Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You never know.

true, but chances are he is right. you have to find 2 fighters with enormous skill level and a number of high profile fights under their belts. those 2 fighters also must be extremely popular to the mainstream to say the least. they have to be top grossing athletes in the U.S. at least. even if all of these things fall in line, the tricky part is their weight classes would have to be in fighting range at the same time. the "easiest" weight class to make this happen is Heavyweight. You would need a superstar American HW to be a part of this and the American HW landscape has been poor for years now. No more Tysons, Holyfields, or Bowes.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm just :scust: at all of the disrespect shown to this fight and how HBO (didnt watch Sho replay) repeatedly tried to make this out to be some farce. People dont understand, this is "boxing" not UFC. Floyd has mastered the art to where nobody can beat him. Everyone wanted to see if Pac could do it because Pac is an ATG. He couldnt. So now the fight is trash and not worth the money? Well, it was worth it to me. I am not gonna go deep on all the things that couldve been done better but to blame Floyd or Manny even for how the fight turned out to say it was overhyped and such is just ridiculous.

You can take Canelo-Kirkland, Matthysse-Prov, and another FOY candidate and put them on the same card and see how many people pay $100 for it. :francis:

All these "fans" talkin shyt....but how big was Corrales-Castillo 2? they didnt make $5 mil between them....and the evidence was there that you would potentially get another war.

Maybe if we had a Hagler and Hearns in this era, that could be a fight of such magnitude...but I still dont think it would be as big. Also....we didnt know the first fight would be that good.

Guys like Kirkland get their brains beat out and he is already slurring his words. For what? So people can praise him for being a warrior? :camby: cut the check please.

dont get me started on how the public was REALLY duped with that undercard. For a fight of the century, they couldve had some other equally themed fights on the undercard. Hell, I wouldve loved to have seen Rios vs Ortiz on there. At least gimme some good title fights though.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
true, but chances are he is right. you have to find 2 fighters with enormous skill level and a number of high profile fights under their belts. those 2 fighters also must be extremely popular to the mainstream to say the least. they have to be top grossing athletes in the U.S. at least. even if all of these things fall in line, the tricky part is their weight classes would have to be in fighting range at the same time. the "easiest" weight class to make this happen is Heavyweight. You would need a superstar American HW to be a part of this and the American HW landscape has been poor for years now. No more Tysons, Holyfields, or Bowes.
Nah. Canelo is going to break this record. With who? I dunno, person might not even be a professional yet :heh: But Canelo is going to be the new rainmaker in boxing, and the last 35 years tells us you're more likely to get superstar talents in 140-160 than around any other divisions in boxing.

Swift, One-Time, Crawford, GGG, Erroll Spence, AB, Quillin, Brook, Imam etc etc there are so many guys that are on the cusp and just really entering the maturity of their careers it'd be impossible to count any of them out as being the next superstar fighter. Floyd didn't even hit PPV until his 34th fight, piggy-backing off of Gatti's popularity despite the fact he was about to win a title in a third division. shyt, who on Earth would have predicted that someone that fought like Floyd fukking Mayweather would become the PPV king even in 2006 after he fought Baldomir?

We've got a lot of exciting fighters all with their careers on the upswing and they're only just about to start fighting each other.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah. Canelo is going to break this record. With who? I dunno, person might not even be a professional yet :heh: But Canelo is going to be the new rainmaker in boxing, and the last 35 years tells us you're more likely to get superstar talents in 140-160 than around any other divisions in boxing.

Swift, One-Time, Crawford, GGG, Erroll Spence, AB, Quillin, Brook, Imam etc etc there are so many guys that are on the cusp and just really entering the maturity of their careers it'd be impossible to count any of them out as being the next superstar fighter. Floyd didn't even hit PPV until his 34th fight, piggy-backing off of Gatti's popularity despite the fact he was about to win a title in a third division. shyt, who on Earth would have predicted that someone that fought like Floyd fukking Mayweather would become the PPV king even in 2006 after he fought Baldomir?

We've got a lot of exciting fighters all with their careers on the upswing and they're only just about to start fighting each other.

I admit I didnt think Floyd would be THIS big, but he played it perfect. He was cast in the bad guy role so he did a good job molding and selling it. The key is....you cant be losing fights. As loved as Manny is and hated as Floyd is, who still was the bigger PPV star? Floyd's bridge to superstardom was ODLH though. Everyone needs that bridge/conduit.

You've got a point about Canelo, and the others as well. If Canelo gets Cotto, and dominates him.....that will surely increase his marketability. He need not let Cotto retire without getting him in the ring. I thought AB was on his way, but again, he lost to someone he wasnt "supposed" to lose to. Otherwise, he was in perfect position.

This is where the promoters become very key.

As far as the 140-160lb stars, you are correct....but if you have 140lb star and a 160lb star, hard to make it work as the 160lber will likely be moving up rather than down.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I admit I didnt think Floyd would be THIS big, but he played it perfect. He was cast in the bad guy role so he did a good job molding and selling it. The key is....you cant be losing fights. As loved as Manny is and hated as Floyd is, who still was the bigger PPV star? Floyd's bridge to superstardom was ODLH though. Everyone needs that bridge/conduit.

You've got a point about Canelo, and the others as well. If Canelo gets Cotto, and dominates him.....that will surely increase his marketability. He need not let Cotto retire without getting him in the ring. I thought AB was on his way, but again, he lost to someone he wasnt "supposed" to lose to. Otherwise, he was in perfect position.

This is where the promoters become very key.

As far as the 140-160lb stars, you are correct....but if you have 140lb star and a 160lb star, hard to make it work as the 160lber will likely be moving up rather than down.

And especially if he beats GGG