Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
Serious question, is this not just throwing a 1-2? I'm only just starting to box but just earlier this week I was sparring someone who kept parrying my jab and countering so I tried throwing more 1-2s to catch them after the parry but before the counter and it worked ok (I still ate a few counters). Obviously me an my opponent are both trash and nowhere near floyd/baldomir/maidana but it seems to me like a similar principle and I definitely don't think I was being particular clever or smart in doing that

yeah. it is just a 1-2. but you learned something important. you throw your jab to read him. to see what he likes to do. that will tell you what you will need to do.

if he is trying to slip your jab outside and come back up under with an uppercut like this.

YAVXy4X.gif

you let him slip the jab outside then drop the right hand on him when he comes back up under with the uppercut. let him run into it.

j4nprO6.gif

and thats it. provided, of course, you guessed right. that is, how do you know he will go to slip outside when he does, or if he will come back up under it with an uppercut at all, and not say, come back over the top?

qBEB89b.gif

or just step back altogether?

KJRL81p.gif

its all a gamble. i have good news and bad news. you can win, you can lose, and sometimes you will even hit thin air. some guys like to gamble, and then there are some guys out there that like to be the ones who let the gamblers hit thin air. anyway, you will have to decide who you would like to be. its all a gamble, anyway. but remember try not to overthink. the cardinal sin, in all of boxing, is to overthink. boxing is instinctive. you go with your gut. you pull the trigger. if you cant do that, youll always be gun shy. thats no way to be.

when you were a kid, do you remember playing hot hand? boxing and hot hand are the same thing. its all reflexes and all instincts with an element of chance as well. try to remember that the next time you throw a jab.

Last edited: