The Official Charlotte, NC Discussion Thread

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Yep.

I know the lady who runs Roof Above, basically the Men’s Shelter and Urban Ministries, her husband is a brother who I know that works at the Charlotte Observer and basically they promoted the building up of the tent cities due to the lack of help coming from the city and to showcase the dire need for action. A lot of the crime, I hate to say, that sparks off in Uptown comes from the indigent populace especially quite a few rapes, assaults and murders.

They closed the police station off Tryon in Uptown and built a new station closed to Johnson and Wales so your closest police station to that area is the actual HQ which doesn’t have overnight patrol operating out of there. So if your ass gets robbed near Spectrum Arena, near 7th street or near 277..you better hope there’s a patrol nearby because response time is gonna be an issue. Uptown is just not a safe area at night..it’s not. Them nikkas had G4S armed police at the bus station and Allied Barton with Sheriff occasionally showing up at Epicenter and it still wasn’t enough to deter nikkas from shooting and fighting.
You’ll never catch me at the bus station any time of day. Crazy ass place smh. Yeah we was on that Roof Above story and man that shyt is cool AF! I hope Greg Jackson from Heal Charlotte can get his campus built off Sugar Creek too. I love seeing the people taking action out here. Something has to be done for real cause this homeless problem is out of control now. Shoutout to the folks out there giving out food and doing whatever they can to help. Everything you said is on point. I used to sit in those city and county meetings before Covid smh because of all the yelling with no solutions. That’s why I always shoutout the people in Charlotte.. they’re the ones that will have to keep this city moving in the right direction.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
QUOTE="Marcel pro black 510 ados, post: 40104469, member: 29628"]U live in nc[/QUOTE]
Since last year but now that companies are more lenient about remote work. I don't see any need to stay in one area anymore.

The key is finding a company that actually believes in remote work. And won't require you to be back onsite the minute this pandemic is over. I'm interviewing with companies now. And most can't wait to require everyone to be back in the office.
:francis:

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
You’ll never catch me at the bus station any time of day. Crazy ass place smh. Yeah we was on that Roof Above story and man that shyt is cool AF! I hope Greg Jackson from Heal Charlotte can get his campus built off Sugar Creek too. I love seeing the people taking action out here. Something has to be done for real cause this homeless problem is out of control now. Shoutout to the folks out there giving out food and doing whatever they can to help. Everything you said is on point. I used to sit in those city and county meetings before Covid smh because of all the yelling with no solutions. That’s why I always shoutout the people in Charlotte.. they’re the ones that will have to keep this city moving in the right direction.

I’ve met Greg, real good dude, I told him my only concern would be the immediate area around the hotel. Sugar Creek is notorious for criminality..my understanding is that they would have on site security, protocols and have a relationship with CMPD to have their presence be heavier than normal on that corridor around 85. He got the idea from Liz Clausen believe it or not, she’s the lady who runs Roof Above..they just purchased property to start their own transitional housing for men so they’ll have three campuses going forward.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
I’ve met Greg, real good dude, I told him my only concern would be the immediate area around the hotel. Sugar Creek is notorious for criminality..my understanding is that they would have on site security, protocols and have a relationship with CMPD to have their presence be heavier than normal on that corridor around 85. He got the idea from Liz Clausen believe it or not, she’s the lady who runs Roof Above..they just purchased property to start their own transitional housing for men so they’ll have three campuses going forward.
I agree 100% I’ve been told that it’s getting better over there. I just don’t see it. You can’t build up brand new apartments and give out habitat homes and act like shyt is sweet. Anyway good luck to both them people man. I’m glad to see somebody doing something.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
The pandemic really fukked uptown up smh. I thought I wanted to live in or near uptown but I’m good living in Concord. I might move closer to Charlotte but I’ll just stay in Concord. I’m not a big nightlife guy anyway so none of that effects me. I just miss the events like Taste of Charlotte and stuff that got cancelled after covid. The ACC championship is coming in a couple weeks and I’m sure the fanfest either will be scaled back or won’t happen at all smh. That’s all I miss. Also I’m not hanging out in the city at night unless I’m on the clock. Too much bullshyt happening. I think the city exploded too quick and the leadership was not ready at all! Never mind the fact that they be changing leadership damn near every election. Yeah I never understood the Epicentre. I would say this shyt can’t last the way it is especially with all the shyt that was going on there. I don’t know what’s going to happen to it now. Hopefully shyt gets better, I’m not in the demo that the city is trying to pull in so I’m good.

The airport is laughable. That’s another tell tale sign this city didn’t properly plan for growth. It’s not a major hub.

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
The airport is laughable. That’s another tell tale sign this city didn’t properly plan for growth. It’s not a major hub.

