbhmm: So does that mean Alvarez will have to film a montage of Leatherface going on a diet and workout regimen to deal with his obesity, hypertension and diabeetus? Because otherwise an old Leatherface should be missing a foot and have a heart condition.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I do give it credit for this one really awesome shot that I think probably happened by accident:

pcydR2N.jpg