The Official "Better Call Saul" Season 1 Thread

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
Saw a few great posts on Reddit describing how I felt about this:
"
Right...but...imagine your whole life, you've been doing everything right. You worked really hard to be where you are, and your fukk up of a brother just scoots through life with no issues whatsoever. He gets in trouble, you bail him out because you're his brother, and you want your family name to be something you can be proud of, and even if you don't really like the guy, he's your brother and your problem, and you have to have some compassion for him. If you've ever had a sibling that you've had some long standing beef with, you'll know what I'm talking about. You don't have to like the guy, but he's still your brother, and deep down you want to love him even if he's kind of a slime ball.

Now imagine this guy that has a criminal tendency, and you helped him get on his feet, and he's actually able to do what you did, but at a way cheaper, shyttier school. Like, you went to Harvard, and your fukk up little brother went to Devry University and got his "diploma", and he's like "Heey! Check it out! I'm a real lawyer technically ! We can work together on cases now, bro!"

Some people, they'd embrace that. They'd be like "Hey, ya know, good for you, you're trying. Obviously I won't trust you on the floor by yourself, let's test you out and see if you can do my leg work for me on cases, do some intern bytch work, and if you prove yourself, we'll see what you can do."

...But at the same time, you've pulled this guy's nuts out of the fire on several occasions. He's been a complete fukk up in the past, and he's living life fast and easy and just expects you to keep helping him out. You've done all you can, and maybe you're just fukking tired at this point.

And, maybe, you develop a mental illness because of the guilt of throwing him under the bus. Maybe that guilt just eats you up inside so much that you start to feel physically ill just thinking about it. And maybe you start to get better because you get back into your work again, your brother helps you out the whole time you're feeling bad, and you start to think maybe he's a decent guy, but you still have that twang of "this guy has been a fukk up his entire life...I don't know if I can't trust him."

What I'm saying is...maybe Chuck isn't a bad guy. I think he loves his brother...but he trusts him about as far as he can throw him. And it's a dikk move...but if you've ever had a sibling that you've had a long standing disagreement on something with, or god forbid even went a few years without talking to them, you know what I'm saying. It's a weird situation to be in. But, I think I sorta see where he's coming from, even if I completely disagree with him.

This was a wall of text, my apologies to your inbox, haha.

TL;DR: Chuck pulled a dikk move, but we don't really know their history. Maybe it's sibling rivalry. Maybe it's envy that Jimmy can go through life without any problems, and years of pulling him out of the fire has worn down on him, and even if he loves the guy, he doesn't trust him. It's a shytty situation all around."
"
Bob Odenkirk did a Q&A last week where (among other things) he discussed the big scene at the end of "Pimento" (S01E09) and one of the things he said that surprised me was: "Chuck was right about Jimmy."

He talked about how sympathetic he (as a viewer) was towards Chuck. That Chuck was absolutely correct about Jimmy - Jimmy was dangerous with a law degree, and Chuck was watching something he loved perverted, but was struggling with it because he loved his brother as well. Chuck was (obviously now) the one who kept Jimmy from being hired, making Howard pretend to be the bad guy because he loved his brother. He (Bob) was sympathetic towards Chuck in this situation. (It was my take that for him it was akin to working hard and paying your dues in acting/comedy, Odenkirk, like Chuck, has dedicated his life to his work, but that's just a guess.)

Poorly paraphrasing what Bob Odenkirk said, Chuck had been suppressing a lot over the last few years and it finally came out, he exploded. But it was justified (as much as we love Jimmy). Chuck knew Jimmy's past. And Odenkirk pointed out we all know how Jimmy ends up, and so Chuck is later proven right. He (Bob) didn't view Chuck as causing or creating Saul, but rather Saul was a character that Jimmy developed (Bob pointed out that in BrBa we never got to see Saul at home or living a regular life, never got to see Jimmy take off the Saul character, that he viewed that law office as 'theater' to attract the 'homeboys').

TLDR: While Jimmy obviously felt betrayed, Odenkirk viewed Chuck’s actions as both protective of Jimmy and true to his deep-held beliefs and reverence of the law and serving the client."

Last edited:

Nymbus

Great Value Man™
Supporter
Daps
Jimmy: Guess I'll have to get an office right next to yours huh? :skip:
Chuck:
CM-Punk-laughing-at-Stephanie.gif

I mean I was expecting Chuck to flip the script but to actually be the mastermind behind jimmies frustrations?:lupe:

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
"Any betrayal you can see is trivial, what is truly frightening and much more lethal, is the betrayal you cannot see."- Aizen

From the moment that Chuck went out into the night and made the phone call, I knew something was up. Then when Hamlin turned him down at the office and told Kim to close the door when she tried to stick up for Jimmy, leading into Jimmy charging back up the cell phone and waiting for him on the couch. Why you have to do Jimmy like that Chuck :to:? Bro has been picking up your groceries and made you a space suit and everything :damn:. Such a well played scene at the end there, by both of them. You could really feel the hurt coming through Jimmy's voice and Chuck with his crazy ass had misguided reasons for doing what he did. Jimmy could see everyone else doubting him, but didn't expect that from his brother :wow:.