There’s been knock down drag out fights over the airport..even getting that runway and terminal extension was beastly. Very strong proponent wants to build a whole new airport to accommodate the traffic instead of doing shyt bit by bit...and I agree. Airport is hemmed in by 485, Wilkinson and Billy Graham..not too much fukking space to keep doing enlargements.

Daps
Gold Line extension set to open in January 2021 - Q City Metro

Gold Line extension set to open in January 2021
The Phase 2 project will add 2.5 miles (and 11 stops) to the 1.5-mile route that opened in 2015.
Gold-Line-1.jpeg

JCSU's Biddle Hall is seen through one of the Gold Line passenger platforms along Beatties Ford Road. (QCity Metro)
By Glenn Burkins
December 7, 2020

The Gold Line streetcar extension will begin carrying passengers sometime next month, according to the city’s latest update. That’s good news for the residents and businesses affected by road closures and related construction.

The extension — called Phase 2 on city websites — will add 2.5 miles of track (and 11 new passenger stops) to the 1.5-mile route that opened in 2015.

Why it matters: The extension is expected to spur economic development along Beatties Ford Road, a historically Black corridor long neglected by government and business.

The extension also will provide a new travel option for JCSU students and West End residents heading east toward uptown Charlotte.

According to the city’s update, workers will spend the rest of December and part of January completing a “punch list” of last-minute fixes, and no date has been announced for when the first passengers will board.

Even when Phase 2 is opened to riders, work along the track will continue. Landscaping, for example, won’t begin until Fall 2021, when the weather is most conducive to planting grass and trees.

Some good news: After nearly two years of road closures and traffic detours, the section of Beatties Ford Road near JCSU has been reopened.

Some bad news: Cars traveling behind a streetcar on that stretch of Beatties Ford will be forced to stop at each platform because the street has no passing lane. Each stop should take about 20 seconds, officials estimate.

Gold-Line-1-1-1024x683.jpeg

With no access to passing lanes, drivers on Beatties Ford Road will be forced to stop behind streetcars. (QCity Metro)
When Phase 2 opens, the line will extend west from the CATS uptown transit hub to the Beatties Ford Road/French Street intersection, then east to Sunnyside Avenue near the Elizabeth neighborhood. Stops will include JCSU, Johnson & Wales University, Trade & Tryon streets, Central Piedmont Community College, Novant’s Presbyterian Hospital and Hawthorne Lane.

CATS has contracted to purchase six hybrid streetcars from Siemens, each 85 feet long with 56 seats and a capacity to carry 255 passengers. Each costs about $40 million.

Here are some other Gold Line facts we culled from city websites:

Gold-Line-3-1024x683.jpeg

• The Phase 2 project was budgeted at $150 million, with the city and federal government splitting the cost evenly. Phase 2 was included in President Barack Obama’s FY2016 budget.

• Passenger service will run seven days a week from 5 a.m. to 2 a.m. During peak hours, riders waiting for a streetcar should anticipate a 15-minute wait between arrivals. On Sundays and off-peak hours, the wait time will be 20 to 30 minutes.

• Each stop along the Gold Line will feature artwork that is reflective of the respective community. Below is an example of windscreen art for the Wesley Heights stop, by George Bates of Brooklyn, N.Y.

unnamed.jpg

• A Phase 3 is planned that would further extend the Gold Line, but funding that work is pending.

Still have questions about the Gold Line? Try this link.

Daps
HotBox Next Level Kitchen to plant roots in Historic West End - Q City Metro

HotBox Next Level Kitchen to plant roots in Historic West End
The Concord eatery is part of the growing number of businesses backed by Historic West End Partners.
Michael-Bowling-HotBox-West-Charlotte.jpg

Chef Michael Bowling in one of his first tastings after announcing that HotBox Next Level Kitchen will expand to the Historic West End. Photo: QCity Metro
By Katrina Louis
November 10, 2020

Chef Michael Bowling has long wanted to open a restaurant in west Charlotte. He’s one step closer now that his Concord concept, HotBox Next Level Kitchen, will expand to Five Points in Historic West End early next year.

Bowling will launch in January as a catering food truck while he works with Historic West End Partners to find a permanent location. His goal is to help alleviate the food desert and increase food security on the west side of town.

Nearly 15% of Mecklenburg households are experiencing food insecurity — reduced quality and variety of food or reduced and disrupted eating patterns — according to data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Mecklenburg’s rate is higher than the state (13.9%) and the U.S. (11.1%) percentages.

Historic West End falls within a group of Mecklenburg zip codes — 28205, 28206, 28208, 28212, 28216, 28217 — designated as a Public Health Priority Area by the local health department. County health officials have linked the zip codes with higher rates of chronic diseases due to factors like lack of access to nutritious foods and safe places to exercise.

