Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Usyk vs. Chisora Could Head To Saudi Arabia
By Ron Lewis

Published On Wed Apr 15, 2020, 12:18 PM EDT

Oleksandr Usyk’s fight with Dereck Chisora could end up in Saudi Arabia if that country comes out of the coronavirus lockdown ahead of the UK.

The heavyweight clash had due to take place at the O2 Arena, London, on May 23, but that date was scrapped when the British Boxing Board of Control stopped all shows until the end of May.

And while Matchroom’s other May pay-per-view event, featuring Dillian Whyte v Alexander Povetkin in Manchester, was moved to a new date in July, no rescheduled date has been given for Usyk-Chisora.

usyk-chisora%20(2).jpg

Matchroom first went to Saudi Arabia in December when Anthony Joshua’s world heavyweight title rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr took place at a purpose-built outdoor arena in Diriyah on the outskirts of the capital city Riyadh.

Going overseas is one option Eddie Hearn is looking at as he looks to come out of the lockdown in style. It is understood that he has also lined up television studio space in East London for behind-closed-doors shows.

As of Tuesday, 73 people had died in Saudi Arabia having tested positive for coronavirus compared to more than 12,000 in the UK. The country is on lockdown, however, with only a handful of international flights departing or arriving.

Matchroom had already intended to run two shows in Saudi Arabia this year, one in December in Diriyah and one in early July “somewhere else”.

One option could be Jeddah, which staged the World Boxing Super Series final between Callum Smith and George Groves in 2018 as well as Amir Khan’s fight with Billy Dib last year. Indeed Usyk had initially been due to box Murat Gassiev there in 2018, until injury intervened and the rearranged fight was moved to Moscow.

Wherever it is, it will need to be air-conditioned. The average temperature for Saudi Arabia in July is 106° F.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m listening to Keith Thurman’s interviews on fight hype. Dude said he had to lose 35lbs twice last year before each fight. He had to train while he was injured. Based on the interviews this is what I’ve gathered:

1. He needs to master how to train as an “older fighter.” He’s only 31, but it’s considered an older athlete. Damn near every fighter has something nagging them, so it isn’t exclusive to you.

2. He needs to master how to conduct yourself as a top fighter in your division. He talked about in the interview the large gap you have as a top tier fighter, and how easy it can be to put on weight. Well, you aren’t fighting at the lower level no more Keith, where you get to fight frequently. You gotta figure out how to keep your weight in check. That’s basically part of the game.

I feel like if he made adjustments in these areas, it would do wonders for him. He’s not the only though, a lot of these guys been blowing up between fights, then want to say “hey I had to lose 40 lbs” as an excuse. That’s on you Nyggas .

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I’m listening to Keith Thurman’s interviews on fight hype. Dude said he had to lose 35lbs twice last year before each fight. He had to train while he was injured. Based on the interviews this is what I’ve gathered:

1. He needs to master how to train as an “older fighter.” He’s only 31, but it’s considered an older athlete. Damn near every fighter has something nagging them, so it isn’t exclusive to you.

2. He needs to master how to conduct yourself as a top fighter in your division. He talked about in the interview the large gap you have as a top tier fighter, and how easy it can be to put on weight. Well, you aren’t fighting at the lower level no more Keith, where you get to fight frequently. You gotta figure out how to keep your weight in check. That’s basically part of the game.

I feel like if he made adjustments in these areas, it would do wonders for him. He’s not the only though, a lot of these guys been blowing up between fights, then want to say “hey I had to lose 40 lbs” as an excuse. That’s on you Nyggas .

what is he doing that hes getting injured like this? thats a lot of weight to keep losing. keep in mind keith was operating on and off at 154 before settling at 147..he sounds like he needs to go back there

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
what is he doing that hes getting injured like this? thats a lot of weight to keep losing. keep in mind keith was operating on and off at 154 before settling at 147..he sounds like he needs to go back there

Even if he went to 154, with those bad habits, he’d still have to shed the weight.

There’s basically no motivation if a fight isn’t lined up.