The Official Chicago Discussion Thread

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Watched that last week. Vice/Viceland puts out some great shyt. That show (Balls Deep) is my favorite thing they do.

Gary probably has as bad a rep as any town in America. Good to see them highlight kids w bright futures instead of the doom and gloom,

yes, I thought it was really well done. that documentary on the kids in gary makes the kids we see on the media from the inner city out here look like shyt in comparision.

cuz all the gary kids, no matter what side of town they were from were on some real shyt.

at the beginning u see kids drinking and smoking, but then one buddy goes to pick up the other one, and the driver is telling his boy how he just got a new job, and they were all encouraging him.

and the one kid who they showed that went to the school on the worse side of town even had a plan. he was shown smoking the entire movie, yet he had a job at subway that he took pride in, and then was talking about getting into the military after he graduated and explained why.

then the kids from the other school all had a plan after graduation as well and were mostly going to college. it was good to see black youth portrayed in a positive manner despite the economic hardships that exist in that city.

and even tho gary is considered a city, I didn't see ANY instance of anyone on the entire documentary being on some gang bullshyt. they was just kickin it, working, and finishing up school.

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
I saw this documentary on viceland this morning filmed in Gary. it was dope.

Last Week of High School - BALLS DEEP - VICELAND
Saw it last night too, shyt was really good.

I like how they disproved some of these stereotypes....cause a lot of the Gary situation parallels the shyt here. You were able to hear for yourself that the same kids who'd get labeled as thugs were just trying to be successful out here. Dudes were in the car legit happy about getting jobs at Subway, just being able to do something with themselves.

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
So I'm gonna be stuck in BI till September, honestly, it's not that bad of a area, nice set of bars out this way as well. Was chatting up with this bartender and he was telling me how a developer was about purchasing a Mansion out this way for $150K and how people

:patrice: Lowkey I might look into getting a studio out his way, depending on how this Summer goes.

Also was in Morgan Park today near Marsh-field Palaza, Kinda an overlook area imo, a little rough, but some decent houses out that way.

Daps

elgin yall...i dont know why but theres some weird need for our people out in the burbs to act grimy like they have somethin to prove...not a bad place for the most part but its so weird to see folk acting like they need to do all that extra out there. my auntie and moms stay out there so i seen some bogus shyt up close. stuff that rivals what happens in the 'bad' parts of chi.

Giselle

Daps
elgin yall...i dont know why but theres some weird need for our people out in the burbs to act grimy like they have somethin to prove...not a bad place for the most part but its so weird to see folk acting like they need to do all that extra out there. my auntie and moms stay out there so i seen some bogus shyt up close. stuff that rivals what happens in the 'bad' parts of chi.

Very true.

When I was in hs a few years ago (in the south suburbs), there were guys who tried to start a gang. They came up with a name for it and tried to sell drugs. They stole from people and beat people up sometimes. They missed school quite frequently and got in trouble a lot. I think one of them even bought a gun. I'm not sure though. lol It was so stupid. They were fake/forced "hard.

Some of them tried to act "ghetto" too (girls included), and a lot of them tried to claim that they were from chicago.

Giselle

Daps

Elgin fight video investigated after teen hospitalized

12924510_10153910693850027_8723457341520128215_n.jpg

:snoop:

Where did that incident take place?

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
So I'm gonna be stuck in BI till September, honestly, it's not that bad of a area, nice set of bars out this way as well. Was chatting up with this bartender and he was telling me how a developer was about purchasing a Mansion out this way for $150K and how people

:patrice: Lowkey I might look into getting a studio out his way, depending on how this Summer goes.

Also was in Morgan Park today near Marsh-field Palaza, Kinda an overlook area imo, a little rough, but some decent houses out that way.

I don't consider it morgan park until you're south of 107th street and west of longwood. I'm not sure what that area u were in is called. MP is definitely not east of I57.