The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
Gold Line extension set to open in January 2021 - Q City Metro

Gold Line extension set to open in January 2021
The Phase 2 project will add 2.5 miles (and 11 stops) to the 1.5-mile route that opened in 2015.
Gold-Line-1.jpeg

JCSU's Biddle Hall is seen through one of the Gold Line passenger platforms along Beatties Ford Road. (QCity Metro)
By Glenn Burkins
December 7, 2020

The Gold Line streetcar extension will begin carrying passengers sometime next month, according to the city’s latest update. That’s good news for the residents and businesses affected by road closures and related construction.

The extension — called Phase 2 on city websites — will add 2.5 miles of track (and 11 new passenger stops) to the 1.5-mile route that opened in 2015.

Why it matters: The extension is expected to spur economic development along Beatties Ford Road, a historically Black corridor long neglected by government and business.

The extension also will provide a new travel option for JCSU students and West End residents heading east toward uptown Charlotte.

According to the city’s update, workers will spend the rest of December and part of January completing a “punch list” of last-minute fixes, and no date has been announced for when the first passengers will board.

Even when Phase 2 is opened to riders, work along the track will continue. Landscaping, for example, won’t begin until Fall 2021, when the weather is most conducive to planting grass and trees.

Some good news: After nearly two years of road closures and traffic detours, the section of Beatties Ford Road near JCSU has been reopened.

Some bad news: Cars traveling behind a streetcar on that stretch of Beatties Ford will be forced to stop at each platform because the street has no passing lane. Each stop should take about 20 seconds, officials estimate.

Gold-Line-1-1-1024x683.jpeg

With no access to passing lanes, drivers on Beatties Ford Road will be forced to stop behind streetcars. (QCity Metro)
When Phase 2 opens, the line will extend west from the CATS uptown transit hub to the Beatties Ford Road/French Street intersection, then east to Sunnyside Avenue near the Elizabeth neighborhood. Stops will include JCSU, Johnson & Wales University, Trade & Tryon streets, Central Piedmont Community College, Novant’s Presbyterian Hospital and Hawthorne Lane.

CATS has contracted to purchase six hybrid streetcars from Siemens, each 85 feet long with 56 seats and a capacity to carry 255 passengers. Each costs about $40 million.

Here are some other Gold Line facts we culled from city websites:

Gold-Line-3-1024x683.jpeg

• The Phase 2 project was budgeted at $150 million, with the city and federal government splitting the cost evenly. Phase 2 was included in President Barack Obama’s FY2016 budget.

• Passenger service will run seven days a week from 5 a.m. to 2 a.m. During peak hours, riders waiting for a streetcar should anticipate a 15-minute wait between arrivals. On Sundays and off-peak hours, the wait time will be 20 to 30 minutes.

• Each stop along the Gold Line will feature artwork that is reflective of the respective community. Below is an example of windscreen art for the Wesley Heights stop, by George Bates of Brooklyn, N.Y.

unnamed.jpg

• A Phase 3 is planned that would further extend the Gold Line, but funding that work is pending.

Still have questions about the Gold Line? Try this link.

Rail line is a waste of money..they should’ve just kept the damn Gold Rush buses going.

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Charlotte subreddit is full of racists

A lot of those folks are not from Charlotte.

We don’t claim them bytches from Davidson, Cornelius, Huntersville, Mooresville, Concord, Kannapolis, Monroe, etc. That’s all Trump country.

Back in the day lines were much more defined as them folks up north DID NOT fukk with Charlotte but now that Charlotte is growing them red wave fakkits false claiming the city.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
I feel bad for lil man. He just want to go to school. I hope this gets handled

She didn't want the portrayal of black people to be stereotyped based off of a book, even though her son is going to an elite, expensive private school.

Even though black stereotypes are perpetuated on the news, in music, on TV and in movies. She basically picked the wrong battle.

But its her money, and she probably felt she was entitled to spazz out. She was probably forking over 40k a year for him to attend.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
A lot of those folks are not from Charlotte.

We don’t claim them bytches from Davidson, Cornelius, Huntersville, Mooresville, Concord, Kannapolis, Monroe, etc. That’s all Trump country.

Back in the day lines were much more defined as them folks up north DID NOT fukk with Charlotte but now that Charlotte is growing them red wave fakkits false claiming the city.
I can speak for Concord/Kannapolis in particular. This shyt is Trump central for real! These fools look like they’ll never spend time in Charlotte outside of going to a Panthers game or some NASCAR shyt. Y’all are getting like Atlanta where all them surrounding towns be trying to rep the city lol.

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I can speak for Concord/Kannapolis in particular. This shyt is Trump central for real! These fools look like they’ll never spend time in Charlotte outside of going to a Panthers game or some NASCAR shyt. Y’all are getting like Atlanta where all them surrounding towns be trying to rep the city lol.

I don’t know how old @Pressure is but he from the city so he can probably speak on it as well. Early to mid 70s is when white folks got the fukk up out of the city and moved to them areas before then places like Ashley Park, Westover Hills, Camp Greene, Tuckaseegee etc in West Charlotte going towards Sedgefield and around Dilworth was all middle class white folks territory, areas in N. Charlotte was mixed but once too many nikkas started popping up, upsetting the balance it was a wrap. City started placing projects like Dillehay Courts, Earl Village, etc in certain areas back in the 70s and that transformed the areas to predominantly black neighborhoods.

If you ask any of these old white folks who’re around in their late 50’s to 70’s who’re born in Charlotte they’ll tell you how it used to be along East and West Blvd, Tryon and Freedom going all the way into Uptown. Matthews, Concord (even with the Speedway), Kannapolis and the like were straight COUNTRY...like spread out farmland, woodlands and shyt back then, like how Union Co still is. shyt didn’t start booming until the late 70s but those old white folks WERE NEVER happy that them old prestigious Charlotte neighborhoods turned black, you couldn’t tell now but those old homes in West Charlotte were built proper, good solid homes..even the company built duplexes from the 30’s and 40’s for the mill workers are still high quality to this day. That’s where all this bullshyt aimed at revitalizing NODA, South End, West Charlotte came from..they want them areas back.

You don’t have to do too much redevelopment because you still got those built Ford tough houses there. Just need shops, new roads, raise rents and boom.

Last edited:

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
That’s a damn shame as far as Cherry..white folks everywhere.
Yea. One of my homies lives over there. Since they moved in it has been gentrified even further.

I remember when Gordon moved his shop over there off kings or back when the Mall was still there.

The goat Burlington coat factory as a kid :wow:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
A coworker of mine was telling me about Cherry and how black folks were over there before it got changed up. I went over there and all kinds of white folks were riding bikes and taking their kids to the park and stuff smh
White folks using shuttered black schools as their parks. :mjpls: