Dear North Siders: Stop Acting Like Chicago Doesn't Have a South Side

Thrillest said:
tl-horizontal_main.jpg

Chicago
Dear North Siders: Stop Acting Like Chicago Doesn't Have a South Side
Shutterstock
By Evan F. Moore

tl-vertical_stack.jpg

I’ve spent a lot of time on the North Side of Chicago -- I’ve worked there, dated there, lived there, and I might even move back one day. I have friends and colleagues around Wicker Park, Uptown, Lakeview, Logan Square -- basically every neighborhood that has a gourmet donut shop.

Related

23 things you don't understand about Chicago's South Side (unless you're from there)

Does your Chicago neighborhood suck? An investigation.

Chicago's ultimate South Side eating guide

tl-horizontal_main.jpg

Jim Vondruska/Thrillist
But since I’ve lived on the South Side for most of my life, you could say that I’ve spent a lot of time noticing the differences between those sides of town. The North Side has a lot of things that the South Side doesn’t, namely multiple 4am bars, consistent cab service, plenty of movie theaters, and music venues.

Tweet
“... to the greater part of Chicagoland, the South Side is defined as a war-torn shyt sandwich -- aka ‘Chiraq'...”

Our part of town has a few distinctions as well, but unfortunately, to the greater part of Chicagoland, the South Side is defined as a war-torn shyt sandwich -- aka “Chiraq” -- filled with gangs battling over turf and corrupt politicians running roughshod over communities.

As a result, South Siders don’t quite get the same perks of belonging to Chicago that North Siders do. The Stanley Cup never seems to make its way to bars and restaurants south of Cermak. That “If Chicago's Neighborhoods Were Game of Thrones Houses” post from your friends’ Facebook wall most definitely ignores the lower half of the city (not part of the "known world"?). There’s a persistent attitude that there’s no reason for local Chicagoans to ride the Red Line beyond The Cell.

I’m here to say that the picture that’s been painted for you is FAR from being the defining image of the entire South Side. Rather than spend a lot of time shaming insular hipsters or recent transplants -- be they Big Ten bros or suburbanites -- for buying into the false narrative, it’s worth calling out the people who put these ideas in those folks in the first place.

tl-horizontal_main.jpg

Jim Vondruska/Thrillist
Now you’ve likely heard or read some version of these sentiments about the South Side:

“It is safe?”
“Why don’t they protest that?”
“Why are they tearing up their own neighborhoods?”
“I don’t want to get shot.”

We as South Siders know exactly what you mean when you talk about our neighborhoods in such a demeaning way. We’re aware of the challenges in our neighborhoods and we take on that weight. Last year, I logged onto Facebook to find out that my friend’s wife -- who was working for an anti-violence non-profit -- had been shot in front of their home. Of course, folks around here aren’t happy about the spread of violence, just as they aren’t happy to reminded of it over and over again and have it made out to be their sole characteristic.

Unfortunately, violence is a part of our culture. These days, people walk into schools, movie theaters, college dorms, churches and act out. So heartbreaking violence isn’t exclusive to the South Side. Remember during the mayoral election when Senator Mark Kirk told the Chicago Sun-Times that if Mayor Emanuel wasn’t re-elected, the city would turn into Detroit? He may not have been aware of what he said, but he was only stoking the fears people have about city life, stirring the same sentiments that brought about white flight in the first place.

Earlier this summer, Kirk once again developed foot in mouth disease when he said that his Senate colleague Lindsey Graham was “a bro with no ho.” He followed that up with a tone deaf “That’s what we’d say on the South Side.” In what world does Kirk represent the voice of anyone on our side (or any side) of the Chicago?

Tweet
“A city that is so rich in history deserves better. To keep strictly to the North Side of the city would be like going on a vacation without ever leaving the confines of the resort.”

We expect to hear stereotypes reinforced by politicians, but the media also falls victim to the same thirst trap regarding the narratives of the South Side’s problems, or as I call them, “south of Roosevelt Road problems.” If local media wants to cover a certain part of the city, they ought to get in touch with writers from this area or at least go there themselves. The fact of the matter is, the writers who don’t put their feet on the ground have no business writing about this area of the city any more than I would have covering city council meetings in Naperville. Local media too often misses, or outright ignores, the southern parts of the city. That’s a slap in the face to so many of us. You can’t just wait with bated breath to report the Fourth of July shooting tallies and then call it a year on coverage.

Outside of the media and politics, oppressive dog-whistle language even filters down to something as basic as getting directions to a museum in Chicago. The Museum of Science and Industry, a South Side staple, gives questionable directions on how to navigate through the South Side streets:

“A less direct train route is to take a CTA Red Line or Green Line train to Garfield and transfer to an eastbound 55 Garfield bus. However, we suggest that people unfamiliar with the city may prefer to take CTA trains as far as downtown, then transfer to an express bus or the Electric Line as mentioned above.”

