Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

BOXINGGEMS

@MansaRhea On Instagram and Twitter
Daps
Reppin
MIA to ATL
Screenshot-20201001-182101.png

Tried to sell them on some 2 for 1 shyt and people still didn't buy, you just absolutely hate to see it.:umad:

Bob Arum: Boxing PPVs Must Be Cheaper Moving Forward
By Manouk Akopyan

Published On Wed May 13, 2020, 04:30 PM EST

As 15% of U.S. citizens suffer unemployment and social distancing becomes the new norm, the UFC tallied nearly 700,000 pay-per-view buys Saturday at $65 a piece generating upward of $45 million in the middle of a pandemic without a true bonafide attraction.

Top Rank boss Bob Arum has a lifetime of experience putting price points on fights on the other side of the ESPN+ platform and business, and he’s advocating boxing to drop its PPV pricing to as low as $40 moving forward as economic and social uncertainty takes over the country.

"We have to be very careful when we start doing events again and watch the prices, especially now with coronavirus because people will not watch fights in big groups in their homes like they did before,” Arum told BoxingScene.com in an interview. “PPV pricing has to be lower. Particularly because more of the buys are going to shift to digital.

“The population in the U.S. is used to watching PPVs in groups and everybody chipping in. It’s not affordable to the normal person to pay $80 to $100 and watch an event. It’s a lot of money.”

bob-arum_31.jpg

Arum staged the last PPV fight in boxing in Tyson Fury’s win over Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas in an unprecedented Fox and ESPN co-promotion priced at $79.99.

Meanwhile, Showtime’s last PPV was between Manny Pacquiao versus Adrien Broner in January 2019 for an asking price of $74.99 (HD viewing), just as Errol Spence’s win over Shawn Porter was on Fox in September.

“PPV is so successful in a [region like the United Kingdom] that is nowhere near the size of the U.S. They do over one million PPV buys. But look at the prices — it’s 20 to 25 pounds (nearly $25 to $31 in American currency). Twenty percent of that goes to the government, but that’s more affordable.”

Arum does not have a true PPV-caliber star outside of Fury. Terrence Crawford performed splendidly against Amir Khan in April 2019 during his PPV debut but tanked in the PPV box office by way of numbers, breaking barely below 100,000 buys in a showing priced at $69.99.

Arum will have to put his money where his mouth is when he stages the lightweight unification fight between Vasyl Lomachenko and Teofimo Lopez.

Both fighters were set to make their PPV debuts in the U.S. before the coronavirus pandemic broke out.

It remains to be seen how Top Rank prices the competitive scrap if it proceeds with a PPV billing.

Manouk Akopyan is a sports journalist and member of the Boxing Writers Assn. of America since 2011. He has written for the likes of the LA Times, Guardian, USA Today, Philadelphia Inquirer, Men’s Health and NFL.com. He can be reached on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube at @ManoukAkopyan or via email at manouk[dot]akopyan[at]gmail.com.

You shytting on the Charlo's for doing damn near the same numbers as a unified champ who supposedly is P4P the best in the world and supposedly has a whole network behind him (ESPN)...all while the media was basically talking ppl out of paying for the PPV...while the NBA Playoffs and the UFC had an event with arguably their best fighter in the main event, but that's a bigger L than Bud's numbers collectively with 2 fights doing roughly the same? Ok bruh lol

Like I said those numbers for the Charlo's are decent given the circumstances and they had one of the highest viewed events on FOX for PBC. That was a solid debut PPV for them and it should grow.

Btw, Bud did 1.6M viewers against Mean Machine...The Charlo's did 2.2M on their FOX debut. Harrison vs Charlo 2 did 2.2M alone ...Cook tho

:russ:

I want to see all these brothers win. Show love bruh, Black fighters get enough hate from the media

Last edited:

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps

yeah i supported and did my part and it was a PPV worthy card too

This was expected. As good and entertaining this card was 10-15 years ago this wouldn't have been a PPV. This reminds me of when HBO Boxing in its dying years put anything on PPV just so they can cover the expenses. Makes sense as Showtime is in similar shoes being a premium cable in the days of inflated purses.
I hope they live through cause Showtime has the best team and best production in boxing, it would be a pity if they'd bow out. ESPN does pretty good in these regards too but Showtime is still number 1 imo.

