Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
def agree with the bolded...he should have went after taylor again but he went after bazooka ike...which he won convincingly...not knocking that..but then jumps up to face someone like bhop i thought it was too much...bhop made sure of that...he took too much time off and instead of going after a soft touch..he goes after punisher and like you said got dominated..hit with every punch in the book...then takes 3 years off only to come back and get beat up by quillin..thats why we have the winky wright school of business as a boxing term

wright vs ouma would have been dope...i think wright would have been too big for margarito...margarito never really handled being at 154 in his prime well...those daniel santos fight always stuck out to me

When fighters manage their career like that, I stop taking them seriously. It just shows me it’s solely about the money, and you aren’t respecting the craft. I feel like Tito did the same nonsense, fighting Roy Jones after being out the ring for nearly 3 years.

Margarito is probably too small for him, but I still would have found it interesting. I think he would do better then a lot of other fighters Winky fought, just based on his style. Winky never really dominated volume punchers.

what are your thoughts on Harry Simon?

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
Doesn't this basically prove my point? That's it's impossible to look back and give Khan the benefit of the doubt because his flaws have been put on full display multiple times
Imagine if Wilder loses badly to Fury again, then loses badly to Andy Ruiz or something. No one will say Wilder could have beat Anthony Joshua if they fought in 2019, despite the facts tons of ppl were saying it at that time

I get what you said in the post i quoted. I read it wrong. I think Floyd woulda established himself early tho

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
When fighters manage their career like that, I stop taking them seriously. It just shows me it’s solely about the money, and you aren’t respecting the craft. I feel like Tito did the same nonsense, fighting Roy Jones after being out the ring for nearly 3 years.

Margarito is probably too small for him, but I still would have found it interesting. I think he would do better then a lot of other fighters Winky fought, just based on his style. Winky never really dominated volume punchers.

what are your thoughts on Harry Simon?

harry simon...was a little overrated...he was entertaining as hell to watch..if i remember he used to get into all types of wild shyt and a car accident pretty much ended things for him

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
harry simon...was a little overrated...he was entertaining as hell to watch..if i remember he used to get into all types of wild shyt and a car accident pretty much ended things for him
Fellow countryman. Talented as hell but he messed things up for real. Even got into brawls outside the ring

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Atlas: Wilder Doesn't Know How To Fight; Exposed Again For No Fundamentals
By Keith Idec

Published On Sat Mar 21, 2020, 08:39 AM EDT

Teddy Atlas thinks Deontay Wilder could learn from what Tyson Fury did before their rematch.

Fury replaced trainer Ben Davison with Jevan Steward just before Fury began training camp for their second heavyweight title fight February 22 in Las Vegas. The result of switching trainers couldn’t have been better for Fury, who overwhelmed Wilder with physicality and pressure, scored two knockdowns and stopped the previously unbeaten WBC champion in the seventh round at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Atlas, a veteran trainer and longtime ESPN analyst, discussed what went wrong for Wilder and what the former champion could do before their third fight during a recent appearance on SiriusXM’s “Ak and Barak Show.”

“Maybe do what Fury did in his last fight, get a new trainer,” Atlas said, referring to Wilder replacing longtime trainers Jay Deas and Mark Breland. “I mean, and that’s hard for me to say because I just don’t wanna knock anybody in my business. I’ve been in it 44 years. The last thing I wanna do is start knocking people. But when you ask a question, a direct question, that, you know, calls for a direct answer, you either gotta keep your freakin’ mouth shut or you gotta give a direct answer. And, you know, [getting a new trainer is] one of the things to show that something will be different.

