The Official Charlotte, NC Discussion Thread

Daps
Strap up brehs

It’s 2017 and STD rates in Charlotte are out of control. Why aren’t we using protection?

It’s 2017 and STD rates in Charlotte are out of control. Why aren’t we using protection?
uptown-skyline.jpg

By Kylie Moore | May 23, 2017

“Well, you’re on the pill, right?” appears to be a common question that people in Charlotte find themselves asking and answering after a night out.
Whether we admit it or not, the proof is in the statistics.

When it comes to STDs like chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis, Charlotte has one of the highest occurrence rates in the country.
According to the Health Department, the rate of gonorrhea cases increased 15% between 2011 and 2015, making it the county with the 21st-most new cases in the nation.

Chlamydia and Syphilis are steadily increasing as well. In 2015, 763 new cases of chlamydia were reported, up from 628 in 2013. Syphilis’ presence has more than doubled in the same amount of time, with 24.6 new cases per every 100,000 people, up from 11.1 in 2013.

And that’s just what’s reported. The health department acknowledges that STDs are more common than we think.

Why won’t we admit that it’s happening?
It’s not just Charlotte. As a whole, the state ranks third in the highest rate per capita of STDs according the CDC. Plenty of the blame for the increase has been placed on the shoulders of dating apps like Tinder, Bumble and Grindr.

The proof is in the numbers. When Tinder launched in 2012, chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis cases statewide hovered at 519.1, 146.7 and 3.4 per 100,000 people. By 2015, they clocked in at 541, 170 and 11.3, respectively.

Despite the increase, most people I spoke with denied that unprotected sex happens often.

In fact, one of the most common answers I got when I asked the question of when it wasn’t used was that most only throw it to the wayside once they begin sleeping with someone that they’re “talking to.”

Only one person, a 25-year-old woman, admitted that there have been times that the use of and concern over protection beyond the pill – morning after and otherwise – has often come second to drunken desire.

“Ballpark, like four, I think,” she said when I asked how many times in the last year it’s happened. She refers to them as “bad drunken choice.”

She also believes that it’s a more common occurrence than any of us are willing to let on.

Using protection is a conversation that we need to be having – so why aren’t we?
PSA: Being on the pill doesn’t fully count as using protection.

Admittedly, talking about protect isn’t fun and it certainly isn’t sexy. But shouldn’t not talking about it – or having to fill the prescription for the antibiotic – be what kills the mood?

Henry Orbit

Wave Gods
Daps
Reppin
The Old North State
I don't feel so bad about getting curved now :mjgrin:

Strap up brehs

uptown-skyline.jpg

By Kylie Moore | May 23, 2017

“Well, you’re on the pill, right?” appears to be a common question that people in Charlotte find themselves asking and answering after a night out.
Whether we admit it or not, the proof is in the statistics.

When it comes to STDs like chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis, Charlotte has one of the highest occurrence rates in the country.
According to the Health Department, the rate of gonorrhea cases increased 15% between 2011 and 2015, making it the county with the 21st-most new cases in the nation.

Chlamydia and Syphilis are steadily increasing as well. In 2015, 763 new cases of chlamydia were reported, up from 628 in 2013. Syphilis’ presence has more than doubled in the same amount of time, with 24.6 new cases per every 100,000 people, up from 11.1 in 2013.

And that’s just what’s reported. The health department acknowledges that STDs are more common than we think.

Why won’t we admit that it’s happening?
It’s not just Charlotte. As a whole, the state ranks third in the highest rate per capita of STDs according the CDC. Plenty of the blame for the increase has been placed on the shoulders of dating apps like Tinder, Bumble and Grindr.

The proof is in the numbers. When Tinder launched in 2012, chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis cases statewide hovered at 519.1, 146.7 and 3.4 per 100,000 people. By 2015, they clocked in at 541, 170 and 11.3, respectively.

Despite the increase, most people I spoke with denied that unprotected sex happens often.

In fact, one of the most common answers I got when I asked the question of when it wasn’t used was that most only throw it to the wayside once they begin sleeping with someone that they’re “talking to.”

Only one person, a 25-year-old woman, admitted that there have been times that the use of and concern over protection beyond the pill – morning after and otherwise – has often come second to drunken desire.

“Ballpark, like four, I think,” she said when I asked how many times in the last year it’s happened. She refers to them as “bad drunken choice.”

She also believes that it’s a more common occurrence than any of us are willing to let on.

Using protection is a conversation that we need to be having – so why aren’t we?
PSA: Being on the pill doesn’t fully count as using protection.