I’m pretty sure the museum meant well, but something may have been unknowingly implied -- “Come, enjoy the museum... then get the hell out of Dodge.”

tl-horizontal_main.jpg

Jim Vondruska/Thrillist
Many of you know that South Siders are a proud bunch. I suggest you check us out. Visit Pullman, Pilsen, South Shore, Beverly, Hyde Park (you might not find parking), Little Village, Pill Hill, Bronzeville, Englewood, or Bridgeport. A city that is so rich in history deserves better. To keep strictly to the North Side of the city would be like going on a vacation without ever leaving the confines of the resort.

Here’s a few places you can visit that you don’t hear much about:

The South Shore Cultural Center: Longtime South Shore residents still call it the “Country Club.” At one point in the building’s history, black and Jewish folks weren’t welcome. You might remember this building from one of the final scenes of the iconic Blues Brothers movie. Also, the president and the first lady were married there.

The National A. Philip Randolph Pullman Porter Museum: This Pullman neighborhood museum is one of the places to learn about our city’s history in terms of labor practices in an area that is uniquely Chicago. A. Philip Randolph was a civil rights leader who fought for fair labor practices. He and the Pullman porters helped create the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters, America’s first black labor union.

tl-horizontal_main.jpg

Jim Vondruska/Thrillist
National Museum of Mexican Art: If you want to learn more about the history of a proud people, check this Pilsen spot out. While you’re there, ask about why they don’t charge an admission fee. It’s a cool story to hear.

And of course, there’s plenty of great places eat around the South Side, and we don’t mess around when it comes to BBQ, chicken & waffles, and more.

North Side homies, what I am trying to say to you is don't rely on others to do the thinking for you. Come down here to see for yourself (not that we’re begging -- that’s not in our nature). I’m aware of the fact that some of you may take this letter as a knock on the North Side. That’s not the case. As Jay-Z once said,”It's not a dis song, it's just a real song. Feel me?” Pay us a visit and then let me know how you feel about us.

Sign up here for our daily Chicago email and be the first to get all the food/drink/fun in town.

Evan F. Moore’s work has appeared in The Nation, Chicago Magazine, The Cauldron, Chicago Tribune, RedEye, Chicago Reporter, Huffington Post, Time Out Chicago, and Community Media Workshop’s We Are Not Alone/No Estamos Solos project on youth violence.

@OffHalsted

The 100s LochNess
Daps
Reppin
they was suppose to remodel 95th & extend the L to 119th, that was 4yrs ago:francis:

wouldn't mind a Elevated track like the green line runnin thru the 100s tho:ehh:95 103, 111, 119, 127 on michigan :manny:

Last edited:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
they was suppose to remodel 95th & extend the L to 119th, that was 4yrs ago:francis:

wouldn't mind a Elevated track like the green line runnin thru the 100s tho:ehh:95 103, 111, 119, 127 on michigan :manny:

man, a project to extend the red line would cost BILLIONS of dollars. I don't even think it's a priority for the city right now.

I would like to see them convert the metra elctric that goes thru south shore and hyde park to being part of the CTA tho since those areas are underserved by rail service.

@OffHalsted

The 100s LochNess
Daps
Reppin
man, a project to extend the red line would cost BILLIONS of dollars. I don't even think it's a priority for the city right now.

I would like to see them convert the metra elctric that goes thru south shore and hyde park to being part of the CTA tho since those areas are underserved by rail service.

it was suppose to be the gray line a few yrs back

CTA: Is the "Gray Line" a Viable Option

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
it was suppose to be the gray line a few yrs back

CTA: Is the "Gray Line" a Viable Option

I heard it was mentioned as the gold line and the grey line. don't care which color, but that needs to happen. that rail line should be part of the CTA instead of the metra. probably the cheapest option as well when it comes to getting more CTA rail service.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
67 cent garrett's popcorn this week

Garrett Popcorn Selling 67 Cent Bags Of 'Garrett Mix' For Its 67th Birthday

Garrett Popcorn Selling 67 Cent Bags Of 'Garrett Mix' For Its 67th Birthday

By David Matthews | September 13, 2016 5:13am
@DavidLMatthews
Twitter Facebook Email More

Garrett Popcorn is turning 67 this week, and it's selling 67 cent bags to celebrate.
Facebook/Garrett Popcorn Shops
CHICAGO — Garrett Popcorn is turning 67 this week, and it's selling 67 cent bags to celebrate.

The Chicago chain known for long lines and wafting caramel aromas throughout Downtown is selling discounted snack bags of its signature mix from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at its Chicago stores.

If you're pinching pennies, Garrett will give away free popcorn from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Friday at Pioneer Court, 401 N. Michigan Ave. The celebration will also include live music, a tie-dye shirt station, a photo booth, and other games and prizes.