“Because last time what he showed – what he had showed other times, quite frankly, but he didn’t pull it out of the fire with the great power this time – he showed that he doesn’t know how to fight. And a lot of people say, ‘Teddy, did you just say that?’ Yeah, he’s a millionaire, multimillionaire, he’s had [10] title defenses, was the world champion – he didn’t know how to fight. But he had that one thing that is not made, it’s born, the power to punch. And it was a great eraser. And, you know, it takes care of a lot of sins. And it did, it took care of a lot of sins for him.”

fury-wilder-rematch-hafey%20(16).jpg

Those same flaws Fury exposed were evident to Atlas when Wilder opposed Luis Ortiz in their rematch three months before Fury defeated him. But as often happened during Wilder’s ascent to stardom, he nullified Ortiz’s advantages with his pulverizing power by landing a right hand that abruptly halted their second fight in the seventh round November 23 at MGM Grand Garden Arena.

“Even in the Ortiz fight, he was losing six rounds to nothing,” Atlas said. “Let’s not forget that, to a 40-year-old guy. Yeah, a southpaw. Yeah, a solid guy that had fought in the Cuban national team, amateur team, which is, of course, a great amateur team. But he’s 40 years old and he had knocked him out in the previous fight. And again, he’s losing six rounds to nothing. But the hammer was there. This time it wasn’t there. He was exposed again for having no fundamentals, really none of the rudimental things that you need, usually, to be a top fighter and definitely to have longevity. And, you know, when the power’s not there anymore, your career comes to a halt. Well, at least it comes to a pause. It’s at a pause right now.”

The outspoken Atlas isn’t sure Wilder can do much to correct his flaws in the short amount of time between their second and third fights. England’s Fury (30-0-1, 21 KOs) and Alabama’s Wilder (42-1-1, 41 KOs) are tentatively scheduled to meet again July 18 at MGM Grand Garden Arena, but that date could change if fights continue to be postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“What do you do now to get past the pause?,” Atlas continued. “You learn how to fight, and that’s not gonna happen. I mean, that’s gonna happen from now to July? And they’re probably not gonna bring in somebody new for the possibility. And we don’t know if it’s all the trainer’s fault or he’s not a good student or he’s arrogant. And, you know, somebody who has that great gift of punching, it’s a great curse that goes with it. Sometimes you don’t have to learn anything else. Sometimes you don’t have to develop yourself in other areas. So, you get away with it for so long, and you’re winning, who’s gonna argue with you?”

I agree that he needs to bring in new trainers but it probably won't help enough at this stage of his career.
Watching these 90's HW fights I came to think in that era Wilder would be a sloid B level guy like Ruddock or Mercer. Good enough to make it hard for the best on his better nights/good stylistic matchups but not good enough to actually beat them. It's just the 10's have a shallower talent pool at HW so a guy even with Wilder's ability could became a top guy with all the hype behind him.

It's a more entertaining era than the mid-late '00s though, I like this era of HW. But in quality it still falls short to the better eras.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
that fight with winky was pretty good and close

Definitely remember that. I swear he was supposed to fight tito and while tito would be the favorite it would be a damn good fight. Here is a good one which showed he had a very good chin

Wayne was legit one of the heaviest handed dudes around with that rare 1 hitter quitter

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Definitely remember that. I swear he was supposed to fight tito and while tito would be the favorite it would be a damn good fight. Here is a good one which showed he had a very good chin

Wayne was legit one of the heaviest handed dudes around with that rare 1 hitter quitter

at the rate he was going he would have lost sooner or later.....i still cant believe he is still undefeated

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I agree that he needs to bring in new trainers but it probably won't help enough at this stage of his career.
Watching these 90's HW fights I came to think in that era Wilder would be a sloid B level guy like Ruddock or Mercer. Good enough to make it hard for the best on his better nights/good stylistic matchups but not good enough to actually beat them. It's just the 10's have a shallower talent pool at HW so a guy even with Wilder's ability could became a top guy with all the hype behind him.

It's a more entertaining era than the mid-late '00s though, I like this era of HW. But in quality it still falls short to the better eras.

in the 90s...wilder would be the black version of tye fields or another julius long

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast

He been waiting to say that about that nygga for a long time. Passionate but he gets crazy overly all these talented white boxers like Fury, Loma, and Uysk...no one has been able to stop Wilder's parade except Fury. Way too premature to act like he's magically about to be Gerald Washington.