Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
I remember hearing this story about Tyson meeting James Toney. I would've like to see that fight as well. I remember regrading the Holyfield fight before it happen James went on a sport show with Arsenio Hall saying he wasn't going to get a win he cameback later and made Arsenio Hall apologize.

:ohhh:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
definitely, that was before pbc sort of betrayed that showtime dude Espinoza

they started stretching their roster on cbs, espn, fox and i think also bounce

yup..thats the pre pbc period in 2014 was an eyesore to watch.. ...thats where i started looking a lot more closely..because i was appalled at the drop of quality on showtime..and then when pbc launched iin 2015 i was one of the few that wasnt bowled over because i wanted to see if there was an improvement...so putting them on all those channels didnt move me like that..mostly because the fight quality was so uneven.....it took some years and covid having to kick them in the ass but finally they may legitimately rule a year with the slate they announced provided no catches covid lol

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Stephen Espinoza: Market Will Respond To Showtime PPVs
By Manouk Akopyan

Published On Tue Jul 28, 2020, 09:24 AM EST

Showtime announced its return to boxing with a strong nine-card slate last week that will be spread out through the rest of the year.

Two of the events will be available exclusively on Showtime pay per view.

The first is the day-night, PPV twin billing between Jermall Charlo and Sergiy Derevyanchenko as well as twin brother Jermell Charlo versus Jeison Rosario. It will take place Sept. 26 and feature a total of six fights throughout the day for one price and purchase. The other PPV will pit Gervonta Davis against Leo Santa Cruz on Oct. 24.

espinoza_1.jpg

All of the fighters will be making their PPV debut as headliners and be tasked with promoting and selling the fight to interested observers.

Stephen Espinoza, president of sports and event programming for Showtime, told BoxingScene.com that he feels comfortable tapping PPV newbies to main event status, just as they reinsert themselves back into the boxing picture in the middle of a global pandemic.

“It would be silly not to take into account the economic situation across the country. There are certain realities of that. There are a lot of people who have been squeezed financially,” said Espinoza. “That was one of the main reasons why we structured [the pay per views] the way that we did. We tried to provide a value proposition, but even more value than we have seen in any recent pay per view. In reality, pay per view is a tool to help make fights happen that they otherwise would not have happened. We understand that there are economic and financial pressures here. We think the market will respond. When you have this kind of quality on one card, it is a special, one-of-a-kind event. We think the audience will show up for it.”

Espinoza said the PPV pricing for both programs will be in line with what previous Showtime PPV’s have been over the last couple of years. An official announcement regarding the exact figure is still forthcoming.

The last time Showtime staged a pay per view, it was January 19, 2019 when Manny Pacquiao unanimously decisioned Adrien Broner at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The asking price for that event was $74.99 (HD viewing).

“If you look at the quality and caliber of the matchups, these are fights that would really have to go to pay per view in order to finance,” said Espinoza of his upcoming cards. “If we rely on it sparingly for the true, top-tier events, I think we can do some good business and a great event.”

Espinoza explained that he explored the possibility of staging the same-day Charlo show over the course of two nights, similar to what WWE has done in the past, most recently as this year’s Wrestlemania.

“It turned out to be too difficult and ultimately not feasible to implement technologically with the distributors, so we turned it into a [same-day] doubleheader,” said Espinoza.

Showtime’s slate of shows is set to take place at the Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Connecticut, but Espinoza is not ruling out other locations if the threat of Covid-19 clears away.

Prior to the pandemic, the Davis-Santa Cruz fight was tabled to take place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles in June.

“We are definitely going to keep our eye on the market and public health situation. Every fighter on these cards has realized we have to adjust,” said Espinoza. “We can’t just put everything on pause because of the situation we’re dealing with. We have figured out a way to pull these events off with minimum risk. If it proves that we can do that in other states in front of limited crowds, or ultimately full crowds, we’ll make that move when we can.”