Garrett opened its first store on Sept. 18, 1949, at 10 W. Madison St. Here are all its local stores:

The Loop

27 W. Jackson Blvd.

4 E. Madison St.

26 W. Randolph St.

151 N. Michigan Ave.

Streeterville

625 N. Michigan Ave.

Navy Pier, 600 E. Grand Ave.

Water Tower Place, 835 N. Michigan Ave.

West Loop

Second floor at Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison St.

Chatham

737 E. 87th St.

O'Hare

Terminal 1, Concourse B

Terminal 3, Concourse H

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
whole foods is opening this month in englewood sept 28 and chipotle and starbucks soon after. last time I drove by, I only saw whole foods and villa. I didn't see any chipotle or starbucks tho. but this is good regardless. 63rd and halsted area looks nice with an updated L station and the new kennedy king college adjacent in the area. good to see chipotle getting a MUCH needed 3rd location on the entire south side of chicago. they are supposed to get a location in pullman by the walmart on 111th street as well.

Can Whole Foods Lift Up New Englewood Plaza? Business Owners Have Faith

Englewood, Auburn Gresham & Chatham
Business & Economy

By Andrea V. Watson | September 13, 2016 5:14am
@andreavwatson12
Twitter Facebook Email More

The Whole Foods opening at 63rd and Haslted has drawn several small businesses to the new Englewood Square Plaza.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Andrea V. Watson
ENGLEWOOD — A new Englewood Whole Foods Market has sparked a variety of new small businesses — and more are coming in the next few months.

That's just what developers, the city and neighborhood hoped after the grocer signed on to the project.

Already open are clothiers "Villa, Join the Movement" and "Dress Code: Fashion by the Code."

Nail Works, Oak Street Health, Chipotle and Starbucks also will be in the new Englewood Square plaza at 63rd and Halsted streets. Officials broke ground on the development in 2014, and its first store opened this summer.

Whole Foods is scheduled to open Sept. 28 at 832 W. 63rd St.

Business owners Monday said they were drawn to the location because of Whole Foods, which they believe will attract potential customers for them.

Andrea V. Watson · DNAinfo Reporter
Will you go to Englewood to shop at Whole Foods?
Voice Your opinion on NHSQ

xxlarge.jpg

Taleb Hassan, store manager for "Dress Code," which sells men's and women's clothes and accessories and opened Friday, said he's excited to be in Englewood and plans to hire from the community.

"I want to create jobs," he said.

Right now there are two employees, but over time there will be more openings, especially during the holidays, he said.

"I have faith in Whole Foods, and I know [foot] traffic will pick up," he said.

Dress Code has six Chicago locations.

Nail shop owner Tim Tho is returning to Englewood. He operated his business 20 years ago near Kennedy-King College. He said he's excited to be back.

"We're bringing the Downtown atmosphere to the South Side," he said.

"We're not just here to put something on the corner, but we're here to treat everyone with respect and to give the best service," Tho said.

This nail shop won't have televisions, Tho said. Instead, customers can listen to music and relax.

"No Jerry Springer here," Tho said. "I just want people to enjoy themselves."

A U.S. veteran who served in Desert Storm and in Somalia, Tho said he would like to work with local officials to host community events and mentor young people.

RELATED: 63rd and Halsted Once Was A Bustling Shopping Spot

Greg Smith, manager of Villa, which touts its "urban-inspired apparel and footwear products," already has been huddling with Tho to think of ways to help families during the holiday season. One idea is a turkey drive.

The store has been open since June, though it wasn't getting a lot of traffic at first, he said. But there's been more traffic as Whole Foods nears its opening, he said. The store sells athletic shoes, graphic tees, jerseys and jeans for men, women and children. The store has eight employees, about half of them from the community.

"We have sales often, and people can always find a good deal here," he said.

xxlarge.jpg
This is where Chipotle and Starbucks will be in the Englewood Square plaza.

Workers could be seen inside Whole Foods Monday, preparing for its end of the month opening.

Across the parking lot is Chipotle and Starbucks. No signs have been put up, but most of the exteriors look nearly done. Trees and bushes are planted, and the ground is paved.

Englewood resident Jasmine Brown, who did some shopping at Villa, said it's nice to see more stores in the community. She said she'll probably shop at Whole Foods when it opens, but worried that prices will be too high.

A Whole Foods representative said last year that the store will offer its 365 value line of products to keep prices down at the Englewood location.

AtomicUse

Superstar
Daps
whole foods is opening this month in englewood sept 28 and chipotle and starbucks soon after. last time I drove by, I only saw whole foods and villa. I didn't see any chipotle or starbucks tho. but this is good regardless. 63rd and halsted area looks nice with an updated L station and the new kennedy king college adjacent in the area. good to see chipotle getting a MUCH needed 3rd location on the entire south side of chicago. they are supposed to get a location in pullman by the walmart on 111th street as well.

Watson coming along steady with the news! She's out here doing her thing ! :salute: