The Official "Better Call Saul" Season 1 Thread

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Loved the pay off with the rancher and the 500,000….enjoy the show, I like it's somewhat lighter in tone and execution then 'Breaking Bad', while being a compelling, highly watchable, well acted drama.

According to the writers, the Mike episode tomorrow is easily as dark as anything they've ever written on "Breaking Bad". :lupe:

Fred.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This show is by no means terrible. But it's missing something. It needs more compelling supporting characters and story lines. I really don't like Saul's brother Chuck or his story. I'm glad to hear Mike is going to be more infused into the show, because this show needs that desperately.

They need to find their "Jessie" to Saul type character to make the story lines more interesting/compelling that drive the plot. Or even a Hank type character. Saul was one of my favorite characters from Breaking bad, but right now I don't feel like I want to watch this incarnation of Saul lead a whole series on his shoulders.

I'm interested to see the direction of the show in the next few episodes. They need better subplots.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This show is by no means terrible. But it's missing something. It needs more compelling supporting characters and story lines. I really don't like Saul's brother Chuck or his story. I'm glad to hear Mike is going to be more infused into the show, because this show needs that desperately.

They need to find their "Jessie" to Saul type character to make the story lines more interesting/compelling that drive the plot. Or even a Hank type character. Saul was one of my favorite characters from Breaking bad, but right now I don't feel like I want to watch this incarnation of Saul lead a whole series on his shoulders.

I'm interested to see the direction of the show in the next few episodes. They need better subplots.
It's jimmy not Saul. And it's not breaking bad it's a seperate thing . Jimmy is a different guy with different gifts from walt

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Comparing the first season of "BCS" to "BB" is kinda unfair because "BB" was only 7 episodes due to the writers strike and they had no idea if they'd be renewed for another season. So they wanted to burn through as much plot as possible.

Whereas "BCS" was renewed for 2 seasons and the global streaming rights were sold to Netflix before a single episode aired. They are playing the long game here, this show could go 4-5 seasons because it has virtually zero chance of being cancelled....AMC just renewed "Halt And Catch Fire" and it does Nelly "Brass Knuckles" numbers.

Anyway I'm rambling, but my point is a better comparison as far as pacing and narrative structure would be season 1 "BCS" and seasons 2-4 of "BB". They ain't gonna drop an "Ozymandias" 5 episodes deep into the entire series.

Fred.
If you look breaking bad season 1 and 2 arent exactly the same as 3-5 which got heavier into the drug cartel stuff . Walt was dealing with simple shyt like where to cook , how to hide that he stole school supplies to cook and how to get that stuff for the cook that turned it blue , air plane crashes and air plane crashes and rehab and how to distribute the blue . The cast was just getting rounded out in season 2 and plus due to the nature of the show breaking bad had life or death stakes and threats of violence . Saul most likely won't be able to go that route and plus we know he makes it through the past to his Cinnabon

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Francis White

i been away to long, my feeling died.
Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
Plus they have a ready made plot for him as Gene , they can explain what happened to Jessie or even hint that he knows where the 70 million that Jack and his crew took from Walt. Saul had to know them since he rep Ira and Todd. He help Mike vet them .

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm guessing that the woman Mike went to look at has a restraining order against him or there is some reason (witness protection?) he isn't supposed to be around her. Saul's talk of wills got him thinking about legacy and he had to go see her (her kids?).

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Francis White

i been away to long, my feeling died.
Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
I'm guessing that the woman Mike went to look at has a restraining order against him or there is some reason (witness protection?) he isn't supposed to be around her. Saul's talk of wills got him thinking about legacy and he had to go see her (her kids?).
Nah that's his daughter in law. He looking out for her.

Amy Traphouse

Supporter
Daps
I think its his daughter. In breaking bad, the reason he worked was to have a trust set up for his granddaughter that she could have once she reached a certain age. Maybe him and his daughter had some type of falling out?

I also remember a scene in breaking bad where he took his granddaughter out for her birthday because he had balloons. Maybe @hexagram23 can expound on it more.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I think its his daughter. In breaking bad, the reason he worked was to have a trust set up for his granddaughter that she could have once she reached a certain age. Maybe him and his daughter had some type of falling out?

I also remember a scene in breaking bad where he took his granddaughter out for her birthday because he had balloons. Maybe @hexagram23 can expound on it more.

From the promo that seems to be his daughter in law, probably the mother of Kaylee from "Breaking Bad".

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Since the 5th episode just aired I posted a review of the 5th episode of "Breaking Bad" from 2008.

The critic basically said the 5th episode was well made, well acted....but a waste of time that killed the momentum of the show.

That episode was "Gray Matter", which obviously turned out to have huge ramifications for the series, all the way to the finale.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you're saying....but it's hard to say what the show is missing or what it needs 5 episodes into the first season. After season 1 is over I'll probably think about this type of stuff.

Fred.

Last edited: