Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
i have to be honest i never liked kovalev's 1-2-1. one of the characteristics of american boxing, if you can say there is such thing, and i think you probably can, is the 1-2-3. whats the difference? a 1-2-1 everything is coming up the middle. a 1-2-3 the punches come up the middle, they come around the side, up, down, you get a lot more options. you can hit a guy everywhere.

VtUHS6H.gif

i mean it lets you connect everywhere. thats the first combination you learn in an american boxing gym. get real good at throwing it, and you can take a guy apart like a wristwatch. gerald mcclellan got all his body shot knockouts with that clean up hook coming off a 1-2-3. the kovalev 1-2-1, to me, is gimmicky. roy jones says, might have been in one of the fights he had with andre ward, that he just wished kovalev would come back with the hook sometimes. i thought that was a pretty american thing for him to say.
I think they are good to different things, if you do a 1-2-1 or 2-1-2 like the likes of Kovalev or Pac do it's good to track down opponents who backs out in a straight line, a 1-2-3 is good when they don't move out of range cause then you can easily overreach and fall short with the 3 leaving yourself open. Probably the opponent won't be in a position to fire back either when backing down but a 1-2-1 or 2-1-2 can track him down.
I'm by no means any close to a pro boxer but I always felt it's hard to accuratley do the 1-2-3 on alive target as the range of the 2 is long while the 3 is mid-close, pretty hard to find the good range even wit the left hand being naturally closer to the opponent than the right if you are orthodox. So I think both are good, tried and tested just for different situations.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
17 years too late Roy :unimpressed:

Roy Jones Says He's Willing To Fight Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield
By BoxingScene Staff

Published On Wed May 27, 2020, 04:42 AM EDT

Former four division world champion Roy Jones Jr. is open to the idea of returning to the ring to fight Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield.

Jones, 51-years-old, last fought two years ago when he won a ten round unanimous decision over Scott Sigmon.

During his prime, Jones was regarded as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the sport. He fought well beyond his best years.

Jones began to fall apart in 2003, after bulking up to nearly 200-pounds to capture the WBA heavyweight title from John Ruiz. After Jones cut muscle mass to drop down by two weight classes to win a tough decision over Antonio Tarver, he was never the same fighter.

roy-jones_7.jpg

In the last few weeks, Tyson and Holyfield have expressed their interest in returning to the ring.

Both of the former heavyweight champions are interested in having exhibition fights to raise money for charity.

These days, Jones is very much involved in training younger fighters.

But, he might easily be tempted to get back in the ring to face a 53-year-old Tyson or a 57-year-old Holyfield in an exhibition.

While not providing specifics, Jones may have been approached to do just that.

"Let me tell you one thing, just so you all know. I don’t really mess with people too much, I don’t like to bother nobody. I’m getting older, I love trying to pass what I know down to these guys so they can take what I did, what I knew, and try to add and build on to it. Chris Eubank, Shady [Gamhour], whole class of them, trying just to pass to them what I know and let them add what I know to what they do," Jones explained to one of his fighters, Kevin Newman II, during an Instagram interview.

"But, if people bothering me – and I’ve had a few people bothering me lately. I ain’t gonna say a lot of names, but some pretty strong, big guys trying to bully me around. I don’t like being bullied. I will fight you. I know I’m 51 but I will fight somebody over 50. And I ain’t scared to fight nobody, nowhere, at no time. Headgear, no headgear, I don’t care. So just be aware, and be careful what you say."

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
dunno why it's gotta be a Tuesday and a Thursday, how am I suppose to stay up when I work next days? Seem like it's still time until I'm gonna see a live card
lol...well im sure those TR cards arent going to be anything too crazy based off rumors so far

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
About buffets talking bout rapping N robbing... Figgy prolly weighs 230... Benavidez snorting mounds of coke tweaking seeing Plant in erry dark corner... Tank getting bad lineups... Ugas talking bout blue lives matter...wilder still coming up with more excuse on why he got his ass beat

Do something Al :damn:

Make some fights :francis: