The Official Charlotte, NC Discussion Thread

Daps

Even white families with the best of intentions are working to figure out how to responsibly integrate into these formerly minority neighborhoods.

Johnny Wakefield moved into Grier Heights earlier this year. When his realtor first showed him Heflin Street, the boulevard of rebuilt homes, he initially recoiled. The kids playing on the street were all white in one of Charlotte’s most historic black neighborhoods.

But his family gets by on a single teacher’s income, so they qualified for downpayment assistance that comes with the affordable housing program managing these new homes. After a year of credit checks and paperwork, they ultimately moved in.

[Agenda story: What does affordable housing mean in Charlotte?]

The Wakefields are trying their best to be neighborly. Johnny and his wife Abbey play with his daughter in an inflatable pool and invite neighbors from both Heflin and surrounding streets to sit down and connect. He’ll soon put a picnic table there as well to help build those relationships.

“It’s delicate,” he said. “We try to go about all of it delicately, slowly, and intentionally, recognizing our privilege here and trying to leverage that for some good.”

Daps
I ate at this ice cream place in Matthews called Jolly Rolls that makes "rolled" ice cream like this:

o.jpg

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Breh Concord Mills is blowing the fukk up. Prices are rising and the building all types of shyt East of the bridge.

@Darth Plagueis @Wenzel Dashington I hit up that C. Holcomb show on Sunday. shyt was dope. Corey impressed me this time more than he did when I saw him last year. Pretty much all new material :ehh:
It's crazy how much Concord Mills has grown in 2 years. I am always at that mall so I pretty much watched them change that shyt up. It's getting to where I won't have to go to Charlotte unless I want to go to a game or something lol

Daps
New Charlotte boutique has 2 special stories: How the owner made it to uptown is just 1 of them

lemondforlead

LeMond Crayton-Hart inside the new uptown location of House of LeMond. DAVIE HINSHAW dhinshaw@charlotteobserver.com

New Charlotte boutique has 2 special stories: How the owner made it to uptown is just 1 of them

By Cristina Bolling

cbolling@charlotteobserver.com

July 26, 2017 5:41 PM

LeMond Crayton-Hart can only liken it to a roller-coaster ride: His first vintage menswear boutique, House of LeMond, an eclectic shop he opened in 2013 in Area 15 near NoDa, was the car pulling out of the station.

His move to a bigger location off Monroe Road in southeast Charlotte was the strenuous, clickety-clack ascent up the hill.

And last month, he reached a surprising and exhilarating apex – the chance at an $800-a-month, three-year lease on a prime storefront space uptown at 116 W. 4th St., within shouting distance of bustling Tryon Street.

“The only thing I can do is raise my hands in exhilaration,” Crayton-Hart said earlier this week from his new uptown shop, a masculine dapper-den with jazz on the speakers, incense burning, racks of vintage and gently used men’s clothing and shoes, baskets of ties and pocket squares, and decorative cases holding cigars and lapel pins.

The bargain rent was offered to Crayton-Hart with matchmaking help from Charlotte Center City Partners, in part because of city leaders’ and the leaseholder’s desire to have more “soft retail” uptown. The spot had been occupied for years by custom men’s clothier Abbeydale, but owner David Watkins wanted a more private location for his by-appointment-only services. (Abbeydale is now at 112 S. Tryon St.)

So when the 900-square-foot spot became vacant, Chris Hemans, director of retail for Charlotte Center City Partners, brought in Crayton-Hart and a handful of other local business owners to have a look. Hemans’ job is to help match businesses with spots uptown, although the decision to bring in House of LeMond was ultimately made by the space’s leaseholder.

Crayton-Hart, who calls fashion his “ministry” and customers his “kings,” said he took one look at the space and started crying.

“I could tell from the feel, the aura, the spirit – just the windows. This has always been a dream for me, being uptown.”

HOUSEOFLEMOND_03

Davie Hinshaw dhinshaw@charlotteobserver.com

Crayton-Hart has long had a following in Charlotte’s fashion and small-business scene, and is known for his dedication to the community: He has given suits and fashion advice to unemployed men trying to land and keep a job and, for years, has sponsored Saturday lunches for homeless people near his former shop location near NoDa. (His store is not consignment, but he welcomes donations of gently used clothing for him to sell, or to give to those in need.)

HOUSEOFLEMOND_06

Personal service is one of Crayton-Hart's hallmarks, and he says he strives to get men outside of their style comfort zones. All of his locations have featured mannequins styled to the nines with bow ties, pocket squares and lapel pins.
Davie Hinshaw dhinshaw@charlotteobserver.com
The move from there to Monroe Road brought more square footage, he said, but it was low on foot-traffic and many months he was barely turning a profit.

