Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
MMA matchamaking is better than boxing matchmaking, that's true but you know that the only reason for this is that in MMA is younger so that means it's less fukked up by politics yet right? :usure:

I don't say that what you say it's not true but there's no point in rumbling about it and comparing it to a sport which is not even 20 years old or so, just blew up recently and one single organization holds all the aces so far.
Let's see how good MMA matchmaking and politics are 50 years from now or so, that would be a better starting point for a comparison...

Let's see what happens when MMA gets 3-4 Dana Whites all with their own agendas, goals, fighters, connections, etc... and not just one
Easy to talk about smooth matchmaking if someone is in a monopoly position is an up and coming sport... :yeshrug:

Who you talking about breh?:heh:

OG_StankBrefs

Da Spice...
Daps
Reppin
Caladan
Just thought bout somethin wit dis whole "suicidal" AB shyt...

Didn't Floyd witness one of his close friends commit dat on Facetime? Maybe dat played a big part in him wantin to flip da script n "save" AB like dis.:jbhmm:

I personally still think AB was just on some attention whorin bullshyt tho. :francis:

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Who you talking about breh?:heh:
@no1es run this compared Conor's matchmaking to PBC fighters'. While can't everything beblamed on simply the age difference between the 2 sport it also can' be ignored.
MMA (UFC) matchmakers are simply in a more comfortable position now. They have no real competition plus their sport is still young and up and coming which means they can make whatever fight they want cause they hold all the aces plust they can make multiple fight for each of their fighters in a year cause they don't have to overpay them in attempt to keep them on their side.

Suspicious Dingo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sydney, Austalia
I can't remember who it was, not a well known name, but in the build up to the Brook fight GGG said when he was trying to get a shot fighters were ducking him. Right before his HBO contract he wanted a fighter that would move his career and he offered to fight for free and the other guys manager said it isn't the money, we will never fight you.

I wish I could remember who it was. :snoop:

Sounds like :duck: to me (on GGG's part, not yours).

Newzz

Supporter
Daps

CRAWFORD OUT UNTIL 2017 WITH NO HBO DATES

Crawford_Postol-victory-mikey-williams-toprank-358x224.jpg

PHOTO BY: MIKEY WILLIAMS/ TOP RANK

OCT
BY MITCH ABRAMSON

Terence Crawford wanted to fight three times this year.

The 140-pound champion hoped to gift his hometown of Omaha with a final fight of 2016 following his sterling performance against Viktor Postol in July. But those plans were scrapped, along with the idea of a third fight, says Crawford’s manager Cameron Dunkin. HBO couldn’t accommodate the junior welterweight unified titleholder, and barring something unforeseen, Crawford won’t fight again until the first quarter of 2017, leaving him with just two fights in 2016 (and one of those was on HBO PPV), Dunkin told RingTV.com.

“We all want him to be fighting three times a year and wouldn’t mind him fighting four times,” Dunkin said in a phone interview. “The more he’s out there the more exposure he’s going to get and it will turn him into a name. He comes off a great win against Postol and all of a sudden he’s off for six or seven months. It’s not good.”

HBO’s effort to oblige its biggest stars has at times stalled in the face of a boxing budget stretched thin this year. The competition to get dates on the network has been fierce, and Crawford suffered from not being able to secure a lucrative fight on pay-per-view with Manny Pacquiao on Nov. 5 after Jessie Vargas was chosen. He was also hurt from trying to make a fight with boxers advised by Al Haymon, many of whom had unrealistic expectations about what they should get paid, Dunkin said.

“You can’t pay them more than Terence,” Dunkin said. “You can’t pay the two together. Where are you going to come up with three or four million dollars? You’re not. These guys are like, ‘Man, I want to make $4 million,’ you know (Adrien) Broner.”

Times have certainly changed at HBO, says Dunkin, who recalled a time at the network when a number of his fighters appeared with frequency as many as three times on HBO annually, “and they all made millions and millions of dollars and that’s not where we’re at now and it’s going to get tougher for these guys,” he said.

Crawford (29-0, 20 knockouts) does not have an exclusive contract with HBO, according to a source. However, Dunkin said that promoter Bob Arum has always done business with HBO, making it somewhat unlikely to think that Crawford could end up on rival Showtime despite Arum’s suggestion earlier this year he could bring his fighters to Showtime to get dates. HBO would likely have the right-of-first-refusal if something like that ever happened, the source said. “Bob talked about Showtime and stuff like that,” Dunkin said. “But at the end of the day Arum has built his guys on HBO and that’s where the guys have come from.”

