Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
and ab tryna back there to fight burns. so which is it?:skip:

It's weak...AB just maxes out at 140 (as far as his talent peak) so he has to stay there & run things with an iron fist vs moving up to 147.

You know it's weak too breh:heh:

After Crawford & AB, there's no elite fighters there:manny:

Amare's Right Hook

Southeast World Champion
Daps
He clocked our fighter ... :upsetfavre:

The game is the game.

Marlo-One-Way.png

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
ANDY FURILLO

SEPTEMBER 8, 2016 8:31 PM

Recalling the day when Bobby Chacon had no idea where he was
PYxKpoLtN35UqhOjMqpmDA

Bobby Chacon, left, punches Carlton Sparrow in a June 6, 1984 bout. Chacon won via technical knockout.Sacramento Bee file
BY ANDY FURILLO

afurillo@sacbee.com

Bobby Chacon wobbled through the room in the clutch of a caregiver. On leave from the convalescent hospital where he lived in Hemet, the fighter who was one of California’s best ever and certainly in the top rank of its most exciting had long suffered from dementia.

But in the Taix restaurant in Los Angeles, at a meeting of the Golden State Boxers Association in early June, it wasn’t hard to see the long-term damage inflicted on Chacon, even from fights like the thriller he won the December afternoon in 1982 when he beat Rafael “Bazooka” Limon at the Memorial Auditorium for the World Boxing Council super-featherweight championship.

Chacon fans who idolized him in his prime found him unintelligible amid awkward introductions 34 years later, like the luncheon afternoon in L.A. What do you say to a guy who you once saw climb into the ring with Ruben Olivares and bring a crowd to its feet roaring his name during a middle-rounds rally – “Bobby! Bobby! Bobby!” – before he finally succumbed to one of the greatest punchers of all time? What do you say to a guy like Chacon, who twice won world titles but now had no idea where he was?

You tell him how much you appreciated his courage in the ring and the thrills he gave you, and you see his little smile of appreciation, and you accept his condition as a consequence of his giving you everything he had while you shouted his name with thousands of others in the spectacle of bloody ring warfare. You try to rationalize your responsibility for this man’s condition. It is futile.

2World titles won by Bobby Chacon

It was not surprising to learn Wednesday that Chacon, 64, died as the result of a fall in his convalescent hospital. His 67 professional fights and 431 rounds left him punch drunk, as boxing left so many of the greats, including The Greatest, Muhammad Ali.

Even if his own memory had been beaten out of him, Chacon will be remembered for the nine fights he had at the Memorial Auditorium in the 1980s that made Sacramento a big-time fight town, in an era when the sport rode sky-high behind fighters such as Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns, Larry Holmes and Julio Cesar Chavez at their peak.

“He was it,” former lightweight champion Tony Lopez said Thursday of Chacon, with whom he sparred for three years before winning three titles himself. “Back then, what was Sacramento, especially in the sports world? He gave a lot of recognition for Sacramento. Who doesn’t remember, ‘Bobby! Bobby! Bobby!’?”

The Limon fight in Sacramento might have represented Chacon’s greatest moment in the ring. Bleeding and knocked down twice in earlier rounds, Chacon, in front of a roaring capacity crowd at 16th and J, began to figure out the southpaw from Mexico in the final rounds. Chacon took control in the 15th round and floored Limon with back-to-back straight right hands just before the bell to end the fight. The knockdown ultimately decided the contest in Chacon’s favor when he came out on top on two of the three judges’ scorecards by a single point. Ring Magazine called it the Fight of the Year, as it did Chacon’s 1983 victory over Cornelius Boza-Edwards in Las Vegas.

By the time Chacon moved to Northern California in 1982, he already had fought three times against the legendary Olivares – and beat him once. He’d beaten tough former bantamweight champion Chucho Castillo and other big names such as Frankie Crawford and Arturo Pineda. He’d also stepped in against Alexis Arguello in 1979 and lost his first shot at a WBC championship to maybe the greatest fighter ever to come out of Nicaragua. He knocked out future longtime featherweight champ Danny “Little Red” Lopez in a 1974 epic that filled the L.A. Sports Arena and could have drawn 45,000 had they waited a few months and held it outside in the Coliseum, according to promoter Don Chargin.

The tragic turn in Chacon’s life came in March 1982, just before his second fight in Sacramento, against Salvador Ugalde. Chacon’s wife, Valerie, already had begun to notice the mental slippage in her man, who was only 31 years old at the time. She implored him to quit fighting. He did not. Chacon’s decision to keep fighting left his wife distraught, and she took a rifle to her head on their ranch in Oroville and pulled the trigger.

CHACON’S DECISION TO KEEP FIGHTING LEFT HIS WIFE DISTRAUGHT, AND SHE TOOK A RIFLE TO HER HEAD ON THEIR RANCH IN OROVILLE AND PULLED THE TRIGGER.