Davis vs LSC might do better actually yet I think the Charlo card was more worthy for a boxing fan. Davis vs LSC has a weaker undercard, Prograis vs Heraldez is the only interesting fight on the undercard and the main event is also trumped by both of the Charlo main events.

BOXINGGEMS

@MansaRhea On Instagram and Twitter
Daps
Reppin
MIA to ATL
This was expected. As good and entertaining this card was 10-15 years ago this wouldn't have been a PPV. This reminds me of when HBO Boxing in its dying years put anything on PPV just so they can cover the expenses. Makes sense as Showtime is in similar shoes being a premium cable in the days of inflated purses.
I hope they live through cause Showtime has the best team and best production in boxing, it would be a pity if they'd bow out. ESPN does pretty good in these regards too but Showtime is still number 1 imo.

Davis vs LSC might do better actually yet I think the Charlo card was more worthy for a boxing fan. Davis vs LSC has a weaker undercard, Prograis vs Heraldez is the only interesting fight on the undercard and the main event is also trumped by both of the Charlo main events.

Yea Tank bout to do some numbers...I expect it to do about 300k-350k

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
I want to see all these brothers win. Yall need to stop the hating for no reason

It's not hard to see why premature PPVs are hindering fighters' in the long term. And it's not just one promoter but all.

Are the Charlos PPV fighters realistically? No
IsTank Davis a PPV fighter? No
Was Crawford one? No
Was GGG when he fought Jacobs? No
Was Ward vs Kovalev? No

It's just the purses are inflated and fighters won't take less money so any bigger fight has to be on PPV with the occasional exceptions like Loma vs Lopez next month.
Fighters and promoters are both to blame.
Everybody is happy to take short money instead of building profile so they can turn into LEGIT PPV draws down the line.
Forcing premature PPVs cause they need the big short money and because it's some cool status symbol to them achieves nothing but puts a cap on the awareness of these fighters. If the fights that can gain plus fans are behind a 75-100 dollars paywall you pretty much won't increase your fighter's image but sell those PPVs to the same crowd who are interested anyway.

So maybe all these guys are losing out on something bigger with this instead of "winning"

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
You shytting on the Charlo's for doing damn near the same numbers as a unified champ who supposedly is P4P the best in the world and supposedly has a whole network behind him (ESPN)...all while the media was basically talking ppl out of paying for the PPV...while the NBA Playoffs and the UFC had an event with arguably their best fighter in the main event, but that's a bigger L than Bud's numbers collectively with 2 fights doing roughly the same? Ok bruh lol

Like I said those numbers for the Charlo's are decent given the circumstances and they had one of the highest viewed events on FOX for PBC. That was a solid debut PPV for them and it should grow.

Btw, Bud did 1.6M viewers against Mean Machine...The Charlo's did 2.2M on their FOX debut. Harrison vs Charlo 2 did 2.2M alone ...Cook tho

I want to see all these brothers win. Show love bruh, Black fighters get enough hate from the media

Technically that 1.6m actually tuned in to watch Teofimo Lopez KO Commey. Crawford's fight peaked at 1.3m... he got out performed by the undercard.

I was honestly gonna be shocked if the Charlo's PPV broke 200k, they are getting a lot of attention now though.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international

mark-henry-finger.gif

What we not gonna do is act like the Charlo's are some damn underdogs here.

They get the benefit of fighting on two different networks, getting promotion from Fox (which boosts their viewership being on basic cable) and Showtime, plus they also got the unique benefit of double headlining on the same card, multiple times now.

Mel unifying 3 titles plus Mal defending his WBC title did about the same as Crawford Khan, and Golovkin Lemieux.

In any case, if other fighters get shytted on for roughly the same number, then the Charlo's should too, especially since we're comparing what the Charlo's draw together vs. what these other fighters draw on their own. Everyone would've been ecstatic for 200k+, and upset if they did 150k or lower. It's not a good number, and it continues the trend of boxing's woefully low viewership in 2020.

And yeah, this is cause everyone's quick to shyt on the P4P gawd T Craw, but his upcoming classic versus Zeke is going platinum y'all just watch.:to:

But now if I'm being real, it looks like the card probably didn't cost that much money, which means Showtime gets to foot a smaller bill, and a larger chunk was shouldered by the viewers. Doing 120k isn't solid, but their performances certainly were, and hopefully they can one day do better numbers.:yeshrug:

Last edited: