Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
Taylor's mental state still under review

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Boxer Jermain Taylor, who is facing charges in two gun-related incidents, could be released on bond but made to wear an ankle monitor, get counseling and submit to random drug and alcohol testing, according to a psychiatrist who evaluated him at his attorneys' request.

Pulaski County judge Leon Johnson said Tuesday that he'll wait to decide if the champion middleweight boxer can go home until state doctors have finished their evaluation of his mental state. Taylor was scheduled to undergo neurological testing Wednesday.

Dr. David Streett of Rivendell Behavioral Health Services hospital testified that the boxer's lawyers had requested for him to be admitted to the hospital and evaluated because there were "concerns he was not really stable to be outside a hospital,'' The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported.

Streett said the 36-year-old Taylor has likely suffered brain damage from his boxing career, which makes it difficult for him to control himself when using alcohol or marijuana. The psychiatrist also said the boxer has no one in his life who he feels he can trust.

"If he can't control himself, then he doesn't need to be out,'' the judge said. "If he can't control his impulses, that's a problem.'' He also said, "I don't want to keep him locked up. I'm trying to figure out what's best for him'' in regard to Taylor receiving treatment.

Taylor faces charges stemming from the August shooting of his cousin at his home in Maumelle. He is also charged with aggravated assault and endangering the welfare of a minor after police said he threatened to shoot a family during a Martin Luther King Jr. parade in Little Rock.

In his assessment, Streett noted that Taylor expressed a desire to change and live a better life. The doctor described Taylor as being "a perfect gentleman'' while he was hospitalized.

Johnson said Taylor will remain in custody -- though at the hospital -- at least until the judge receives the doctor's written findings and a treatment plan for Taylor. The findings from the state doctors could take weeks.

I been telling nikkas, it's them knockouts he's had from a few years ago. Something is a bit off. I just don't remember him being like this back in the day.

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
If he failed that mental test than something is off.

I remember seeing a pic of him and I didn't recognize him... he just looks empty ir something .. I hope they find out...

Looks like his charges won't be as harsh due to his state?

L68

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

De La Hoya Gives Take on The Al Haymon Takeover

By Steve Kim

So is Oscar De La Hoya, who's company is one of the leading promoters in the sport of boxing, particularly concerned about what looks to be a hostile takeover of the business by Al Haymon, who is procuring one network after another to showcase his burgeoning roster of fighters?

Having dates - big and small - is paramount to any company and as of now, Haymon is grabbing more than the lion's share of them. Haymon's company, Haymon Boxing, recently announced television deals with NBC and Spike TV, and the powerful manager/adviser has closed in on Telemundo and is reportedly in talks with CBS Sports, BET and ESPN - and he also has a close relationship with Showtime.

"Look," said Oscar to BoxingScene.com. "Obviously we are not concerned or worried about what Al Haymon is doing, of going to the networks and buying the time on every single platform. We have relationships with other networks, with various networks and so we're going to continue doing what we're doing and lock up dates and continue working closely with HBO and growing and identifying the next young champions of tomorrow. So there's no concern, whatsoever. I mean, how many TV channels do we have that we watch?"

On this day from the Belasco Theater in Downtown Los Angeles, Golden Boy Promotions officially announced the re-launch of the rebranded 'LA Fight Club' series that will premiere on March 6th as a monthly card from this venue and feature young prospects. These cards will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1 and Fox Deportes. De La Hoya noted during the press conference that the goal is to eventually go twice a month.

Cards like this are key to nurturing and developing talent, especially for Golden Boy, which lost a good deal of marquee names recently in their legal settlement with Al Haymon.

When asked if he felt Haymon was out to drive everybody out of the business - De La Hoya responded: "Well, look, the biggest players in boxing, right now, are Golden Boy and Top Rank. We're not going anywhere. That's for sure."

He added - "In boxing it's really hard and difficult to take over because the next day a new fighter is popping up, new talent is coming up, a new promoter is popping up. So it's very, very difficult. As long as we do our job and we take care of business... look, I'm worried about what I do. I worry about what Golden Boy does and right now we have the next generation of - not only champions but superstars for the sport of boxing.''