The Official Chicago Discussion Thread

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I heard the sirens here in the city, but it was maybe windy for 30 minutes and then it was fine. much tamer than they were making it out to be.
That’s how it was Sunday near me, real tame.

Last night was legit and caused damage. I slept thru it.

I drove down the street this morning and it was branches and debris everywhere. I saw a car that had a tree branch smashed thru the windshield

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I heard the sirens here in the city, but it was maybe windy for 30 minutes and then it was fine. much tamer than they were making it out to be.
Watching the live coverage, the vibes I got was that the weather forecasters were just kinda surprised with the number of tornadoes being spotted. Like at one point there were ~4 different tornadoes sighted (with O'Hare & Midway sightings @ the same time) and they individually were heading towards the north-side, the loop, the south side or parts of Indiana.

From my experience, we have 3-4 tornado warnings a year, but yesterday, in one night we got 3-4 different tornadoes threatening basically the entire city... I think it's just a matter of time until a random tornado does some real damage, so I'm taking them more serious from here on out

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Watching the live coverage, the vibes I got was that the weather forecasters were just kinda surprised with the number of tornadoes being spotted. Like at one point there were ~4 different tornadoes sighted (with O'Hare & Midway sightings @ the same time) and they individually were heading towards the north-side, the loop, the south side or parts of Indiana.

From my experience, we have 3-4 tornado warnings a year, but yesterday, in one night we got 3-4 different tornadoes threatening basically the entire city... I think it's just a matter of time until a random tornado does some real damage, so I'm taking them more serious from here on out
man, in my entire life we have had ZERO tornadoes in the actual city. I don't even believe tornadoes can actually hit a city.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
That’s how it was Sunday near me, real tame.

Last night was legit and caused damage. I slept thru it.

I drove down the street this morning and it was branches and debris everywhere. I saw a car that had a tree branch smashed thru the windshield

I saw more downed trees and what not this morning. just like yesterday, but there wasn't a lot of rain like they predicted. I was outside around 10pm last night and I was able to have the car windows down cuz it was barely raining and quite pleasant temperature wise.

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
man, in my entire life we have had ZERO tornadoes in the actual city. I don't even believe tornadoes can actually hit a city.

they can definitely hit a city. happened in Atlanta back in 2008 during the SEC Basketball Tournament. if the game didnt go into OT, more people would've been outside and hurt or killed

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
Man, my initial return flight from Louisiana via Houston was scheduled to land at around 10:30pm last night. Luckily, a few days earlier, I rescheduled to an earlier flight departure time for Monday (unknowing of the weather concerns at that time). I had no idea about the storms until they actually came. That flight may have gotten rerouted to another nearby city/airport. Who knows.

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My power just came back on. Tempted to go into work but it will be there tomorrow :hubie: lol

Haven’t read thru the thread but I hope y’all brehs good

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
With the way global warming going it’s only a matter of time & it will be disastrous.

I was considering moving out west towards Naperville/Bolingbrook but them tornadoes got me kinda shook.

AceAge

Pro
Daps

It is not geographically or physically possible for both a funnel cloud to form and tornado touch down City proper, in Cook County. The news does this every year for ratings, they lie. All the headlines say tornadoes were “reported” but you will not see an image of one, because there weren’t any.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It is not geographically or physically possible for both a funnel cloud to form and tornado touch down City proper, in Cook County. The news does this every year for ratings, they lie. All the headlines say tornadoes were “reported” but you will not see an image of one, because there weren’t any.
Not quite sure if you are arguing semantics that a tornado that forms in Chicago is different than a tornado that ends up in Chicago?

Otherwise, it's pretty easy to Google and see that tornadoes that hit Chicago are possible (tho rare) here's a study by weather.gov on tornadoes in the Chicagoland area:

The link also breaks down the strength of the tornadoes and shows how we rarely get level 4-5 tornadoes but they have a huge impact re: injuries/death when they do happen. Here's an example of one that went
The deadliest tornado occurred on April 21, 1967 during an outbreak of 5 significant tornadoes. A violent F4 tornado formed in Palos Hills in Cook County and traveled through Oak Lawn and the south side of Chicago. 33 people died and 500 people were injured by this 200 yard wide tornado that traveled 16 miles and caused over $50 million in damage.

Here's another source that references the same tornado:
The strongest tornado to strike Chicago over the last 70 years occurred in 1967, when an EF-4 tornado roared through the city. The twister moved across Chicago’s South Side, crossing the Dan Ryan Expressway and hammering areas along Lake Michigan near 79th Street.

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
It's mainly because cities make up for a small fraction of the total land area, so probability is very low

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL

You are right about the city proper. Too much density. :whew:

But, there were def tornado-esque situations on radar. The scary one being at O'Hare because the lapses in density that provide space for said airport would contribute to formation, though I don't believe there is enough time with a storm moving so fast, but the suburbs def provide space and a tornado moving is would not be outside the realm of preparation.

The warning systems are based on that modeling of the storm. Really, an abnormal number of spots in the storms looked like, moved like, and was all but a tornado as they either didn't sustain formation. The possibilities are always there and yesterday's storm was pretty scary as we don't historically carpet the entire city in a tornado warning. Again, the storm certainly had the fuel, it just didn't have the space to commit.

To put some perspective on it, as soon as the storm went into Indiana there were more people-verified debris clouds with these formations.

I saw more downed trees and what not this morning. just like yesterday, but there wasn't a lot of rain like they predicted. I was outside around 10pm last night and I was able to have the car windows down cuz it was barely raining and quite pleasant temperature wise.

The storm front was quite small.
:dame:
Probably like a 10 minute window realistically for any type of chaos. Overall, the panic zone was about 9:40pm to 10:10pm. Abut a half hour after that the bulk rain area was pretty much gone. Small, but very potent storm.

The biggest concern is the winds. 95mph reading at O'Hare. :huhldup: