Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Vergil Ortiz Doesn't Think He Can Beat Spence Now, 'But Maybe In A Year'
By Keith Idec

Published On Wed Apr 22, 2020, 09:36 AM EDT

Vergil Ortiz Jr. is a confident, talented contender who has knocked out each of his 15 pro opponents.

Even Ortiz recognizes, though, that he’s not quite ready to beat Errol Spence Jr. just yet. The 22-year-old Ortiz honestly acknowledged during a recent interview on SiriusXM’s “Ak And Barak Show” that he feels he is about a year away from being able to knock off the unbeaten IBF/WBC welterweight champion.

“As of right now, you know what? I would give anyone in the 147 division a hard fight,” Ortiz said. “I don’t care who it is. As far as me thinking that I can beat him right now, I don’t think so. But maybe in a year. I’m not gonna rush myself, like these other fighters. I’m not gonna call someone out that, you know, just for clout or anything like that. You know, I genuinely think that I can beat some of these guys.”

errol-spence%20(76)_1.jpg

Ortiz has admired Spence since they trained at the same gym in Dallas, but he eventually would love the opportunity to beat the 2012 U.S. Olympian. The Grand Prairie, Texas, native considers Spence (26-0, 21 KOs) and WBO champion Terence Crawford (36-0, 27 KOs) the top two welterweights within their loaded division.

“It’s definitely between him and Crawford,” said Ortiz, who’s ranked seventh by the WBC. “You know, Crawford definitely is more technically sound. But, you know, I wouldn’t think he’s as strong as Spence or anything like that. [He] doesn’t have the same size, so I would say that they’re both the toughest, but in their own element.”

Now that Spence has recovered from injuries sustained in a car accident October 10 in Dallas, he hopes to land higher-profile fights against such established welterweights as Crawford, Manny Pacquiao and Danny Garcia. But Spence has paid close attention to Ortiz’s rise through the 147-pound division.

“Just to see him get to that point, you know, it’s great seeing because I remember him as a little kid, a little crybaby kid,” Spence told Premier Boxing Champions’ Ray Flores recently as part of an Instagram Live interview. “He used to cry a lot. But now, to see him get to this point and looking to challenge me in about two, three years, it’s good that he know that two, three years, he might be ready, you know.

“But I don’t see him, you know, beating me. But much respect to him doing his thing and getting to this level. I think he’s 15-0, 15 knockouts, 16-0, 16 knockouts. So, much respect to him doing his thing and making Dallas look good and, you know, putting on for the city.”

Ortiz was confused by Spence’s statement about him being “a little crybaby kid.”

“I’m not sure what he meant,” Ortiz said. “I’ve definitely never been hurt as a kid. You know, I was pretty much the best one in the gym. He might just be like – I don’t know. The only thing that I can come up with is he’s just like basically trying to explain how little I was when he met me. But other than that, I really don’t understand.”

Ortiz respects Spence, but if typical boxing business issues allow them to square off one day, the hard-hitting Ortiz is all for it.

“I think if the fight’s to be made it’s because it was meant to be made,” Ortiz said. “You know, we used to train at the same gym. I used to watch him train. I seen him get ready to go to the Olympics and fight in these tournaments to qualify. And I hope he thinks that I’m good enough or whatever.”

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
WBC Reaches Resolution, Reinstates Devin Haney As Champion
By Jake Donovan

Published On Wed Apr 22, 2020, 04:21 PM EDT

A rough week for Devin Haney just became much brighter

The 21-year old lightweight was successful in his filed appeal to have his World Boxing Council (WBC) title reign restored. The news was confirmed by the sanctioning body, whose Board of Governors voted in favor to reinstate Haney as its champion.

devin-haney_6.jpg

“The WBC Rules & Regulations give the WBC the absolute discretion to designate Champions and Mandatory Contenders and also to withdraw any such designation,” noted the WBC statement on Wednesday announcing the ruling. “Specifically Rule 3.16, provides as follows:

“3.16 Withdrawal or Suspension of Recognition. The privilege of competing for a WBC designation or title, goodwill, trademarks, and other intellectual property associated with any WBC championship or right, the WBC belts, or WBC-sanctioned bout, and the WBC titles and designations, are each owned exclusively by the WBC. Therefore, the WBC may suspend or withdraw recognition of a boxer as a WBC champion, challenger, or contender, as it may determine in its sole discretion, for any reason justifying suspension or withdrawal, including but not limited to violation of the WBC Constitution or these Rules & Regulations, holding the title of or fighting for another organization without the approval or sanction of the WBC, or conviction and/or imprisonment for a crime involving moral turpitude or any other serious moral offense.”

Haney (24-0, 15KOs) was declared “Champion in Recess” on December 13, due to his physical inability to honor a mandatory title defense versus Dominican Republic’s Javier Fortuna (35-2-1, 24KOs). An injury sustained in a 12-round win over Alfredo Santiago last November forced the Las Vegas-based boxer to undergo shoulder surgery which was projected to leave him out of the ring until May.

The development provided an abrupt end to negotiations which were ordered in mid-November, though reaching a point where the bout was destined to head to a purse bid. As such, the WBC named Haney its Champion in Recess which would entitle him to fight for his old belt the moment he was able to resume his career.

Meanwhile, Fortuna was ordered to face England’s Luke Campbell for the vacant title, with their bout to have taken place on April 17 at MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland. The show was canceled due to CDC (Center for Disease Control) regulations in conjunction with the ongoing global coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

Its produced downtime has left Haney on the short list of boxers to be able to leverage the situation to his advantage.

An appeal was filed by Haney’s team on March 23, requesting to be reinstated since he was able to honor his mandatory given the absence of a vacant title fight taking place. Medical records provided to the WBC on April 8 were reviewed and deemed as proof enough to send the belt back to its original owner.

Haney will be granted an optional title defense for his ring return, which again works in his favor given the robust talent existing at the division’s top level. From there, he will be required to face the winner of the rescheduled clash between Fortuna and Campbell which—should the matchup still take place—will now be for the WBC interim title.

From there will come the call for “the winner of Champion Haney’s voluntary defense to fight the winner of the Fortuna vs. Campbell bout immediately after that voluntary defense takes place without any intervening bout.”

The news comes on the heels of his serving as the focal point of a hot button topic. The lightweight came under fire for his declaration that he would "never let a white boy beat me" in response to how he'd envision a fight playing out with unified lightweight titlist Vasilily Lomachenko.

Haney had long been in pursuit of such a fight, only for the opportunity removed after the WBC named Ukraine's Lomachenko (14-1, 10KOs) its "Franchise" champion two months after having won the "Regular" title in a 12-round victory over Campbell last August. Haney won the interim title two weeks after Lomachenko-Campbell with a 4th round stoppage of previously unbeaten Zaur Abdullaev, only to be upgraded to full titlist six weeks later without having to actually fight for the belt.

Lomachenko still holds the World Boxing Association (WBA) and World Boxing Organization (WBO) lightweight titles, which he looks to defend in a unification bout versus International Boxing Federation (IBF) lightweight titlist Teofimo Lopez (15-0, 12KOs). Haney has called out both fighters, as well as rising lightweight contender Ryan Garcia (20-0, 17KO) among several others.

Thanks to the ruling by the WBC absolving him of a mandatory title defense for his first fight back, Haney should now have the freedom to pursue the big fight of his choosing.