Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Who was old in the Spence Porter fight? Porter aint that much older than Spence bro. Donaire is from an entirely different generation from Inoue.
porter is boxing old...he has a lot of mileage on him....it didnt help he didnt look that good against ugas in his previous fight before it

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
OfficialPleasantArmyant-size_restricted.gif

I'm excited to see what's in store for Ortiz Jr. He just needs to work on his accuracy, he misses a lot of punches he shouldn't. He young though so he got time to work on it.

I look forward to Ortiz Jr vs Ennis one day.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
porter is boxing old...he has a lot of mileage on him....it didnt help he didnt look that good against ugas in his previous fight before it

I just rewatched Porter-Ugas recently, scored it 7-5 Porter. Ugas was having success cause Porter wasn't closing the distance with his feet properly. He kept setting himself to far away from Ugas, once he adjusted and got closer it was over.

Ugas has skills, but he lacks any type of punching power. He is mentioned as a top welterweight and he is, but I don't think he'll ever be more than a tough fight for a champion.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I just rewatched Porter-Ugas recently, scored it 7-5 Porter. Ugas was having success cause Porter wasn't closing the distance with his feet properly. He kept setting himself to far away from Ugas, once he adjusted and got closer it was over.

Ugas has skills, but he lacks any type of punching power. He is mentioned as a top welterweight and he is, but I don't think he'll ever be more than a tough fight for a champion.

im not high on ugas like that...somebody like porter shouldn't be having trouble with ugas like that...i saw ugas going life and death with dulorme...i dont see top welterweight in him just yet

but seeing that and then seeing porter light up spence a little too often where i was expecting spence to put him away was surprising to me

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
im not high on ugas like that...somebody like porter shouldn't be having trouble with ugas like that...i saw ugas going life and death with dulorme...i dont see top welterweight in him just yet

but seeing that and then seeing porter light up spence a little too often where i was expecting spence to put him away was surprising to me

Porter worked the issues out in training camp, and Porter missed A LOT of punches in the fight with Spence. Spence seemed like he got touched up too much because that was his first time facing a high level volume puncher bro. Porter also threw more punches against Spence than anyone else too, it seemed worse than it was.

I feel the same way about Inoue-Donaire, I thought Inoue would handle Donaire easily, yet Donaire touched Inoue up a lot. Inoue's first 12 round fight against a high level opponent and he won I won't argue the decision, yet he took way too much punishment against that old man. I expect Inoue to clean out 118(Casimero will give him a tougher fight than people think I believe), but when he inevitably moves up if he don't work on his defense Navarette will ruin Monster bro, straight ruin him.

Last edited:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Porter worked the issues out in training camp, and Porter missed A LOT of punches in the fight with Spence. Spence seemed like he got touched up too much because that was his first time facing a high level volume puncher bro. Porter also threw more punches against Spence than anyone else too, it seemed worse than it was.

I feel the same way about Inoue-Donaire, I thought Inoue would handle Donaire easily, yet Donaire touched Inoue up a lot. Inoue's first 12 round fight against a high level opponent and he won I won't argue the decision, yet he took way too much punishment against that old man. I expect Inoue to clean out 118, but when he inevitably moves up if he don't work on his defense Navarette will ruin Monster bro, straight ruin him.

and thats the thing...i dont think much of porter as a puncher so seeing that makes me think man spence needs to tighten up

however donaire is a puncher..and monster always fights super aggressive...and the fact monster took all that with punishment without going down and the injuries he suffered was amazing...but yeah i agree with you...he can't continue to fight like that without consequence if he keeps moving up

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
and thats the thing...i dont think much of porter as a puncher so seeing that makes me think man spence needs to tighten up

however donaire is a puncher..and monster always fights super aggressive...and the fact monster took all that with punishment without going down and the injuries he suffered was amazing...but yeah i agree with you...he can't continue to fight like that without consequence if he keeps moving up

Did he hurt him though? Porter never got close to hurting Spence. Soence fought that man like someone who had no respect for his punching power. Spence showed Mikey of all people more respect than Porter.

It goes beyond Donaire being a puncher. Inoue was turning his head coming out of exchanges getting hit, closing his eyes getting punched, I didn't like some things I saw. That was Inoue's first legit fight bro, that was Spence's second(third if you even want to count Mikey). Spence looked better in his fights so far than Inoue has, imo.