“He had started forgetting things,” Chargin said. “She was calling either me or my wife (Lorraine) three or four times a week, in the last month before she took her life. ‘Don, make him quit,’ She said, ‘I can’t stand to look at him like this. He doesn’t sleep; he walks around at night.’ But he just wouldn’t quit.”

Chacon insisted on going through with the Ugalde fight.

“He went into the ring crying,” Chargin said. “He cried during the fight, and he left the ring crying.”

The fighter’s spirit pushed Chacon beyond his wife’s suicide, to the glory of his triumphs over Bazooka Limon and Boza-Edwards. Chacon beat Freddie Roach at Memorial before anybody heard of Manny Pacquiao, whom Roach would later train. Chacon defeated Arturo Frias and Rafael Solis. He suffered a terrible knockout loss to Ray “Boom Boom” Mancini in Reno for the World Boxing Association lightweight championship, which sealed the deal on his broken brain.

“When Bobby started, he was the most beautiful little boxer,” Chargin said. “You couldn’t hit him. You couldn’t touch him. He used to sit down with me, and I’d say, ‘Keep doing that. You’re not supposed to get hit.’ But he said, ‘I like that crowd screaming for me.’ ”

Decades after Limon, Bobby Chacon showed up at the restaurant in Los Angeles. When somebody popped in front of him with a camera, his eyes beamed wattage as he instinctively broke into the pose every fighter takes, his fist clenched to your chin. After the camera snapped, Chacon’s eyes went dark, the spark of coherence retreating into his battered brain, like the head of a turtle burrowing back into its shell.

Andy Furillo: 916-321-1141,

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
ADVERTISEMENT

BOXINGSCENE ARCHIVE
ADVERTISEMENT

article_updated_icon.png
Updated at 03:32 AM EDT, Sat Sep 10, 2016 Read More By : Boxing Clever

Roach: Pacquiao Thinks He Beat Mayweather - But I Didn't!

Manny Pacquiao will be one month shy of his 38th birthday when he challenges World Boxing Organisation welterweight champion Jessie Vargas in November, a mature boxing age that gives his trainer cause for concern.

Though Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach is confident that Pacquiao still has "a lot of fight left in him", he has told the Filipino southpaw that the very first time he sees him a step slower in the ring, he will have to retire.

"I do have some concerns over his age. I put all the factors together and so forth and I have a deal with Manny," Roach told Reuters. "I tell him, 'When you start slowing down just one step, I'm going to tell you to retire.'

mayweather-pacquiao_14.jpg

"We have an agreement that he will retire when I tell him but I haven't seen that step lost yet. In his last fight, he fought a very good fight. We saw a lot of aggressiveness come out of Manny.

"He has the killer instinct coming back and I like that a lot. With his religion, it (the killer instinct) got away from him for a little while but he is very dedicated to his religion also and that makes the training a little more difficult."

Pacquiao, an eight-division world champion, scored a unanimous decision win over American Timothy Bradley in his most recent bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in April.

That was his first fight in nearly a year after his loss to undefeated American Floyd Mayweather in a heavily hyped welterweight showdown, and it improved his career record to (58-6-2).

Asked if Pacquiao would be making a one-and-done comeback, Roach replied: "No. he will definitely fight a few more times after November 5. We would like to get a Mayweather rematch done before we are done. Manny thought we won that (first) fight but I didn't."

In what was billed the "Fight of the Century" in May last year, Pacquiao lost on a unanimous decision to Mayweather Jr but said later he had been hampered by an injury to his right shoulder that he suffered during a pre-bout sparring session.

"The thing is, if Manny didn't hurt himself in the fourth round against Mayweather, I think it would have been a big difference," said Roach, who has been voted trainer of the year by the Boxing Writers Association of America on seven occasions.

"We would love to get Mayweather back in the ring (out of retirement) and if Mayweather doesn't come, there is this young kid, Terence Crawford.

"He's a good fighter and he might be the next Mayweather," Roach said of Crawford, 28, who is the WBO and WBC light welterweight champion. "He can run like hell. We'll see."
Boxing News, Results, Interviews and Video - Boxing Scene

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
SuikodenII said:

RJJ saying what I been saying about GGG...if nobody wants to fight you in your weight class, then move up!:mindblown:

You don't just stay in the same division & claim you're being ducked and people won't fight you...then go up to another division to look for opponents who will:birdman:

#SOG_soldier

New York knicks and phoenix suns stan
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
RJJ saying what I been saying about GGG...if nobody wants to fight you in your weight class, then move up!:mindblown:

You don't just stay in the same division & claim you're being ducked and people won't fight you...then go up to another division to look for opponents who will:birdman:
Nah I think lil g did the right thing canelo moving to 160 soon they gone fight breh. Lil g just gone have to bow down