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps

CRAWFORD OUT UNTIL 2017 WITH NO HBO DATES

Crawford_Postol-victory-mikey-williams-toprank-358x224.jpg

PHOTO BY: MIKEY WILLIAMS/ TOP RANK

OCT
BY MITCH ABRAMSON

Terence Crawford wanted to fight three times this year.

The 140-pound champion hoped to gift his hometown of Omaha with a final fight of 2016 following his sterling performance against Viktor Postol in July. But those plans were scrapped, along with the idea of a third fight, says Crawford’s manager Cameron Dunkin. HBO couldn’t accommodate the junior welterweight unified titleholder, and barring something unforeseen, Crawford won’t fight again until the first quarter of 2017, leaving him with just two fights in 2016 (and one of those was on HBO PPV), Dunkin told RingTV.com.

“We all want him to be fighting three times a year and wouldn’t mind him fighting four times,” Dunkin said in a phone interview. “The more he’s out there the more exposure he’s going to get and it will turn him into a name. He comes off a great win against Postol and all of a sudden he’s off for six or seven months. It’s not good.”

HBO’s effort to oblige its biggest stars has at times stalled in the face of a boxing budget stretched thin this year. The competition to get dates on the network has been fierce, and Crawford suffered from not being able to secure a lucrative fight on pay-per-view with Manny Pacquiao on Nov. 5 after Jessie Vargas was chosen. He was also hurt from trying to make a fight with boxers advised by Al Haymon, many of whom had unrealistic expectations about what they should get paid, Dunkin said.

“You can’t pay them more than Terence,” Dunkin said. “You can’t pay the two together. Where are you going to come up with three or four million dollars? You’re not. These guys are like, ‘Man, I want to make $4 million,’ you know (Adrien) Broner.”

Times have certainly changed at HBO, says Dunkin, who recalled a time at the network when a number of his fighters appeared with frequency as many as three times on HBO annually, “and they all made millions and millions of dollars and that’s not where we’re at now and it’s going to get tougher for these guys,” he said.

Crawford (29-0, 20 knockouts) does not have an exclusive contract with HBO, according to a source. However, Dunkin said that promoter Bob Arum has always done business with HBO, making it somewhat unlikely to think that Crawford could end up on rival Showtime despite Arum’s suggestion earlier this year he could bring his fighters to Showtime to get dates. HBO would likely have the right-of-first-refusal if something like that ever happened, the source said. “Bob talked about Showtime and stuff like that,” Dunkin said. “But at the end of the day Arum has built his guys on HBO and that’s where the guys have come from.”

man yeah I been callin out this bullshyt. fukk hbo u know. craw lowkey been to inactive for 2 years straight. first it was they had to get a new contract with arum and now its hbo don't go enough money. its bullshyt.

and what he mean by broner want 4 mill? did he say that for craw...he cant be talkin bout pac cause broner wanted 10 mill plus backend for that.

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
He needs to go strongarm them on some Ice Cube type stuff( and have Arum there too) and threaten to go to another promoter or network. These dudes egos ( Oscar Bob and Al) are sidelining some serious talent...Spence is complaining Thurman looks antsy you know Crawford is livid. This fractured environment is killing their careers.

Heck you can't even switch promoters cause the other guy is just as bad.

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
:dwillhuh:

This Mexican Independence Day would've been better:dwillhuh:

Why do we have to wait a whole nother year for a fight that could've happened this year if Canelo didn't blatantly duck him?:dwillhuh:

That's the problem with Boxing now...fans becoming "okay" with having to wait multiple years for the Top 10 to face each other:mjcry:
Lol aight breh we've been over this a thousand times.

Canelo has never fought at 160, you wanna see him fight Triple G at his first at 160? That's you, I wanna see Canelo fight a live body at 160 then fight triple G, because I want to see the best version of the fight.

Now could it have been handled a lot differently and Canelo started fighting Lemieux this May instead of Kahn and then a BJS type, then triple G in march or so? Yea definitely. But that didn't happen and it is what it is. Am I okay with it? It is what it is my man. Not gonna make me be a non boxing fan or anything like that. So :yeshrug: dunno what to tell ya breh

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Found it:
Gennady Golovkin has always wanted to fight in the UK but kept getting rejected

This Saturday he will fulfil that ambition when he defends his IBF and WBC middleweight titles – his WBA belt will not be on the line – against IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook at the O2 in London.

