Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
BOXING GEMS' TOP 10 UNDER 25

RYAN GARCIA

(20-0, 17 KOs)
Lightweight - 135

Ryan-Garcia.jpg

Ryan Garcia, 22, is known for his Instagram following and fast hands. Beyond that, there are still many questions on just how good he is. Garcia has the upside and look ( ) that Golden Boy's top brass is betting the house on. Recent first-round knockout victories against Romero Duno and Francisco Fonseca has his profile trending up. But just how good is he? I see the hand speed is exceptional, no doubt about it. The power seems legit, although it should be said that Duno was untested and unknown before the fight. And Fonseca's claim to fame was getting KO'd by Tank Davis on the Mayweather-McGregor undercard. 'Kingry' has much more to prove to this point, but the excitement for his potential has everybody tuned in. Will he become the next Oscar De La Hoya, Canelo Alvarez? Or is he the second coming of Amir Khan?

ANALYSIS: Garcia's hand speed is his biggest strength to this point. Power seems to be there on his left hook. He has a good lead left hook that seems to be his go-to punch. He looks a lot taller, with a longer reach than most of the guys at 135. That size advantage will help hide his deficiencies defensively. If he can develop better punch selection with a high-low attack, he will be a problem for anyone 140 and below.

I haven't seen a body attack worth mentioning or a consistent jab. That will work on lesser opponents for now, but as he steps up in competition, he has to set up his punches and not just throw flurries of punches thinking that will beat fighters who equal or surpass his skill. Defensively he hasn't been tested much recently due to his last three fights ending within two rounds. He stands straight up most of the time, doesn't have the quickest feet, and his chin is a question mark. I haven't seen ANY head movement from him. If he's not in a high guard, he's stepping straight back with his hands down.

With that said, you would probably ask, "if there are all these questions about him, then why even include him on the list?" Simple. Star-power and matchmaking. GBP has been pretty good with matchmaking for the fighters they want to push, and they will not put him in harm's way until the money is too big to turn down. That will likely lead to Garcia becoming, at worst, an Adrien Broner circa today. The switch to Eddy Reynoso may pay off if he can instill Canelo's defense in Ryan. If not, he will get dog walked by the Haney's, Shakur's and Teofimo's of the world.

BEST WIN/PERFORMANCE: vs. Francisco Fonseca; to date, this is easily Garcia's biggest W on his resume. It only lasted a round via a devastating left hook; however, he showed some level of composure in a step-up fight by coming out strong early and dictating the pace. Short night, not much to break down other than that. Not a shocking result though, I expected this one to go at least four rounds.

UPCOMING FIGHT: vs. Luke Campbell; this is a true test of Ryan's ability. This could end up putting him firmly into the top 5 at 135, or it could set him back 2-3 years. A victory against a former champion and Olympian like Campbell will firmly cement Garcia into the top 5 at 135 without question. However, a loss will absolute kill the momentum Golden Boy has built, and he will have to rebuild slowly. The good thing is he has time either way, so it won't kill his prospects. But he will be more Amir Khan at that point than the next Canelo. This is damn near a must-win for Garcia to match the hype.

FUTURE MEGA FIGHT: The setup is already happening...the fight will bubble for a while. I can see a Gervonta Davis vs. Ryan Garcia PPV event in 2022 if everything goes well. Garcia has to avoid the top-level talent until then and hope that Tank gets a belt at 135. The seeds have been planted, and the popularity of both fighters will make for a huge payday for both. I see Tank winning by vicious KO and elevating to another level of stardom, while Garcia will hang around for a while and be a PPV fighter himself with mixed results. Much like Oscar De La Hoya. Time will tell.

Like these write ups keep it coming

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I’d never go to San Antonio but I know there’s probably going to be a big contingent of Mexican fight fans they go
id go to san antonio but not for that fight.unless it was free :manny:

if this was a normal year id go to jerry world to shyt on the cowboys...but this is not a normal year and my eagles are not performing at their normal level of brilliance :francis:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Jarrett Hurd looking like the next Guillermo jones.

You know how when nyggas put on weight, they’re out there looking fat?

This nygga looks like a natural cruiser weight. The nygga is still extremely lean. It’s time to move up.