Mike clowning ol boy in the garage and making sure Nacho came up off that $20 :francis:

Really interested to see how they close out the season next week.

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi
"
Right...but...imagine your whole life, you've been doing everything right. You worked really hard to be where you are, and your fukk up of a brother just scoots through life with no issues whatsoever. He gets in trouble, you bail him out because you're his brother, and you want your family name to be something you can be proud of, and even if you don't really like the guy, he's your brother and your problem, and you have to have some compassion for him. If you've ever had a sibling that you've had some long standing beef with, you'll know what I'm talking about. You don't have to like the guy, but he's still your brother, and deep down you want to love him even if he's kind of a slime ball.

Now imagine this guy that has a criminal tendency, and you helped him get on his feet, and he's actually able to do what you did, but at a way cheaper, shyttier school. Like, you went to Harvard, and your fukk up little brother went to Devry University and got his "diploma", and he's like "Heey! Check it out! I'm a real lawyer technically ! We can work together on cases now, bro!"

Some people, they'd embrace that. They'd be like "Hey, ya know, good for you, you're trying. Obviously I won't trust you on the floor by yourself, let's test you out and see if you can do my leg work for me on cases, do some intern bytch work, and if you prove yourself, we'll see what you can do."

...But at the same time, you've pulled this guy's nuts out of the fire on several occasions. He's been a complete fukk up in the past, and he's living life fast and easy and just expects you to keep helping him out. You've done all you can, and maybe you're just fukking tired at this point.

And, maybe, you develop a mental illness because of the guilt of throwing him under the bus. Maybe that guilt just eats you up inside so much that you start to feel physically ill just thinking about it. And maybe you start to get better because you get back into your work again, your brother helps you out the whole time you're feeling bad, and you start to think maybe he's a decent guy, but you still have that twang of "this guy has been a fukk up his entire life...I don't know if I can't trust him."

What I'm saying is...maybe Chuck isn't a bad guy. I think he loves his brother...but he trusts him about as far as he can throw him. And it's a dikk move...but if you've ever had a sibling that you've had a long standing disagreement on something with, or god forbid even went a few years without talking to them, you know what I'm saying. It's a weird situation to be in. But, I think I sorta see where he's coming from, even if I completely disagree with him.

TL;DR: Chuck pulled a dikk move, but we don't really know their history. Maybe it's sibling rivalry. Maybe it's envy that Jimmy can go through life without any problems, and years of pulling him out of the fire has worn down on him, and even if he loves the guy, he doesn't trust him. It's a shytty situation all around."
"
Bob Odenkirk did a Q&A last week where (among other things) he discussed the big scene at the end of "Pimento" (S01E09) and one of the things he said that surprised me was: "Chuck was right about Jimmy."

He talked about how sympathetic he (as a viewer) was towards Chuck. That Chuck was absolutely correct about Jimmy - Jimmy was dangerous with a law degree, and Chuck was watching something he loved perverted, but was struggling with it because he loved his brother as well. Chuck was (obviously now) the one who kept Jimmy from being hired, making Howard pretend to be the bad guy because he loved his brother. He (Bob) was sympathetic towards Chuck in this situation. (It was my take that for him it was akin to working hard and paying your dues in acting/comedy, Odenkirk, like Chuck, has dedicated his life to his work, but that's just a guess.)

Poorly paraphrasing what Bob Odenkirk said, Chuck had been suppressing a lot over the last few years and it finally came out, he exploded. But it was justified (as much as we love Jimmy). Chuck knew Jimmy's past. And Odenkirk pointed out we all know how Jimmy ends up, and so Chuck is later proven right. He (Bob) didn't view Chuck as causing or creating Saul, but rather Saul was a character that Jimmy developed (Bob pointed out that in BrBa we never got to see Saul at home or living a regular life, never got to see Jimmy take off the Saul character, that he viewed that law office as 'theater' to attract the 'homeboys').

TLDR: While Jimmy obviously felt betrayed, Odenkirk viewed Chuck’s actions as both protective of Jimmy and true to his deep-held beliefs and reverence of the law and serving the client."
yeah but whos to say jimmy turns out like that if chuck wasnt being such a hater in the first place.
instead of being saul hes being jimmy with a big law-firm

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"

"

Jimmy is still justified distancing himself from his brother with all thst said. He could of gave him an entry level position at the firm and kept eye on him

Spades Of Aces

The Infinity Watcher
Daps
Reppin
Japan
Damn...Chuck dropped that Ether bomb on Jimmy. I honestly was not expecting that. :wow:The one person that Saul trusted the most ended up stabbing him in the back.:mjcry:Safe to say that this is where Jimmy started to "Break Bad".

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: hex