Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Mook killed Verb, imo. I think most battle rappers agree.
I have Verb winning, but it's much closer than I originally had it. Mook was better lyrically, but he delivered his bars in a very underwhelming fashion. And I thought Verb angled him better. But I see how people have Mook.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have Verb winning, but it's much closer than I originally had it. Mook was better lyrically, but he delivered his bars in a very underwhelming fashion. And I thought Verb angled him better. But I see how people have Mook.
To me it wasn't even close lyrically, the skill level between the two was so tilted in Mook's favor that it felt like a landslide victory...but I know everybody hates Mook's arrogant "I'm unbeatable" shtick, he said there was no way he would lose to Verb so that naturally made people want to say he lost.

You might be right about his delivery but I more so thought he was just way way too layered with the wordplay...people weren't expecting that from Mook so they weren't really catching it...if it was a Quantum or Daylyt performance they would have been more susceptible to it and caught more, imo. It's the ideal battle/performance to watch again on the replay

And I felt everything Drugs was saying about Mook...except that Roc will win, lol, I think Mook is gonna 30 him clearly

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
well aware, as I said in my earlier post, they’ve done business, but I don’t view their relationship like a url/qotr.

in fact, why would kotd even want RBE on twitch? RBE would bring in more traffic and make them look bad

if url brought a network of leagues to caffeine, none of those leagues would outdo the url.

Considering the platform, I reckon the numbers would be comparable if RBE was on twitch. KOTD may not have huge to appeal to us but they pretty much have their own market they’re catering to.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Surf can stay gone honestly. And i'll still be the first to pick up a new surf album.

I think it's safe to say Roc is the clear face of URL right now right?

Surf stock took a damn nosedive in 2020 :scust:
There is no face of URL, and in reality there really never was, it's just something people have always felt the need to push. Smack is the face of URL if anything.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Considering the platform, I reckon the numbers would be comparable if RBE was on twitch. KOTD may not have huge to appeal to us but they pretty much have their own market they’re catering to.

RBE would advertise that it’s on twitch and the traffic would come to watch the event.

Here’s the difference between the fan bases.

Leagues like URL & RBE have a strong black fan base PLUS a diverse fan base that enjoys their leagues, including KOTD fans.

KOTD just has a diverse fan base. This is a black art form. If you want to make any real money, you have to appeal to black people. Hell they’ve done many url style battles over the years hoping to get black fans.

The main disadvantage of being a white league is that black people don’t watch it in general. We don’t find white people to be entertaining. However, white people love watching black people.

It’s amazing KOTD has been around this long. This twitch deal really saved them, because they’ve been looking bad the past few years.

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
"I always been the coach's favorite i get crazy shine/
This trey of mine, shoot like reggie and ray combined"

Even with the choke shine/hart has crazy replay value. Hart was absolutely wigging in those first 2 rounds.

Rewatched casey jay vs swamp. Swamp wasn't as bad as i thought but casey was even BETTER then i remembered despite her lack of breath in the 3rd. She 100% simply outbarred swamp every single round. Casey and Vixen needs some big plates for 2021.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
To me it wasn't even close lyrically, the skill level between the two was so tilted in Mook's favor that it felt like a landslide victory...but I know everybody hates Mook's arrogant "I'm unbeatable" shtick, he said there was no way he would lose to Verb so that naturally made people want to say he lost.

You might be right about his delivery but I more so thought he was just way way too layered with the wordplay...people weren't expecting that from Mook so they weren't really catching it...if it was a Quantum or Daylyt performance they would have been more susceptible to it and caught more, imo. It's the ideal battle/performance to watch again on the replay

And I felt everything Drugs was saying about Mook...except that Roc will win, lol, I think Mook is gonna 30 him clearly
I do think some of Mook's layered wordplay wasn't that great though, even after catching it (admittedly, did take a few watches). I'm not one of those people that believe because it's layered it is automatically dope. It can be layered and ass.

But I do agree, since people don't expect that from Mook, he didn't get the benefits others do. People weren't listening with that kinda ear for him. Whereas if it was a "pen" guy they would be.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
surf gon leave for like a year, just long enough for most people to forget he stunk/choked up the place and then headline the next summer madness with john john or some shyt
He'll battle well before a year is up