The Official Chicago Discussion Thread

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...hi-evanston-shotgun-death-20140804-story.html
An Evanston man died after he accidentally shot himself with his shotgun while "showing it off" to friends, authorities said.

Police found Eric Zyzanski, 31, after being called to his apartment in the 800 block of Howard Street around 9:45 p.m. Sunday, police said. He had a gunshot wound to the head and a shotgun was found next to him, police said.

Zyzanski had been with several friends when he got the gun and began showing it off, according to a statement from police. His friends told him to put it away but he removed two to three rounds, held the gun to his cheek and told friends it was empty, police said.

Then he pulled the trigger, according to the statement. One of the friends ran to a neighbor's home to call police.

Evanston police Cmdr. Diane Davis said Zyzanski owned the gun and no foul play was suspected.

Detectives interviewed the friends in the apartment and all of them gave consistent accounts of what happened, according to the police statement.

Zyzanski was pronounced dead at 11:35 p.m. at Evanston Hospital, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.

cComments
  • @shellie3177 Isn't it obvious? He wanted to be part of the Darwin Awards
    Ronald214
    at 6:13 PM August 04, 2014
Add a comment See all comments

rsobol@tribune.com | Twitter: @RosemarySobol1

Copyright © 2014, Chicago Tribune

@A1Shiznit
:deadmanny::deadmanny:

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...idnt-let-wil-perish-alone-20140804-story.html
n the three weeks since her husband was gunned down at a Rogers Park bus stop, Maria Lewis has been trying hard to relive his last hours.
And this is what she found out after piecing together receipts and witness accounts and police notes: Wil Lewis did not die alone on July 12, but was surrounded by people who reached out to comfort him and who helped police track down the three suspects now in custody.

@A1Shiznit nikkas married to white women in the chi?

ManBearPig

half man half bearpig
Daps
Reppin
Chi-town
Come on now

NewsLocalBreaking News
Shooting near Bud Billiken Parade: 'I am tired of this'

A family has a cookout while a Chicago Police officer stands on the scene of a shooting near the 4200 block of South King Drive during the Bud Billiken Parade. (Abel Uribe/Chicago Tribune)
By Lisa Black, Deanese Williams-Harris and Carlos Sadovi,
Tribune reporters
ShootingsCrimeLaw EnforcementPublic TransportationIllinois GovernorPublic Transportation DisastersChicago Transit Authority
A man was shot this afternoon near the Bud Billiken Parade
Thousands of people turned out for the annual Bud Billiken Parade Saturday, a day to celebrate the start-up of school with dancers, marching bands, political floats and outdoor grilling.

Only this year -- for the first time that anyone could remember in the event’s 85-year history -- the shooting of two teenagers just off the parade's main route sent some families running for cover -- and left others angry that this longtime African-American tradition had been violated.

lRelated
BREAKING NEWS
CT CityHall2.JPG
SEE ALL RELATED
"Me and my kids, we hit the ground," said Barbara Sims, whose family always watches the parade from the corner of South Martin Luther King Drive and 42nd Street. With red police tape cordoning off an area behind her, she described how she saw about a dozen teenagers gang up on the two young men who police said ended up being shot after someone in the scuffle drew a gun.

"My granddaughter was trampled," said Sims, adding that another child hit his head on a pole while trying to run away. A lawn chair nearby was twisted and broken. The parade was still carrying on along South King Drive while police searched the area shortly after the shooting; people were chanting, "Put the guns down."

cCommentsADD A COMMENTSEE ALL COMMENTS
The shooting was reported at around 12:40 p.m., said Chicago Police Department News Affairs Officer Veejay Zala. One victim, 18, was shot in the left arm and transported to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in good condition, officials said. A 17-year-old was shot in the right hand and sustained a graze wound to his buttocks, said News Affairs officer Thomas Sweeney. His condition was stabilized at John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County.

Another shooting that appeared to be self-inflicted was reported a few blocks west of the parade on a Green Line "L" line platform, police said.

Osiris Johnson, his parents and 8-year-old twin daughters packed up their cooler and left early, shaken up after the shots rang out near them.

They left because "of people who don't know how to be civilized. It's a shame we must feel like that in our own neighborhood," Johnson said. "It was right around my babies. It's time for a change. I am tired of this."

His father, Marvin Johnson, added: "Man, we were right there. ... I am just thanking the Lord we weren't shot."

The shooting marred an otherwise pitch-perfect day for a parade, whose participants included Gov. Pat Quinn and his Republican election opponent Bruce Rauner.

Sponsored by Chicago Defender Charities, Inc., the parade has drawn generations of families to the city's Bronzeville neighborhood on the South Side since 1929. Jesse White's Tumblers and the South Shore Drill team are among the annual highlights, observers said.