Also as little as we all think of Porter as a puncher, him and Donaire have virtually the same KO ratio bro. :manny:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Did he hurt him though? Porter never got close to hurting Spence. Soence fought that man like someone who had no respect for his punching power. Spence showed Mikey of all people more respect than Porter.

It goes beyond Donaire being a puncher. Inoue was turning his head coming out of exchanges getting hit, closing his eyes getting punched, I didn't like some things I saw. That was Inoue's first legit fight bro, that was Spence's second(third if you even want to count Mikey). Spence looked better in his fights so far than Inoue has, imo.

Also as little as we all think of Porter as a puncher, him and Donaire have virtually the same KO ratio bro. :manny:

of course porter hurt spence..he hurt him more than i expected :heh:..i said at the end of the fight spence gave me hurd vibes and he def wasnt heads and shoulders above at welter

i also wouldn't call that monster's first legit fight...motherfukker went up 3 divisions and 7 champions he's beaten...donaire is his most known opponent but thats it

and are we going to use ko ratio to determine who is an actual puncher between porter and donaire? :heh: i dont think so

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
of course porter hurt spence..he hurt him more than i expected :heh:..i said at the end of the fight spence gave me hurd vibes and he def wasnt heads and shoulders above at welter

i also wouldn't call that monster's first legit fight...motherfukker went up 3 divisions and 7 champions he's beaten...donaire is his most known opponent but thats it

and are we going to use ko ratio to determine who is an actual puncher between porter and donaire? :heh: i dont think so

When did Porter hurt Spence? :dwillhuh:

Comparing Spence to Hurd? :hhh:

Man like I said that weight jumping shyt overrated bro. It's a way to build up hype behind fighters while keeping certain fighters from fighting other ones. Inoue beat some ok fighters coming up, he aint fought nobody who was truly legit until Donaire, same can be said for Spence he has two legit fights Porter and Brook, at least they in the same division. I say this saying I'm a fan of Inoue I want to see where his career is gonna go, but I also gotta pump the brakes on him. Struggling against old men like Joshua, Inoue, and Thurman did was eye opening to me.

Spence had a tough fight with even if it's on the back end of his prime Porter. Inoue got his eye socket broken and took a ton of punishment against a guy he should of retired.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

why wouldn’t Porter have issues with Ugas? This dude tends to fight down. I remember dude was having problems with Erick Bone, and then wins nearly every round against Broner in the next fight.

He rises to the occasion in his big fights whether he wins or not. If he’s not facing a name, it’s damn near a trap fight.

Porter struggling against a lesser fighter isn’t an indicator of how a fight will go with a bigger name.

He struggled with Grenados, but clearly beat Danny, a superior fighter, in the next fight.

Last edited:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
why wouldn’t Porter have issues with Ugas? This dude tends to fight down. I remember dude was having problems with Erick Bone, and then wins nearly every round against Broner in the next fight.

He rises to the occasion in his big fights whether he wins or not. If he’s not facing a name, it’s damn near a trap fight.

Porter struggling against a lesser fighter isn’t an indicator of how a fight will go with a bigger name.

He struggled with Grenados, but clearly beat Danny, a superior fighter, in the next fight.
No but between the up and down performances, struggle to make weight, and the hard fights from porter.. I thought I would see a little bit more dominance from spence... esp with the hype he was getting..I didn't see it..I scored that fight for Spence only by 1..114-113..porter lit him up a little too much...they are all on the same level except for Pac

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Can you elaborate on this? Obviously size plays a part in literally every boxing match, that's why there are weight divisions and height and reach are displayed
There was a clear size difference between Rigo and Loma but I think skill trumped that, especially since Loma didn't rely on his size to win
for reference Donaire is taller and longer reach than Loma and got dominated by Rigo. Rigo potshot counter punch style just wasn't enough for a good boxer like Loma who used angles constantly and flustered Rigo causing him to quit

I mean that you don't have to be visibly beaten up or overpowered by a bigger guy to say size played a part cause when you fighting someone bigger you usually don't fight the same way, especially going up 2 divisions from a division where you are small anyway, you punches won't have nearly the same effect on the other and his gonna have much more effect on you, the simple knowledge of that usually makes fighters fighting different than if they would be in their normal division.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No but between the up and down performances, struggle to make weight, and the hard fights from porter.. I thought I would see a little bit more dominance from spence... esp with the hype he was getting..I didn't see it..I scored that fight for Spence only by 1..114-113..porter lit him up a little too much...they are all on the same level except for Pac

yeah I don’t have those same expectations for Spence