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Karl Dugan a perk head from philly who wasted his potential. Why is GRJ even speaking on this?
Lowkey this is out of GRJ character, he usually moves like a stand up guy. Him resorting to clout chasing cause his career stale as fukk is a bad look
Dude so desperate for a match he trying get a Bud fight at 147 :mjtf:

The clout chaser upset someone else is clout chasing off of him. :mjtf:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Claressa Shields: For Women, More Exposure in UFC Than In Boxing
By Sean Nam

Published On Tue Jul 28, 2020, 11:49 AM EST

Claressa Shield can’t help but think that the grass is greener on the other side.

The two-time Olympic gold medalist and three-division titlist is one of boxing’s standout talents and the current poster child for woman’s boxing in particular.

But Shields (10-0, 2 KOs) knows she would be fooling herself if she didn’t think that the gap between female boxers and their male counterparts still remains dauntingly wide…everything from pay to the marketing budget. She has noticed, though, that this discrepancy doesn’t really exist over in the mixed-martial-arts universe of the UFC – or at least it’s not as wide as it is in boxing.

“In MMA there’s just more exposure than woman’s boxing,” Shields told Brian Custer on The Last Stand Podcast. “I hate to say it…from me just looking at social media, from me just seeing that they’re the main event on every other card and people are coming and filling up arenas for them. We don’t have that in woman’s boxing. I haven’t even been on pay-per-view yet and I’m a three-time division world champion. But Gervonta ‘Tank’ (Davis) [is about to be] on pay-per-view. It’s like, it’s just not equal.”

claressa-shields%20(3)_17.jpg

Davis is projected to fight Leo Santa Cruz on October 24 at the Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, CT on Showtime Pay-Per-View.

“Over in the MMA I love how it’s equal,” Shields, 25, said. “You have some fights where the men are the main event. And you have the same amount when the women are. Women are on pay-per-view and in boxing it’s just not the same way.”

The Detroit native, of course, is referring to the likes of Amanda Nunes, Cris Cyborg, Holly Holm, Rose Namajunas, and Joanna Jedrzejczyk, to name a few, all of whom have headlined in big bouts in the UFC.

Shields, who is promoted by Dmitry Salita, understands that you can’t just transpose the UFC’s success into boxing overnight, which is why she has told the powers that be that she is willing to fight on the undercard of a big boxing pay-per-view show – provided that the main event features a world champion.

“I’ve already let my team and Showtime know that I would fight on the undercard of Errol Spence, Deontay Wilder or Manny Pacquiao, any of those big fighters, the Twin Charlos (Jermell and Jermall). I would fight on the undercard of those guys, but I’m not going to fight on the undercard of nobody who’s not a world champion, especially on pay-per-view.”

Still, Shields believes she has made progress for women’s boxing. She recalled the time when it took longer for a fight poster to be made for one of her fights than it was for, say, a fight between two male fighters.

“I noticed that when I fought against Hannah Gabriel, I noticed that we didn’t get a poster for until we were like 5 weeks out from the fight, which, that’s a decent amount of time, but when you pay attention and see that they’re talking about another fight that’s two months or two months and-a-half out, that’s 8 to 10 weeks compared to 5,” Shields said. “But they wanted to get as many viewers for the guys they promoted (through) promos and commercials…(we) get the same amount of exposure but with less time of promotion. So I spoke on that and I don’t think it was done on purpose, but I feel like they didn't have any other women fighters (before) speak on that.”

“But I’ve been trying to figure out ways to get more exposure through boxing and to welcome everybody to see that the game of women’s boxing has changed,” Shields continued. “We have some great fighters now. They were good back them, no disrespect, but we’ve got women who actually make boxing their career. I’ve been boxing since I was 11 years old, I’m 25, (that’s) 14 years!”

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Boxing and MMA have a completely different structure. I hate when fighters bring it up.

Yup not to mention a lot of people think the UFC is synonymous with MMA and it's not because there are other MMA promotions besides UFC, UFC doesn't do ANY CROSS PROMOTIONS ever. They will flat out buy their competitor before they send anyone else to fight somewhere else.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
there's 100 of them nikkas fam :mjlol:
word..i hung out with them before...they are all good people

the russell's got talent...gary antuanne and gary antonio...they are beasts..im actually surprised gary antuanne isnt being pushed more by pbc at 140