But finding opponents for the Kazakh destroyer – who has stopped 32 of his 35 victims – has been a big problem ever since the 2004 Olympic silver medallist turned professional.

Golovkin’s main aim has been to unify the middleweight division but it has also been to grow his name worldwide.

So when fighters were doing everything they could to avoid him in early 2013, his team came up with a novel idea.

British middleweight Darren Barker was chasing a shot at a world title so Golovkin’s manager Oleg Hermann got in touch with his promoter Eddie Hearn with an offer that would include Golovkin fighting for FREE.

But Hearn – unaware of the dangers that Golovkin possessed back then – was quickly told where to go by Barker’s trainer Tony Sims when he giddily phoned up thinking he had pulled off a great deal.

The simple answer was ‘F*** off’.

Hearn said: “They phoned up and asked if Barker wanted to fight him for the world title and I said ‘yes, yes’.

“They said all they needed were some sponsorship logos on the ring and some tickets. No money. I was like ‘f***’.

“I phoned Tony Sims and said ‘I got Darren a shot against this guy Golovkin... Tony?’. He went ‘f***off, no’. I said ‘he doesn’t even want a purse’ and he said ‘f*** off no’.”

Golovkin added: “I remember yes. I said it doesn’t matter what deal just give me a chance.”

The Kazakh’s promoter Tom Loeffler revealed how Team Golovkin were just desperate to get fights as world champions kept running away from the dangerous puncher.

He said: “Oleg was struggling to get anyone in the ring with him.

“They were basically willing to fight for free just to get the fights and they knew if they came over here against a popular fighter like Barker it would get a lot of publicity for his career.

“They fought in Canada, they fought in Panama, Monte Carlo, Ukraine, Kazakhstan. They were willing to fight for free to get the recognition, the activity and to keep proving he is the best champion.”

Golovkin will not be fighting for free on Saturday night with a cool £3m cheque heading back with him to his California home and most expect him to bring all his belts too.

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
And they have no clout to make a major move because unlike when Floyd or Oscar bought out their contracts NOBODY WOULD CARE because they have no clout to anyone outside of hardcore fans...only 1 who has that is Nelo.

Pitiful.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Found it:
Gennady Golovkin has always wanted to fight in the UK but kept getting rejected

This Saturday he will fulfil that ambition when he defends his IBF and WBC middleweight titles – his WBA belt will not be on the line – against IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook at the O2 in London.

But finding opponents for the Kazakh destroyer – who has stopped 32 of his 35 victims – has been a big problem ever since the 2004 Olympic silver medallist turned professional.

Golovkin’s main aim has been to unify the middleweight division but it has also been to grow his name worldwide.

So when fighters were doing everything they could to avoid him in early 2013, his team came up with a novel idea.

British middleweight Darren Barker was chasing a shot at a world title so Golovkin’s manager Oleg Hermann got in touch with his promoter Eddie Hearn with an offer that would include Golovkin fighting for FREE.

But Hearn – unaware of the dangers that Golovkin possessed back then – was quickly told where to go by Barker’s trainer Tony Sims when he giddily phoned up thinking he had pulled off a great deal.

The simple answer was ‘F*** off’.

Hearn said: “They phoned up and asked if Barker wanted to fight him for the world title and I said ‘yes, yes’.

“They said all they needed were some sponsorship logos on the ring and some tickets. No money. I was like ‘f***’.

“I phoned Tony Sims and said ‘I got Darren a shot against this guy Golovkin... Tony?’. He went ‘f***off, no’. I said ‘he doesn’t even want a purse’ and he said ‘f*** off no’.”

Golovkin added: “I remember yes. I said it doesn’t matter what deal just give me a chance.”

The Kazakh’s promoter Tom Loeffler revealed how Team Golovkin were just desperate to get fights as world champions kept running away from the dangerous puncher.

He said: “Oleg was struggling to get anyone in the ring with him.

“They were basically willing to fight for free just to get the fights and they knew if they came over here against a popular fighter like Barker it would get a lot of publicity for his career.

“They fought in Canada, they fought in Panama, Monte Carlo, Ukraine, Kazakhstan. They were willing to fight for free to get the recognition, the activity and to keep proving he is the best champion.”

Golovkin will not be fighting for free on Saturday night with a cool £3m cheque heading back with him to his California home and most expect him to bring all his belts too.
:wow:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
@Newzz, funny you started in about GGG being ducked, because I saw this earlier this week and was waiting until I had time to post it.