“Even though that area is going through major change, major grocers don’t want to come over there, which is a problem,” Bowling said. “We’re going to create jobs and hire people that live within the area because unemployment is still really high. If we can do something to help the community financially, we’re going to.”

QCity Metro thanks its sponsors. Become One.
Like many ventures launching in the area, Bowling’s opportunity came after a conversation with J’Tanya Adams, president of Historic West End Partners. She oversees the organization advocating for economic and cultural development along the Beatties Ford Road corridor. She has been called a “powerhouse,” a community force determined to make things happen along the corridor.

JTanya-Adams-Historic-West-End-Partners-1024x682.jpg

J’Tanya Adams (left) manning a table to give away free Historic West End t-shirts ahead of the 5Points Forward virtual meeting on Nov. 5, 2020. Photo: QCity Metro
For business owners willing to be part of the community and hit the ground running, Adams says the partners will find something that works.

“It is a matter of people reaching out to us that want to be here, and have some resources, whether they’re willing to be here in a pop-up capacity, a micro-retail capacity or a storefront capacity,” she said.

[Related: In the shadow of JCSU, Dianna Ward is creating a new retail environment]

Becoming part of the community
Bowling has long wanted a presence in Historic West End. His sister and business partner, Joy, lives in the neighborhood. He roomed with her for a while after his divorce. He loved the community but couldn’t find affordable space to open up shop. Eventually, Bowling landed a location in downtown Concord.

Over the summer, Adams called him about setting up a long-term food truck in Five Points — the area near the intersection of Beatties Ford Road and West Fifth Street. It’s his latest effort to kickstart a food truck after a three-year run of HotBox Next Level Street Food, which shut down in 2017.

“He’s desired to open a place in the West End, and, of course, the real estate went through the roof before he could obtain a space,” Adams said. “It’s such a shame that he lived in the community, and people didn’t get a chance to experience him.”

Adams encouraged the chef to apply for the Center City Small Business Innovation Fund, an initiative to help small businesses impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic and the economic downturn. Bowling received a $40,000 grant funded by the Knight Foundation, Honeywell, Duke Energy and Bank of America.

Most of the money went toward the 20-foot food truck he found in Atlanta that will be decked out “with all the equipment we could possibly want,” Bowling said. He expects the truck to be completed by the end of the year, in time to soft launch in January before rolling out full service in February.

Bowling will continue managing the flagship location of HotBox Next Level Kitchen, which he opened last year inside the taproom of Concord’s Southern Strain Brewery. In August, HotBox won $25,000 from Discover’s Eat It Forward Program, aimed to help Black-owned restaurants impacted by the coronavirus pandemic. Part of the winnings helped pay down debt accumulated during the pandemic and to employees who took pay cuts and fewer hours. He also donated to Heal Charlotte’s fundraising campaign to turn the Baymont Inn off of Sugar Creek Road into a transitional housing campus.

HotBox-NC-Bowling-siblings-1024x683.jpg

Business partners and siblings, Michael (left) and Joy (right) Bowling, received $25,000 from Discover’s Eat It Forward Program to help their restaurant, HotBox Next Level Kitchen, recoup financial losses caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. Photo: Jonathan Cooper
Most important, Bowling says both awards stressed the importance of a rainy-day fund. In September, sales at HotBox were still down 60% from where they were pre-Covid, but he said they were making enough money to pay the bills.

“It’s very important that we have a cushion because of the whole pandemic situation. In case of another emergency, we’re not closing without money in the bank,” he said.

With the Charlotte operation underway, Bowling says he’ll add a new hire responsible for prepping food for both locations. Looking down the road, he plans to operate the westside food truck for a year and then open his first standalone restaurant. He talked about offering a summer program to give away bag lunches to neighborhood kids.

“We want to be part of the community, not just in the community.”

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
HotBox Next Level Kitchen to plant roots in Historic West End - Q City Metro

HotBox Next Level Kitchen to plant roots in Historic West End
The Concord eatery is part of the growing number of businesses backed by Historic West End Partners.
Michael-Bowling-HotBox-West-Charlotte.jpg

Chef Michael Bowling in one of his first tastings after announcing that HotBox Next Level Kitchen will expand to the Historic West End. Photo: QCity Metro
By Katrina Louis
November 10, 2020

Chef Michael Bowling has long wanted to open a restaurant in west Charlotte. He’s one step closer now that his Concord concept, HotBox Next Level Kitchen, will expand to Five Points in Historic West End early next year.

Bowling will launch in January as a catering food truck while he works with Historic West End Partners to find a permanent location. His goal is to help alleviate the food desert and increase food security on the west side of town.

