Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
All jokes aside what do you guys think makes these British boxers take so many Ls?

Do you think its coaching, training or just lack of skill?
diego maradona said when he played against england they were letting him get away the kind of stuff that other teams would have been knocking him down, roughing him up for trying to do out there. he said laughingly, that the english play like gentlemen. i never forget that quote.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
diego maradona said when he played against england they were letting him get away the kind of stuff that other teams would have been knocking him down, roughing him up for trying to do out there. he said laughingly, that the english play like gentlemen. i never forget that quote.
Brilliantly referenced. RIP Maradona.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
He has improved a lot, but that speed advantage definitely was the biggest factor in his victory. When he wanted to he was making Berchelt miss whenever he wanted to just using his superior speed. We'll know how much he has truly improved when he fights someone more evenly matched on that plane. Speed when used properly kills though, last night showed that.
when two punchers fight, pick the bigger puncher.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
That's strange cause in football(soccer) English players generally regarded as some of the most physical, rugged ones, especially back then but even now.

Their soccer league Premier League is the best in the world though not because British players but because the many foreing influences both on the front of signed players and trainers, it's really multicultural. With toughness they never had any problems though.

I don't like to generalize too much cause there are plenty different style and level fighters from the UK too like Taylor outlasted Prograis not long ago in a dog fight but I think some of them just have an amateur style and are not used to get walked down the way some of these Mexican fighters walk them down. They seldom have any higher level pressure fighters domestically to get them prepared to fights like that.
Just guessing though... not always true... Like Warrington doesn't have an amateru style, he's just a not very big punching swarmer who decided to go in there and start shyt with a guy with slugger like power. Didn't have these problems with Frampton, Selby or even Galahad.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I don't like to generalize too much cause there are plenty different style and level fighters from the UK too like Taylor outlasted Prograis not long ago in a dog fight but I think some of them just have an amateur style and are not used to get walked down the way some of these Mexican fighters walk them down. They seldom have any higher level pressure fighters domestically to get them prepared to fights like that.
Just guessing though... not always true... Like Warrington doesn't have an amateru style, he's just a not very big punching swarmer who decided to go in there and start shyt with a guy with slugger like power. Didn't have these problems with Frampton, Selby or even Galahad.
Yeah Warrington I wouldn't classify as a hype job..he was arguably the best featherweight in the division before he lost. If he was a hype job he would have been exposed long before he got a title.

I just think a fundamental shift is finally happening with the English school of boxing. Where other type of fighters have finally caught up to them and their style.

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps

Traditionally, in soccer terms, the English have been regards as a more physical, rough style. It’s a known characteristic, attribute. The argument could be made it was to make up for their lack of skill in comparison to their opponents.

Maradona is ‘having a laugh’ there, perhaps even insinuating they tried to get him but weren’t good enough.