The Official "Billions" Season 1 Thread

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Hate to bring back an old ass thread but I literally just binged season one of this shyt over the last two days and I’m HOOKED. Can’t believe I ignored this shyt for so many years. :wow:

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Hate to bring back an old ass thread but I literally just binged season one of this shyt over the last two days and I’m HOOKED. Can’t believe I ignored this shyt for so many years. :wow:

Keep your expectations at "NY Finance Entourage", and you'll enjoy it.
If you fool yourself into thinking its much deeper than that, you'll be disappointed.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
How does this compare to succession?

They're actually quite different.
In some ways, Billions has some similarities to shows like "Entourage" and "Ballers".

It's also more about a duel between two men/organizations. And unlike Succession, Billions is in love with its characters and thinks they're all much smarter AND 'cooler' than the common man.

Ryze

All Star
Bushed
Daps
I binged first few seasons at different times and skipped to the last episode when I got to the final season. It's good tv. I couldn't get into succession, any suggestions to fill the vacuum?

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Seeing this bumped reminded me of how hard this shyt fell off after the first few seasons. I didnt even bother with the last season or two :francis:
I binged first few seasons at different times and skipped to the last episode when I got to the final season. It's good tv. I couldn't get into succession, any suggestions to fill the vacuum?
What are you lookin for specifically Scifi, action? something like this?
Justified, Foundation, The Shield, Mayor of Kingstown, Gangs of London some decent shows.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I watched til the end. I felt they didn't make the case that Mike was a threat to the country. 4/5.
That’s why the show ultimately was wack. These dorks thought they were the heroes because of money and status, yet never could show why Mike was bad.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
That’s why the show ultimately was wack. These dorks thought they were the heroes because of money and status, yet never could show why Mike was bad.
The Hitler reference, nuke comment, ability to get people on his side, and ruthlessness. I get that the recipes is there. But it was so light that it was like, "ok. so?"

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
The Hitler reference, nuke comment, ability to get people on his side, and ruthlessness. I get that the recipes is there. But it was so light that it was like, "ok. so?"
It was a lazy attempt to stay current with a guy who wasn't a villain. The earlier seasons were better because Chuck and Axe were not villains or heroes—just two men doing their jobs and trying to win in any way possible and it being a battle between new and old money. Attempting to make Mike a supervillain was so lazy and out of the show's character.

Also, it's not a political show, but they forced that in because politics has become entertainment now. Just like they swung and missed on that anti-billionaires shyt in the prior season because, fundamentally, this show is for the 1%er. They made everything about how brilliant the 1%er is and then created a fake movement that if you know anything about the writers backgrounds, you would know believe in the billionaires.

The show was flailing before this point, but it should have ended with Axe in Switzerland. That was more true to how this show is, imo.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!

It was a lazy attempt to stay current with a guy who wasn't a villain. The earlier seasons were better because Chuck and Axe were not villains or heroes—just two men doing their jobs and trying to win in any way possible and it being a battle between new and old money. Attempting to make Mike a supervillain was so lazy and out of the show's character.

Also, it's not a political show, but they forced that in because politics has become entertainment now. Just like they swung and missed on that anti-billionaires shyt in the prior season because, fundamentally, this show is for the 1%er. They made everything about how brilliant the 1%er is and then created a fake movement that if you know anything about the writers backgrounds, you would know believe in the billionaires.

The show was flailing before this point, but it should have ended with Axe in Switzerland. That was more true to how this show is, imo.

Never bothered with watching the final season...but even as far back as the FIRST season they did a poor job showing why AXE himself was bad.
They tried to make it kind of a "twist" that Axe had this big secret that he shorted stocks the day after 9/11...and that if his firefighter fans found out about it they would hate him for some reason.

But I can't figure out why they were supposed to hate him for making money AFTER 9/11...it's not like he caused it or knew about it ahead of time. By that logic, they should hate anyone for even just selling stocks after 9/11.