Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Tabiti Believes He Can Beat Andy Ruiz When He Moves To Heavyweight

Tabiti Believes He Can Beat Andy Ruiz When He Moves To Heavyweight
By Ryan Burton

Published On Sat May 9, 2020, 06:38 AM EDT

Andrew Tabiti (17-1) appeared on Mayweather Promotions' Instagram Live stream last week for a fan question and answer session. Mayweather Promotions' CEO Leonard Ellerbe served as the moderator.

One of the questions asked of Tabiti was his thoughts on former undisputed cruiserweight champion Oleksander Usyk's chances for success in the cruiserweight division.

"Usyk is a (Olympic) gold medalist. He is a real good fighter. My thoughts on him being a heavyweight? I think it is going to be tough for him fighting those big guys like Joshua and Wilder. It could be tough but then again he is a good boxer. He has good craft, southpaw, so he can do some things in the division, 100%. That is definitely a fight I want to get when I become a heavyweight," Tabiti explained.

andrew-tabiti%20(2)_3.jpg

Tabiti has been out of the ring since his June, 2019 loss to Yuniel Dorticos in the semi-finals of the World Boxing Super Series tournament.

The covid-19 coronavirus pandemic has paused all boxing for the time being which has pushed back Tabiti's ring return but he hopes to have a busy second half of the year.

Without being asked, the 30-year-old also laid out his hit list for when he moves up in weight.

"I would like to fight Usyk, Andy Ruiz, we could fight Michael Hunter, Gerald Washington, Charles Martin, everybody. Just line them up," Tabiti explained.

When asked by Ellerbe to reveal his long-term and short-term plans, Tabiti made it clear that he first wants to take care of unfinished business in the cruiserweight division.

"Short term I want to get a couple belts at cruiserweight so hopefully this is my last year. Then try to get a rematch with Dorticos and get that belt then fight for the WBC belt then go straight to heavyweight in a year and a half. We could fight Charles Martin right away, a Gerald Washington right away. I think I have the skills to fight Andy Ruiz. I think I can beat him," said Tabiti.

Dude hasn't even got a really good win at cruiserweight, got slumped by Dorticos in his only step up so far, what is he talking about?

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Showtime Boxing, Bellator MMA To Be Held In Studio City, CA Sound Stage
By Manouk Akopyan

Published On Sat May 9, 2020, 04:06 PM EDT

If parent company ViacomCBS has its way, Showtime Boxing and Bellator MMA could soon be coming to an audience-free sound stage in Studio City, California.

Bob Bakish, president and CEO of ViacomCBS, said in the corporation's latest earnings call on May 7 that combat sports’ return at a larger scale is around the corner.

“We, by the way, also look forward to bringing live sports back, and we're going to be one of the first with golf, the nature of golf probably makes that a little bit simpler than some of the other sports,” said Bakish.

“By the way, we set up a sound stage in Radford [in Studio City, California], the CBS lot to film both boxing and Bellator events, which we're going to use that sound stage to sequentially alternately produce those, albeit with no audience for the moment. So we're going to do some sports stuff around the edges. But yes, look, I like our position.”

showtime_2.jpg

Like every other company in combat sports, Showtime and Bellator have both been snake bitten by the coronavirus pandemic and have cancelled a slew of shows since March.

Showtime staged the last big boxing card in the United States in March with a show headlined by a Brandun Lee TKO win over Camilo Prieto in a crowdless arena in Minnesota.

Stephen Espinoza, president of sports and event programming for Showtime, told BoxingScene.com in an interview earlier this week that the premium cable network is looking to stage high-level fights after the pandemic is over.

“We need to take our time and come back with the right fights at the right time to try and reduce the [coronavirus health] risk as much as possible while doing premium-level fights that are worthy of the audience,” said Espinoza.

“I don’t think we are going to be one of the first ones to come back. We are not going to come back for the sake of coming back and doing something. We are a premium network and we do premium-level fights … and that’s going to remind people why they love boxing even before all of this took place.”

“There is a feeling that the audience is desperate for sports, which is probably true, but we’re not going to take advantage of that and throw a bunch of stuff out there to say, ‘we’re back.’”
interesting

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Barrios: I'm More Than Willing To Give Akhmedov A Rematch
By Jake Donovan

Published On Sat May 9, 2020, 10:37 AM EDT

Mario Barrios knew as the night wore on that he was only making things harder for himself in an all-out war of a title fight versus Batyr Akhmedov.

It made for a memorable way to capture his first belt, even if it was a night most of his team would never again like to remember.

“That last fight, that was something,” Barrios (25-0. 16KOs) fondly recalled of last September’s 140-pound secondary title winning effort while hosting a live chat on the Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) Facebook page. “That was a fight a lot of my family and my team didn’t like. I’m a warrior, I’ve said It before. Going into that fight, I dominated the early rounds with the knockdown.

“Akhmedov came up very strong. Heading into the last round I had it a draw. I knew and everyone in my corner knew we had to make something big happen. Fortunately, I was able to land that big right hand. I’ll say it myself, that last knockdown solidified it for me.”

barrios-akhmedov-fight-hafey%20(20).jpg

Barrios claimed a disputed 12-round unanimous decision that night at Staples Center in Los Angeles. The unbeaten San Antonio native—who turns 25 later this month—also left with a cut over his left eye which required stitches and facial swelling around his left cheek which required plenty of rest and relaxation in order to fully heal.

The battles scars with which he left the ring were worn as badges of honor.

“The fight with Akhmedov… it was just as hard as we expected,” admits Barrios. “Going into that fight, people asked if I was expecting a knockout. I told them no. There was a reason Akhmedov got the opportunity at such an early point in his career. It’s because of what he has accomplished (as a pro) and in the amateurs. He has a great pedigree and had a great game plan going into that fight.

“Hats off to Akhmedov, he has my respect for putting in that type of fight with me. Just being able to share the ring for 12 rounds with him, it was a great fight. I loved it. My team, my girlfriend, my sisters, they hated it. Even to this day, if it’s on they don’t want to watch it.”

A rematch was demanded by Akhmedov (7-1, 6KOs) and his team, and ordered by the World Boxing Association (WBA) whose secondary title was at stake for the contest. However, such talks never seemed to go very far. Barrios was being groomed for a hometown showcase versus fellow Texas native Ryan “Cowboy” Karl on May 9, only for the event—which never had a chance to be formally announced—to be canceled in the wake of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Should a second fight ever see the light of day, Barrios vows to work smarter rather than harder moving forward.

“I’m more than willing to give [Akhmedov] a rematch,” Barrios insists. “It was a war. A rematch is something that he deserves also, to try to prove... to try to take the title.

“If a second fight does happen, I’ll be more than ready. We’re going to correct all the mistakes that I was making and we’re going to dominate the second fight.”

they def need to run this back...shyt was a real dope fight for real