Nearly 15% of Mecklenburg households are experiencing food insecurity — reduced quality and variety of food or reduced and disrupted eating patterns — according to data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Mecklenburg’s rate is higher than the state (13.9%) and the U.S. (11.1%) percentages.

Historic West End falls within a group of Mecklenburg zip codes — 28205, 28206, 28208, 28212, 28216, 28217 — designated as a Public Health Priority Area by the local health department. County health officials have linked the zip codes with higher rates of chronic diseases due to factors like lack of access to nutritious foods and safe places to exercise.

“Even though that area is going through major change, major grocers don’t want to come over there, which is a problem,” Bowling said. “We’re going to create jobs and hire people that live within the area because unemployment is still really high. If we can do something to help the community financially, we’re going to.”

QCity Metro thanks its sponsors. Become One.
Like many ventures launching in the area, Bowling’s opportunity came after a conversation with J’Tanya Adams, president of Historic West End Partners. She oversees the organization advocating for economic and cultural development along the Beatties Ford Road corridor. She has been called a “powerhouse,” a community force determined to make things happen along the corridor.

JTanya-Adams-Historic-West-End-Partners-1024x682.jpg

J’Tanya Adams (left) manning a table to give away free Historic West End t-shirts ahead of the 5Points Forward virtual meeting on Nov. 5, 2020. Photo: QCity Metro
For business owners willing to be part of the community and hit the ground running, Adams says the partners will find something that works.

“It is a matter of people reaching out to us that want to be here, and have some resources, whether they’re willing to be here in a pop-up capacity, a micro-retail capacity or a storefront capacity,” she said.

[Related: In the shadow of JCSU, Dianna Ward is creating a new retail environment]

Becoming part of the community
Bowling has long wanted a presence in Historic West End. His sister and business partner, Joy, lives in the neighborhood. He roomed with her for a while after his divorce. He loved the community but couldn’t find affordable space to open up shop. Eventually, Bowling landed a location in downtown Concord.

Over the summer, Adams called him about setting up a long-term food truck in Five Points — the area near the intersection of Beatties Ford Road and West Fifth Street. It’s his latest effort to kickstart a food truck after a three-year run of HotBox Next Level Street Food, which shut down in 2017.

“He’s desired to open a place in the West End, and, of course, the real estate went through the roof before he could obtain a space,” Adams said. “It’s such a shame that he lived in the community, and people didn’t get a chance to experience him.”

Adams encouraged the chef to apply for the Center City Small Business Innovation Fund, an initiative to help small businesses impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic and the economic downturn. Bowling received a $40,000 grant funded by the Knight Foundation, Honeywell, Duke Energy and Bank of America.

Most of the money went toward the 20-foot food truck he found in Atlanta that will be decked out “with all the equipment we could possibly want,” Bowling said. He expects the truck to be completed by the end of the year, in time to soft launch in January before rolling out full service in February.

Bowling will continue managing the flagship location of HotBox Next Level Kitchen, which he opened last year inside the taproom of Concord’s Southern Strain Brewery. In August, HotBox won $25,000 from Discover’s Eat It Forward Program, aimed to help Black-owned restaurants impacted by the coronavirus pandemic. Part of the winnings helped pay down debt accumulated during the pandemic and to employees who took pay cuts and fewer hours. He also donated to Heal Charlotte’s fundraising campaign to turn the Baymont Inn off of Sugar Creek Road into a transitional housing campus.

HotBox-NC-Bowling-siblings-1024x683.jpg

Business partners and siblings, Michael (left) and Joy (right) Bowling, received $25,000 from Discover’s Eat It Forward Program to help their restaurant, HotBox Next Level Kitchen, recoup financial losses caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. Photo: Jonathan Cooper
Most important, Bowling says both awards stressed the importance of a rainy-day fund. In September, sales at HotBox were still down 60% from where they were pre-Covid, but he said they were making enough money to pay the bills.

“It’s very important that we have a cushion because of the whole pandemic situation. In case of another emergency, we’re not closing without money in the bank,” he said.

With the Charlotte operation underway, Bowling says he’ll add a new hire responsible for prepping food for both locations. Looking down the road, he plans to operate the westside food truck for a year and then open his first standalone restaurant. He talked about offering a summer program to give away bag lunches to neighborhood kids.

“We want to be part of the community, not just in the community.”
The black restaurant culture is getting so good here. I love seeing them expand to other locations.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
?

The Charlotte airport is the 11th busiest airport in the country

but it’s too small to accommodate. Southwest Airlines don’t fly out of Charlotte. Back in February I flew to Phoenix and had to get a connecting fly back because there were no direct flights.

airport is too small.