Within the last year, he brought in new business partners: Sheena Pickett, who operates Alpha Male Nail Care, and Sterling Green, who runs a shoeshine business. They operate out of his space and pay a portion of the lease. Both made the move to the new location.

Once he was offered the space uptown, Crayton-Hart found a tenant to assume his lease on Monroe Road, and worked night and day to get the new space ready to open. The upfitting took just two weeks.

And in the few days since the store opened, foot traffic has been immense, Crayton-Hart said. He’s already increasing his influence beyond the walls of his store, planning events with local leaders and Friday lunchtime “dapper” walks through uptown, when he’ll offer men a complimentary pocket square or lapel pin, as well as a coupon for discounts at other uptown businesses he connects with.

On Wednesday, veteran Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police detective Garry McFadden walked in with an armful of suits for Crayton-Hart to distribute to those who need them. And shopper Barry Schwartz, who works at nearby Packard Place, showed up with vintage cameras for Crayton-Hart’s window display: He swapped them for a vintage phone Schwartz’s son had fallen in love with on a prior visit.

Hemans, of Charlotte Center City Partners, said he believes the House of LeMond “experience” will draw shoppers.

Crayton-Hart “is from Charlotte and has a passion for Charlotte, and has a great story. It was a great marriage of individual space and a concept coming together at the same time,” Hemans said. “Everything is about having an experience now. When you step in here, it’s like you’re taking a step back in time.”

A recent study of uptown’s offerings showed a 5:1 ratio of restaurants to shopping, Hemans said. “When you look at soft goods throughout uptown, whether it’s shoes or apparel, there are lots of categories we need to work on to try to attract.

“This is at least a step in the right direction.”

GUCC03895.1

Daps
http://www.charlottefive.com/where-...ollective-and-event-space-that-just-reopened/

Dupp&Swat creates a home for the creative community with its new artists collective and event space
By Katie Toussaint -
July 28, 2017

Imagine a space that contains a hangout lounge, a retail room for local fashions and wide stretches of walls to provide a platform for local artists. By day, people are free to stop in and shop the art and retail, perhaps take a seat in the lounge and breathe in the mellow scents of incense.

By night, events are likely to sweep into the space, with music, food and drinks.

This is exactly what Davita Galloway and her brother Dion want to bring into their artists collective and event space, Dupp&Swat, which they just reopened at 2521 The Plaza Thursday night. The entrance to the space can be found on the far right end of a strip of shops. Look for the bright blue window trim.

Lounge space at Dupp&Swat

Lounge space at Dupp&Swat
Their original space on North Davidson Street closed last year after the building was sold. As discussed at a Creative/Mornings Charlotte talk that featured Davita, this was a space where people could create through fashion, performance, music, visual arts — or any other form they pleased.

“In order for our art and creative community to survive, artists must survive,” she said.

The name of their space comes from a combination of their nicknames “Dupp” (for Dion) and “Swat” (for Davita).

A glimpse of retail at Dupp&Swat
The creative vibe is already coming back to Dupp&Swat on The Plaza. Prior to the grand re-opening party, the walls and retail space were filling up with art and clothing by at least 10 artists and designers. The works will rotate out as they sell.

Event and artist space at Dupp&Swat

Event and artist space at Dupp&Swat
“It’s not even about me and what I like,” Davita said about the selection. “It’s about the artists and the designers having an opportunity, having a platform. Because it may not be my aesthetic, but surely someone walking through the door will be attracted to it.”

While this is Dupp&Swat’s “studio location,” the brand is also opening a second “concept location” at Camp North End’s Boileryard, likely this year. The studio location will be a themed, curated space that rotates every six months and splits donations between a designated nonprofit and Dupp&Swat’s philanthropic arm, CrownKeepers. Crownkeepers seeks to offer hands-on training and art and trade-based education to people without creative and entrepreneurial opportunities.

New Boileryard tenants, Dupp&Swat included, will be showcased tonight during the weekly Friday Nights at Camp North End event from 5-9 p.m. A grand opening date for this concept location has yet to be set.

For now, artists are free to drop in at The Plaza location.

“I want them to come home,” Davita said as she stood in the new space. “This is home. Not only for us but for every artist. Each artist. I want them to know that this exists for them. There are a lot of places in Charlotte that say ‘no’ or don’t provide an opportunity or a platform and we do just that. We are strictly here for artists and their creative expression.”

Visit Dupp&Swat’s studio location

Hours: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday. Open Sunday and Monday for events only.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Belmont actually. I was looking through social media and found kool kutz. Anyone ever been there?