Admittedly, talking about protect isn’t fun and it certainly isn’t sexy. But shouldn’t not talking about it – or having to fill the prescription for the antibiotic – be what kills the mood?

Daps
Speaking of NoDa, I ate at the restaurant Haberdish a few days ago. Their chicken is really good.

I noticed there was a relative high number of Black people out there. They were patronizing those businesses but most of them over there aren't Black-owned. I wish Charlotte had a "trendy" Black area. :mjcry:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Speaking of NoDa, I ate at the restaurant Haberdish a few days ago. Their chicken is really good.

I noticed there was a relative high number of Black people out there. They were patronizing those businesses but most of them over there aren't Black-owned. I wish Charlotte had a "trendy" Black area. :mjcry:

Like I aint trynna c00n or be funny or a dikk.... but I honestly dont give a fukk about that itish no more. Getting older, that circle getting smaller.

I'm becoming more about the fam and the career, I'm down to meet new peeps but I'm cool with hanging with my norms and we have great time anywhere.

I know Dupp and Swatt trynna do something new.... maybe they'll have something down the line

Martha

Daps
Reppin
DMV
Was in ChArlotte last month. Not bad...anybody been to the Lazy Farm Ranch on the outside of Charlotte?

But yo....one of the cookout look like a chill southeast dc vibe...for a sec I was watching my back

Morose Polymath

GODHOOD
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
I went to high school with this breh and used to do music with him back in the Tre. Son was wild successful and made a name for himself in the QC and now he gone and for what!! :mjcry: :snoop:

Be safe out there brehs....

Popular Charlotte barber among latest homicide victims

LOCAL
Alex Shabad , WCNC9 hours ago
Facebook

David%20Lindsay-001_1498073643141_9875945_ver1.0.png

Photo taken via David Lindsay's Instagram account.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- There was a staggering jump in murders, which now total 46 for the year, after a violent night in Charlotte.

Three people are dead in two murder investigations within thirty minutes of each other on Tuesday night.

One crime scene at a home on the east side of the city and the other at apartments in north Charlotte.

On Wednesday, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney addressed the growing concerns about violence. He told people not to say “we’re OK, because we’re not.”

A closed sign at the No Grease Mosaic Village barbershop shows how Charlotte’s crime wave is reaching different corners of the community. NBC Charlotte found one customer looking for a haircut who instead learned of a homicide.

“I just came and thought it was a regular day and see that the sign was up,” he said.

David%20Lindsay-001_1498073643141_9875945_ver1.0.png

David%20Lindsay-004_1498073643062_9875941_ver1.0.png

David%20Lindsay-005_1498073643115_9875943_ver1.0.png

David%20Lindsay-002_1498073643128_9875944_ver1.0.png

David%20Lindsay-003_1498073643104_9875942_ver1.0.png

Photo taken via David Lindsay's Instagram account.

PHOTOS: David Lindsay
Prev
/
Next
Police identified the victim as 29-year-old David Lindsay who worked at the barbershop. Investigators found him shot to death in a vehicle at a home on Eastwycke Place just after 11 p.m. Tuesday.

Within thirty minutes, police responded to the Edge at NoDa Apartments where investigators say two men were shot and killed. The total number of murders for the year has jumped to 46 in Charlotte.

Chief Putney announced plans to increase officer hours over the summer with help from federal money, which includes efforts like walking patrols.

“We have allocated overtime, we look at our specific hot spots,” says Chief Putney.

CMPD says the incident with two men killed at the apartment is believed to be drug related. They knew each other like in 75 percent of the murders this year.

However, Chief Putney pointed to another troubling statistic.

“About half of the homicides we’ve seen this year, the victims, the lives taken away were between the ages of 18 and 34,” says Chief Putney.

That includes Lindsay, who also worked with police to improve relations in the community.

“I usually thought Charlotte was a good city to live in, I never heard of that many murders around here like that,” says the customer.

Police have not released details about a suspect in that case. If you have any information you are asked to call 704-334-1600.

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
I went to high school with this breh and used to do music with him back in the Tre. Son was wild successful and made a name for himself in the QC and now he gone and for what!! :mjcry: :snoop:

Be safe out there brehs....

Damn, that's fukked up breh.

Eastwycke? The fukk? :what: I got family in that area, it used to be quiet... most of the fukkery in that area would be confined further down Sharon Amity near Sunridge Homes.

That McDonald's, Cook-Out and that entire shopping plaza be on some creep shyt at night and the funny thing is that there is a police station right next to the motherfukkin Wendy's and nikkas still be lit.