From Bread's chat:

GGG may have to wait for one of the junior middleweights to move up. The fact is that no one at 160 wants to fight him. Until I see one of the known elite fighters in his weight class step up that’s the mindset I’m keeping. People got excited after Brook landed a few punches. Then reality kicked in after they found out his face was broken.

Boxing fans are some of the biggest morons I have ever come across. No matter what common sense facts you are presented with some of you guys still stand on your moronic opinion.

I stand by my views on GGG. The only fight he missed was Andre Ward and that wasn’t at middleweight. Every other fighter he and his team were in negotiations with or targeted, avoided him. Every single one!

I disagree with Floyd that Canelo beats GGG easy. Anything can happen in a fight but I just don’t see it that way. I have always believed that Canelo is not upside down. His advantage in handspeed and GGG’s style plays into his hands. But GGG has an iron chin, he punches like a mule and the pace that he sets is much more frenetic than anything that Canelo is comfortable with.

Now you just told on yourself with one of your statements. If GGG was such easy work then why would he be the favorite over Canelo who is 50 fights deep into a very good career.

As my man Dougie Fischer has keenly pointed out. GGG victims Curtis Stevens, David Lemiuex and Willie Monroe are avoided fighters. Stevens is one of the best pure punchers in boxing. His catch-counter move is one of the best in the game. And when he’s hot, he’s hot. Just ask the undefeated Patrick Texaira.

Lemiuex seems revamped from early career setbacks. He’s also one of the top 10-20 punchers in boxing.

Willie Monroe has an awful style to look good against. He’s fast, athletic and he’s a southpaw. Top that off with the fact that he doesn’t commit to any punches he strictly tries to move and score points. The only way you look good against him is if you are a Blitzer like GGG.

GGG youtubed all 3 of those guys. None of the other top middleweights will even fight one of them. That should tell you something.

For some reason the Danny Jacobs fight is not getting made… Why do you think that is? Jacobs has said he wants a few more fights. Every fighter is always asking for more money or more time when it comes to facing GGG. How can that be GGG’s fault that Jacobs wants tune-ups?

You guys who aren’t getting hit by him can say what you want from the sidelines about him being overrated.

GGG fought one smaller fighter who happens to be huge for welterweight and you guys go crazy with the “look he’s picking on smaller guys.” Stop it! He was trying to fight two UK middleweights and they got cold feet. Kell Brook got presented with life changing money and he took the fight. Brook’s promoter volunteered him, GGG didn’t ask for him to pick on him.

Throughout history elite smaller fighters have challenged elite bigger fighters. I can’t remember one getting the flack for doing just once like Golovkin just did especially since no one would fight him. Let me refresh your memory.

Lots of you same guys claim Ray Leonard wanted no part of Aaron Pryor. But Pryor was a lightweight who couldn’t get a title shot so he decided to move to 140. Going by your standards Leonard would have been picking on the smaller Pryor if the fight was ever made at 147. You cant please an overciritic.

Marvin Hagler’s 4 biggest fights were against Ray Leonard, John Mugabi, Tommy Hearns and Roberto Duran. All 4 started out much smaller than him.

Carlos Monzon took on the smaller Emille Griffith twice and Jose Napoles. Both were under 5’7 and welterwegiths taking on the huge Monzon.

Michael Nunn was able to functionally compete at 175lbs. In his prime at 160 he took on the career long welterweight in Marlon Starling.

Bernard Hopkin’s middleweight reign had the scalps of 3 excellent welterweights Simon Brown, Oscar De La Hoya and Felix Trinidad. Then when he moved to lightheavyweight he took on miidleweights Kelly Pavlik and Winky Wright.

Terry Norris repeatedly called out Pernell Whitaker and Julio Cesar Chavez. He was very close to fighting Felix Trinidad and Oscar De La Hoya. He had great middleweights to fight in Julian Jackson, Gerald McClellan, Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins and James Toney to fight during his prime. He never moved up from 154. Instead he took on Maurice Blocker, Meldrick Taylor and Simon Brown as some of his title defenses. Today he is still viewed and rightfully so as one of the best junior middleweights ever.

I can literally go on for days about this. All of the fighters I named were great fighters and fighting smaller men was really no big deal. Sometimes the speed of the smaller man can give you more problems than the man your size. You guys bring up Kell Brook like GGG invented something new. It’s insane that you repeat this myth.