Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Would have loved to see prime Donaire against Inuoe
Prime Nonito gets Inoue outta there & that’s no knock on Monster. It’s just Nonito is that great & we know he was a CLEAN athlete (not saying Inoue is to either lol) Donaire’s power & counter punching is ATG & he’d be a champ in any era

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio

took place today, on my birthday, 13 years ago..time fukking flies..but man did this fight have me vexed watching..my nikka the punisher had a chip on his shoulder and lara laced him with every cuban left hand he could throw at will lol

shoutout to rico ramos for pulling out a come back from behind brutal one punch KO that night to become champion that night lol

lara being a whole world champion in 2024 :francis:

Eight months after two-time welterweight titlist Paul Williams suffered one of the most monstrous knockouts I have ever witnessed at ringside, a brutal second-round KO at the hands of then-middleweight champion Sergio Martinez in their rematch, many questioned whether Williams would ever be the same. Sadly, the answer was no. In his next fight, Williams faced Erislandy Lara, the onetime Cuban amateur standout who was coming off a draw with Carlos Molina, in a junior middleweight bout. I was ringside covering Williams-Lara at the Adrian Phillips Ballroom, the smaller upstairs arena at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey, where Williams had beaten Martinez in their first epic fight, and what I saw would go down in the pantheon of the most horrendous decisions I have covered.

Williams, a once-dynamic fighter on everyone’s pound-for-pound list, looked dreadful as Lara landed straight left hands almost at will and busted Williams up in a pretty one-sided fight, or so most of us thought. The late HBO unofficial scorer Harold Lederman had it 117-111 for Lara. I scored it 116-112 for Lara and was unable to find a single ringside media member who didn’t also have Lara winning. However, our scores don’t count, so it was bad enough judge Al Bennett scored it 114-114. But judges Hilton Whitaker (115-114) and Don Givens (116-114) absurdly both had it for Williams. The pro-Williams crowd booed the scores, which were all terrible. It was as egregious a decision as I have seen and so bad that New Jersey State Athletic Control Board suspended the three judges indefinitely in a virtually unprecedented move and launched an investigation (though they found nothing untoward). Williams would fight just once more, a win, before he was paralyzed in a motorcycle accident soon after he had landed a fight with the then up-and-coming Canelo Alvarez. Lara, of course, would win a world title, spend the next decade as one of the top junior middleweights in the world and later claim a middleweight belt. Williams-Lara was on July 9, 2011 — 13 years ago on Tuesday. Here is a very limited HBO poster in my collection.

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics

took place today, on my birthday, 13 years ago..time fukking flies..but man did this fight have me vexed watching..my nikka the punisher had a chip on his shoulder and lara laced him with every cuban left hand he could throw at will lol

shoutout to rico ramos for pulling out a come back from behind brutal one punch KO that night to become champion that night lol

lara being a whole world champion in 2024 :francis:

Punisher was my guy and I wanted to see how he would look after Martinez took his head off....

But Lara got Bret Hart screwed that night.