Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
I wish wlad was in his prime right now, he’d line them up and wreck them all in 2 years:wow:

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
BJS has fought

Lemeuix
Eubank Jr
Willie Monroe
Andy Lee

The thought that he has to prove some shyt N fight Andrade :russ:

who has Andrade fought besides press conference security:hhh:

Delusional ass nikkas :mjlol:
full

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Putting Wilder vs Ortiz on the 3rd of March is stupid as fukk from Showtime.

HBO already has Kovalev vs Mikhalkin and Bivol vs Barrera for that day and Kovalev can pull a lot of viewers.
Putting fights on the same date as the concurency is some stupid, petty shyt, both HBO and Showtime does time-to-time, they would rather hurt the other's business than maximizing their own profit. In this case it's especially stupid given that we are talking about a Wilder fight which is one of the priorities of Showtime now because the building up of Joshua vs Wilder and because Wilder is one of their more well known names who is hot atm because his viral KO. I don't believe that they couldn't pick another date and only this one was possible.

So they have an American heavyweight fighter who's coming off some highlight reel KO and hot atm
He fights against his most serious opponent in his career next
With the Joshua fight being back in everyone's involved mind

"How we should raise his awareness further and continue to build up Joshua vs Wilder...?"
"Put him against a card on HBO featuring one of their most well known fighters"
:snoop::what:

I tell you what's gonna happen
Kovalev card outdraws the Wilder card because HBO has a lot bigger subscriber base too
this will make Wilder look worse, Showtime too plus it's gonna make Hearn/Joshua dissatisfied how things going with building up that big fight
so they are kicking themselves in the nuts and all that for what...? Snatching some viewers from Kovalev who's already an established name on HBO? Slowing down HBO's transition to Bivol who first has to beat Barrera anyway?

It's just stupid

Last edited:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
I dont care....bombs away:banderas:

giphy.gif

:bombzquad: #BombZquad

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Putting Wilder vs Ortiz on the 3rd of March is stupid as fukk from Showtime.

HBO already has Kovalev vs Mikhalkin and Bivol vs Barrera for that day and Kovalev can pull a lot of viewers.
Putting fights on the same date as the concurency is some stupid, petty shyt, both HBO and Showtime does time-to-time, they would rather hurt the other's business than maximizing their own profit. In this case it's especially stupid given that we are talking about a Wilder fight which is one of the priorities of Showtime now because the building up of Joshua vs Wilder and because Wilder is one of their more well known names who is hot atm because his viral KO. I don't believe that they couldn't pick another date and only this one was possible.

So they have an American heavyweight fighter who's coming off some highlight reel KO and hot atm
He fights against his most serious opponent in his career next
With the Joshua fight being back in everyone's involved mind

"How we should raise his awareness further and continue to build up Joshua vs Wilder...?"
"Put him against a card on HBO featuring one of their most well known fighters"
:snoop::what:

I tell you what's gonna happen
Kovalev card outdraws the Wilder card because HBO has a lot bigger subscriber base too
this will make Wilder look worse, Showtime too plus it's gonna make Hearn/Joshua dissatisfied how things going with building up that big fight
so they are kicking themselves in the nuts and all that for what...? Snatching some viewers from Kovalev who's already an established name on HBO? Slowing down HBO's transition to Bivol who first has to beat Barrera anyway?

It's just stupid
so you gotta hope there is a cancellation or postponement

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
so you gotta hope there is a cancellation or postponement
850736538.jpg.0.jpg
Photo by Abbie Parr/Getty Images

On March 3, it looks like we will have boxing at Madison Square Garden, and on HBO…and at Barclays Center, from a card portions of which will be featured selectively on Showtime.

I make no secret, I don’t think this sort of scheduling benefits fans OR media, and thus, the sport as a whole.

But, I don’t pretend to speak for all fans or all media. Certainly, from my viewpoint, would I rather that the powers that be that decide these things choose to allow rivals to carve out their space and then receive the same space in return? Yes indeed, because on the night of March 3, unless Elon Musk or someone comes up with a game-changer invention right quick, I will not be splitting myself into two versions, and hitting both arenas. I will have to be in Manhattan, or Brooklyn.

And fans…depending on the timing of the cards, quite likely they will have to juggling dueling streams of content. There will be channel flipping…or maybe DVR taping, and avoiding social media, so they can watch one channel’s fare and then the other ones,’ without having the results leaked to them.

Not ideal…

I asked Bob Arum, in the business since 1966, about this practice, about the cablers scheduling on the same night. Could he offer some clarity on why programmers do this, from his point of view?

“Ego? I have no fukking idea. It is absolute stupidity,” Arum told me. “Once boxing again becomes vigorous occasionally there will be dueling dates, because there are only so many dates on the calendar, but that’s not the case now. Peter Nelson at HBO deliberately counter programmed us twice after we announced dates,” Arum declared.

“I think now Showtime’s Stephen Espinoza is countering Nelson, and that’s not good for either of them. Between the two of those channels there’s not a hell of lot of watchers! They are fragmenting a small audience. Showtime and HBO have small audiences. It hardly affected us, with the big mega-phone, with ESPN. (Arum is referring to the night of Dec. 9, when HBO had an Orland Salido v Mickey Roman topped offering the same night as ESPN’s Top Rank offering, with a Vasyl Lomachenko v. Guillermo Rigondeaux mainer. The ESPN show unfolded in NY, the HBO one in Cali.)

“HBO and Showtime are not sports networks, they have much smaller megaphones but they do have great entertainment, but (having counter-programming dueling dates) makes for a squeaky megaphone. The press is not robust. What the fukk are they doing counter programming for?”

I reached out to the HBO people to ask about their take on counter programming and to Showtime, and neither outlet responded with material for an on the record explanation. I also asked the New York State Athletic Commission about the March 3 situation, which will have NYSAC stretched thin, having to staff events in Brooklyn and Manhattan. We will get back to you on that, a spokesman told me.

So, it’s looking like many media will be forced to chose to cover a card topped by Deontay Wilder v Luis Ortiz at Barclays Center or the one in Manhattan, with Sergey Kovalev topping the slate, against under-double-dog Igor Mihalkin, supported by a Dmitriy Bivol-Sullivan Barrera semifinal. HBO hasn’t put out their start time for March 3, or the length of their window. Showtime hasn’t officially announced the March 3 event.

I do recall that Kathy Duva, on the night of Sergey Kovalev’s win over Vyachesalv Shabranskyy, November 25th, said that she wanted Krusher to return to the Garden March 3, so she stuck her flag in the ground that early, for the record.

As for the NYSAC, we can speculate that they are eager to have these big-time events in the region, and figured if they put their foot down and said only one card can unfurl that night in NY, then NY would have lost out to Vegas or Cali…and this dueling dates, bi-borough setup was preferable to that.

And, since Showtime hasn’t made it official yet, I suppose all this might be much ado about nothing. But regardless of whether we see another counter programming mashup March 3, here’s hoping the suits decide that it is wiser and preferable to give each other room to work, because that will result in more eyeballs added to the mix, ultimately.

Anyway…chalk it up to boxing being boxing, I guess.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Only a fool would watch Kovalev vs a bum over Wilder vs Ortiz though:hubie:
the real good fight on that card is Bivol vs Barrera and that's arguably just as good or better fight than Wilder vs Ortiz but that only matters for more serious boxing fans, point is that Showtime hurting themselves more with this than HBO. HBO has a bigger subscriber base and Kovalev (let him fight anyone) gravitates a lot of viewers which are a lot of potential but now lost viewers for Wilder vs Ortiz.