Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
the divisions that ppl want to get rid of are among the better divisions in boxing today :heh:..better than most of the glamour divisions in boxing like welter, middle, and HW

divisions like 140 and 154 put a lot of the glamour divisions to shame because they actually move like they are supposed to

122 itself has real legit talent bubbling..its only a matter of time before the right fight pops it off
The fact that they're not a glamour division allows them to move like they're supposed to. The glamour divisions are ones where the money/starpower is at, which why they move the way they do. It's a blessing and a curse.

Boxing is like Baseball, in the sense that it's very old school and cling to the past. So it doesn't surprise me that people want to get rid of those divisions, because in their minds those divisions are looked at as "filler"

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Maurice Hooker in Talks To Face Robert Easter With Eye On Yordenis Ugas
By Dan Rafael

Published On Fri Oct 16, 2020, 08:47 PM EST

Former junior welterweight world titlist Maurice Hooker is in talks with Premier Boxing Champions about a possible fight at 145 pounds against former lightweight titlist Robert Easter Jr. for later this year.

Brian McIntyre, Hooker’s trainer and adviser, told BoxingScene.com on Friday that both camps want to make the bout and that he hopes a win for Hooker will land him a shot at secondary welterweight world titlist Yordenis Ugas after that.

McIntyre said initially PBC was aiming to match Hooker with Josesito Lopez in a welterweight bout to serve as the co-feature of the Errol Spence Jr.-Danny Garcia Fox pay-per-view card on Dec. 5 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, but that the fight fell through.

maurice-hooker%20(27).jpg

McIntyre said then Hooker was discussed as a possible opponent to face Sergey Lipinets on Oct. 24 after Kudratillo Abdukakhorov, whom Lipinets was supposed to fight for a vacant interim welterweight belt in the main event of a Showtime-televised card, was forced out of the fight because of an ongoing visa issue preventing him from traveling to the United States.

“But there wasn’t enough time,” McIntyre said to BoxingScene.

Eventually, unbeaten former Canadian Olympian Custio Clayton was signed to face Lipinets, which led to talk of the fight between Hooker and Easter.

“Then they just started last week about Robert Easter at like 145 pounds,” McIntyre said. “It’s a nice fight. Mo can get a good name on his resume, so I immediately agreed to the fight as long as the numbers are right and the date is right so we can have time to lose the weight. They haven’t said a date yet but probably the end of December. On Wednesday, the Easter camp agreed to the fight but we haven’t really figured out the money yet. But he’s a good name and a former world champion.”

Hooker (27-1-3, 18 KOs), 31, of Dallas, lost his junior welterweight world title by sixth-round knockout in an action-packed and competitive fight with Jose Ramirez in July 2019 in front of Hooker’s hometown fans in Arlington. He bounced back with a quick first-round knockout of journeyman Uriel Perez in December and then was set to face fellow former 140-pound titlist Regis Prograis in April.

However, the coronavirus pandemic caused the fight be postponed and when they tried to reschedule it for this past summer Hooker said he would no longer be able to fight as a junior welterweight and wanted to increase the weight limit to 145 pounds. Prograis agreed to go up some weight but they could not agree on an exact weight limit and the fight was never rescheduled.

Now Prograis is with PBC and set to fight on the Gervonta Davis-Leo Santa Cruz Showtime PPV undercard on Oct. 31 and Hooker, who has parted ways with co-promoters Roc Nation Sports and Matchroom Boxing, also may next fight on a PBC card against Easter.

“I know Easter is a good fighter. I do need somebody to push Mo, which is why I agreed to the fight. I know he’s a good ass fighter,” McIntyre said. “We’ll see if they come up with the money. That’s the main thing. If they come up with the money and we got enough time (to train) then we’ll take the fight.”

McIntyre said Hooker immediately said he would fight Easter when his name came up.

“He said yeah right off the top of his head,” said McIntyre, who added that Hooker has been with him at training camp in Colorado Springs, Colorado, where McIntyre is preparing welterweight world titlist Terence Crawford for a Nov. 14 defense against former titlist Kell Brook.

Easter (22-1-1, 14 KOs), 29, of Toledo, Ohio, lost his lightweight world title by unanimous decision to Mikey Garcia in a July 2018 unification fight. Easter is 1-0-1 since, fighting to a split draw against Rances Barthelemy for a vacant secondary lightweight belt in April 2019 followed by a unanimous 10-round decision over Adrian Granados last October.

Ultimately, McIntyre hopes they can work out the fight with Easter and then move on to challenge Ugas (26-4, 12 KOs), who won a split decision over Abel Ramos to claim a vacant secondary welterweight belt on Sept. 6 in Los Angeles.

“We’ll probably (work with PBC on) a fight-by-fight deal or do a two-fight deal, maybe options, but the end game is I want Mo to fight Ugas,” McIntyre said.

“That’s what I want (early next year). We like that fight. Ugas would be right there for Maurice. That’s what we want. We want the names and the champions at 147.”

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The fact that they're not a glamour division allows them to move like they're supposed to. The glamour divisions are ones where the money/starpower is at, which why they move the way they do. It's a blessing and a curse.

Boxing is like Baseball, in the sense that it's very old school and cling to the past. So it doesn't surprise me that people want to get rid of those divisions, because in their minds those divisions are looked at as "filler"

If there is star power at 140/154, you aren’t seeing undisputed. At 140, you had times where there was the Mayweather/Hatton/Cotto era, then the Bradley era, then the Garcia era, and finally the Crawford era. Crawford was able to become undisputed, because there was literally no star power at 140 at the time. When there is no star power around, unification makes the most sense.

You see how pathetic that is right? In order for undisputed to take place, the division has to be void of star power.:deadmanny:

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
the biggest problem is not the number of divisions solely to me...its the matchmaking that goes on AND the frequency of how much these fighters fight...reducing the number of divisions will just create a jam in the divisions that if fights arent happening more frequently and the right fights arent be made .multiple issues to address...reducing the number of divisions is too much of a knee jerk reaction when about 90% of ppl who post in here started watching boxing with all of these divisions in place

Exactly. Consolidating the divisions isn’t going to do anything. Dudes would still fight 1/2 times every two years, babysit belts, and fight Postmate’s delivery men. Boxing needs a COMPLETE ideology change. It’s the politics and “fight marinating,” shyt that has to go. I’m as frustrated with “marinate” culture as anyone. That’s what I was really talking about a few weeks ago when I said Ennis looks like he could fade almost anyone at 147 right now, but it’s boxing and he’ll be fighting for a title in 3-4 years. All this supposed talent at welter and all these dudes already in their 30’s with damn near no fights amongst each other. Got dudes that are supposed to be P4P with fukking worse resumes than Adrien Broner, legitimately. It’s a joke.

Boxing needs a dude with Loma’s mindset to be the face of boxing, but in a higher weight class. I’m not saying Loma, literally. I’m saying someone with his mindset. Someone that has a take on all comers attitude and down to fight three times a year. Loma turned pro too late, but if he was doing the shyt he’s doing now at 25 the whole dynamic of boxing would be different. A lot of these dudes would be embarrassed to show their face in public. Especially, if it was a guy fighting at 147 or above doing it. It would shift the culture.

Canelo was ALMOST that guy, but he has/had too many weight cheat, political posturing, fight manipulation, tainted beef issues; so, people are able to poke and prod at him; great resume, though.

Boxing needs more idealist, but it’s a sports that’s powered by practicality, so it’ll probably never happen.