"We've never had any violence there," said Beverly Reed Scott, parade director. She declined to comment on the shooting, saying she had not received confirmation from police that it had occurred along the parade route.

"We had a tremendous turnout for the 85th anniversary," said Scott, who described crowds six deep.

"Bud Billiken" is a fictional character created by Robert S. Abbott, founder of the Chicago Defender newspaper. As the story goes, he started the parade to thank the children who delivered his newspaper. He picked the name "Billiken" for a Chinese figurine that symbolized attention to youth and the importance of education.

Among those who enjoyed Saturday’s event was Yvonne Thompson, 50, who marched in the parade when she was a high school sophomore. Her daughter danced in the parade as a teen, and on Saturday, her granddaughter became the third generation to participate, she said.

"There"s a lot of history, a lot of knowledge and a lot of potential here," Thompson said. "Some kids are not motivated to do anything. The parade brings them out."

But hours before the shooting, she also was thinking about the city's gang problems.

"Chicago, put down the guns," Thompson said. "Put down the guns so the kids can grow up."

In addition to the shooting nearest the parade route, a 22-year-old man was taken in good condition to John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County after the self-inflicted shooting on a Green Line "L" platform, said Zala.

The shooting happened at 11:02 a.m. on the platform at 35th Street, said CTA spokeswoman Tammy Chase. The man apparently shot himself, according to CTA and police officials.

The man is a documented gang member, police said.

No one else was injured.

lblack@tribune.com | Twitter: @LisaBChiTrib

dawilliams@tribune.com | Twitter: @neacynewslady

Copyright © 2014, Chicago Tribune

TOUR THE SITE
MEMBER CENTER
CLASSIFIED
NEWS
POLITICS
TRIBLOCAL
WATCHDOG
SPORTS
BUSINESS
BLUE SKY
OPINION
ENTERTAINMENT
DINING
THEATER LOOP
LIFE & STYLE
VIDEO & PHOTO
AUTOS
REAL ESTATE
JOBS
ADVERTISING
SHOP
DIGITAL COPY
CORRECTIONS
ABOUT US
CONTACT US
PRIVACY POLICY
SERVICE TERMS

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-near-bud-billiken-parade-20140809-story.html

ManBearPig

half man half bearpig
Daps
Reppin
Chi-town
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...idnt-let-wil-perish-alone-20140804-story.html
n the three weeks since her husband was gunned down at a Rogers Park bus stop, Maria Lewis has been trying hard to relive his last hours.
And this is what she found out after piecing together receipts and witness accounts and police notes: Wil Lewis did not die alone on July 12, but was surrounded by people who reached out to comfort him and who helped police track down the three suspects now in custody.

@A1Shiznit nikkas married to white women in the chi?

Lol nope.

But Wtf tho

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
http://newsbuzzdaily.com/hood-prank-gone-wrong-prankster-murdered-in-chicago/
deadteen.jpg

Chicago, IL- 16 year old Ryan Wilson is dead after attempting to prank gang members in Chicago. Wilson, a young man from Chicago suburb Naperville, went to the southside of Chicago with a friend pranking random people. According to Wilson’s friend, the teenager approached a couple of Vice Lord gang members and said, “are you ready to dye”. Before the teen could pull out a bottle of Clairol hair dye to insinuate that he meant dying his hair, one of the gang members pulled out a .22 and shot Wilson multiple times in the head.

The teenager was rushed to the University of Chicago Medical Center where he was pronounced dead upon arrival. Wilson’s friend filmed the entire altercation and has submitted the video to the local police. So far, no arrests have been made. This was the 32nd murder this past weekend in the city of Chicago.

Ryan Wilson was only in the 11th grade and attended Benet Academy in Naperville, IL, where he excelled academically. He was apart of the debate club, Latin club and played varsity ice hockey.
:snoop: So stupid!

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Brehs... I just moved to Chicago and this thread got me like :whoo: and :whoa:

I live in Evanston so it's not technically Chicago but if nikkas are gettin clapped off Howard St and in Rogers Park, I'm not too far away from danger. :merchant:

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
Brehs... I just moved to Chicago and this thread got me like :whoo: and :whoa:

I live in Evanston so it's not technically Chicago but if nikkas are gettin clapped off Howard St and in Rogers Park, I'm not too far away from danger. :merchant:

I got fam in Evanston...you straight

Through don't sleep on Rogers Park :mjlol:not a bad hood through.

AtomicUse

Superstar
Daps
I didn't go to the bud parade, I've never been actually.

. I can't wait for the USA Basketball game at the united center, I'ma be in there like Tupperware. :blessed: