Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I admit I didnt think Floyd would be THIS big, but he played it perfect. He was cast in the bad guy role so he did a good job molding and selling it. The key is....you cant be losing fights. As loved as Manny is and hated as Floyd is, who still was the bigger PPV star? Floyd's bridge to superstardom was ODLH though. Everyone needs that bridge/conduit.

You've got a point about Canelo, and the others as well. If Canelo gets Cotto, and dominates him.....that will surely increase his marketability. He need not let Cotto retire without getting him in the ring. I thought AB was on his way, but again, he lost to someone he wasnt "supposed" to lose to. Otherwise, he was in perfect position.

This is where the promoters become very key.

As far as the 140-160lb stars, you are correct....but if you have 140lb star and a 160lb star, hard to make it work as the 160lber will likely be moving up rather than down.

We talked about this before. To be a PPV star, you have to be damn near unbeatable. We seen May/Pac go on runs where it doesn't look like anybody can beat them. I haven't seen that from anybody out right now (except Ward who is not a draw). Even with Canelo, he is VERY good. His matchmaking has been beautiful though. With the exception of the Floyd fight, he's never really in a fight where you can pick against him. Maybe Lara, but he doesn't throw enough punches.

I have to see more. He has to win fights he isn't suppose to win. I'm sure he'll meet GGG 2016 or 2017. He's the biggest opponent available besides Cotto.

Suiken

What time it is?
Daps
Reppin
PH
Canelo just took Kirkland's soul

t t
11255802_630128313754510_1444144819629116779_n.jpg

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Omar Figeroua struggled with Burns too much for my liking. nikka was fighting like a more athletic unmotivated Chavez jr with all that leaning forward taking punches routine he kept doing. Beltran and Crawford handled dude way easier. :snoop: This nikka defense has to improve too. He still gave a nikka an exciting fight though, but damn just tighten shyt up breh.

Broner/Figeroua is the fight I wanna see.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We talked about this before. To be a PPV star, you have to be damn near unbeatable.

You dont have to be unbeatable though, only Floyd did because he was not knocking guys out....there are other ways.

If you come through like a whirlwind like Tyson did, being utterly feared by opponents....while being a polarized figure at the same time....

If you are a sex symbol with KO power and somewhat built in fan base and crossover appeal like ODLH....

If you are articulate, flashy, flamboyant, and charismatic like Ali or SRL.

If you are a Manny Pacquiao type figure who carries the weight of a nation on his back, has a tremendous feel-good story, and can blaze through multiple divisions while annihilating future HOFers...

If you win fights you arent supposed to win or have some history-making event or landmark. One if not both of these applies to all fighters mentioned above.

All of those guys had losses prior to receiving their biggest paydays.

Last edited:

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
welp its true....:francis:should be easy ko for wilder...well at least povetkin(if he wins) is the mandatory later this year.

Heavyweight Eric “Drummer Boy” Molina (23-2, 17 KOs) says he’s fighting WBC champion Deontay Wilder (33-0, 32 KOs) on June 13. “For about two weeks prior to then we kind of had an idea that I was one of three guys Wilder was looking at,” Molina told South Texas newspaper The Monitor. “We got together with him and his people (in Las Vegas), and it became apparent that it would be me.” The bout is expected to take place at the Bartow Arena in Birmingham, Alabama. Showtime, which currently has no upcoming fights announced, is expected to televise.