Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
and oh yeah...he may have sustained that broken jaw early in the fight. he was doing a lot of talking and complaining to the ref and had his mouth wide open a lot of times while Maidana was cracking him.

Thurman vs Maidana would be a good fight but I think Thurman too much for Marcos. Thurman is flawed but his movement would give Maidana problems. I aint mad at GBP for the fights they give us. They did us right this year. They are not the best at matchmaking though.

wondering what they are cooking up for Maidana now....hope its a rematch with AB.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
I thought Mitchell getting obliterated by Arreola was the humble of the year, Broner got him beat.

The difference was most cats expected the heavyweight version of Khan to get knocked out by Arreola. Broner lost a fight he should have won if he was focused. Mitchell was pretty much a doomed man going into that bout.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought Mitchell getting obliterated by Arreola was the humble of the year, Broner got him beat.

nah, even Mitchell knew he shouldnt have been in the ring with Arreola. that was one of the easiest fights to pick in a while. it reminded me of Tua vs Moorer. when both of those fights were announced most people were like :what:

:snoop:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the other thing I wanted to say is...and I have said this here before....the culture of boxing now is different when relating to business. people expect fighters to be undefeated. you learn from losses as a young fighter. it really doesnt mean much by losing if you are serious about your dedication to the sport. fighters today are too protected and they dont fight as frequent as the old times. so it makes development difficult.

I think fighters should take the biggest fights they can get...not the best risk/reward fight which is the norm.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
nah, even Mitchell knew he shouldnt have been in the ring with Arreola. that was one of the easiest fights to pick in a while. it reminded me of Tua vs Moorer. when both of those fights were announced most people were like :what:

:snoop:

I actually met Moorer in the gym after that fight, and every time I saw dude all I could think about was him getting stretched mad early by Tua. This nikka used to shadow box slow as hell to R&B music.

Went to the gym early one day and this nikka was in the ring throwing punches slower than Margarito in quick sand all while listening to some fukking Jaheim. :dahell:
Training like that it was no surprise that he was looking shytty in fights.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
I actually met Moorer in the gym after that fight, and every time I saw dude all I could think about was him getting stretched mad early by Tua. This nikka used to shadow box slow as hell to R&B music.

Went to the gym early one day and this nikka was in the ring throwing punches slower than Margarito in quick sand all while listening to some fukking Jaheim. :dahell:
Training like that it was no surprise that he was looking shytty in fights.

:russ:

Jae

CREATOR OF BADCULTURE.NET - VISIT & CLICK SOME ADS
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles/Inglewood All Day Every Day
At least they're moving Thurman along the right way. 2014 should be his year. Bring a world title back to Florida breh.

Thurman's gets better and better every fight and keeps a really low profile. JSK is a pretty LIVE dude in the ring. Each fight a flaw of Thurman shows and he comes back next fight having corrected the issue.

Last edited:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Right, exactly why I'm saying he needs to change his style, ASAP. The thing with Mayweather's style of defense is that it carries a HIGH risk/reward with it, and if you can't utilize it correctly, you're better off not even attempting to mimic it because if you don't know what you're doing it'll get you fukked up...

its not really the Mayweather style though. its the Philly Shell. AB looks more like James Toney without the counter-punching ability or ring generalship. AB still has an amateur style of punching. also, the shoulder-roll style of Mayweather is different from the PS because you tuck your chin and catch punches with the INSIDE of your glove and shoulder while protecting the inside of your body. its mainly used for defense...as you notice Floyd doesnt counter much from that posture (mostly on the ropes). Floyd does go in to the PS from time to time and he counters from that stance. Its not the same though. The MSR (Mayweather Shoulder Roll) is a hybrid of the PS that was modified by FMS and perfected with FMJ. the PS is a countering style, but AB is not great at countering, setting up his man with subtle head and body movement...thus it dont work as well for him as it did for someone like Toney. Toney knocked out plenty mofos with that style. you cant stay in that shell for long periods of time and you have to fight and mix up your attack. AB just sits in that stance and bigger fighters can come right over the top.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
he really isnt as good as advertised. got away with doing that chit with lightweights because of physical advantages. he gotta up his boxing skills. its funny because someone here mentioned he was a more popular version of Lacy. that doesnt seem so far fetched now. Lacy was another guy who needed to up his boxing skills.
That was me and I got a lot of shyt for that comment but I stood by it when I posted it and stand by it today.

AB couldve stayed at 135 and focused on being great there and stepped it up gradually. No way he was gonna beat Maidana without using more movement and boxing skill. the problem is....no pun...but we thought he wouldve been able to outbox Maidana. you cant rely on power and speed. you gotta have some defense and ring generalship.

changing trainers sounds good and all but his issues are more complex than just that. he needs to be at a weight where he can be dominant.

what I would focus on him doing is....getting that rematch with Maidana. (not sure why they didnt have rematch clause) he can beat Maidana this time if he is prepared, then he needs to go back down in weight. maybe to 140 and dominate.

I think his whole team was too gung-ho to get him to PPV status before Floyd retired. the Maidana fight was more of an indictment of his boxing ability than his power at WW.
The thing is I don't think changing trainers will work because I think what Broner does is all Broner can do. He is athletic and has fast hands but he has never had good footwork or great boxing skills. And I don't see a lifetime of thinking you are the shyt and having it co-signed by everyone around you has made him mentally tough enough to make the changes necessary to be more than a decent middle of the road boxer.
And considering how he tends to blow up between fights I don't think he can make 140 easily and routinely.