Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Am I bugging the fukk out or what. What memorable moments has clips had that ya keep him for? All I know him for is being annoying with the freestyles and crowd and battlers, always crying, and being mad corny…. He has some highlights but none to make me not pick him to gtfoh out the rest. Goodz is out here giving out stage presents for Christmas, shine was moon walking on verb’s head and teaching dna about true physics, twork was strapped in on verbs neck, calicoe stood tall with lux, threw tay roc around like a rag doll, and told ya Detroit carry that shyt on there laps.

What memorable moment has clips had that tops those?
Prime Clips is arguably the GOAT. On 100 he's nigh unbeateable.

This O Red/NJT Lite Work is painful to watch. :francis:

ReasonableMatic

Daps
nikkas are addicted to disfunctional behavior so this Mickey Factz x HHIR video prolly won’t get the attention and exposure it deserves.

But EVERYTHING he said here is REAL TALK.

He addressed URL being the reason for the divide in Battlerap in a very articulate way without burning political bridges by being too direct.

Battlerap coulda been way bigger if URL pushed unity instead of tribalism to stay and protect their #1 spot.

We all know URL carried the culture.

But discrediting other leagues adding their part hurt Battlerap overall on a cultural level and stunted it’s growth.

I feel the same way when popular Battlers do this to other lesser known battlers that added to the culture, but are not as popular as them.

The likes of Danny Myers, Chilla, Ill Will, etc
(often because they don’t engage in the fukkery to make themselves hot, but I digress.)

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikkas are addicted to disfunctional behavior so this Mickey Factz x HHIR video prolly won’t get the attention and exposure it deserves.

But EVERYTHING he said here is REAL TALK.

He addressed URL being the reason for the divide in Battlerap in a very articulate way without burning political bridges by being too direct.

Battlerap coulda been way bigger if URL pushed unity instead of tribalism to stay and protect their #1 spot.

We all know URL carried the culture.

But discrediting other leagues adding their part hurt Battlerap overall on a cultural level and stunted it’s growth.

I feel the same way when popular Battlers do this to other lesser known battlers that added to the culture, but are not as popular as them.

The likes of Danny Myers, Chilla, Ill Will, etc
(often because they don’t engage in the fukkery to make themselves hot, but I digress.)

The whole battle rap culture is weird. It’s like 90 percent of our viewers are business illiterate and it’s completely sad. They don’t understand basic contracts, why the URL focuses primarily on the app, etc.

The crazy thing about it is that people don’t remember the days when there were no contracts. Once Math started going to multiple leagues, other battlers started doing it, and it created some of the worse content in battle rap. It was a terrible period and a bad product on all the leagues.

As far as Mickey, he’s clearly an artist, not a business man.

dutchie

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
From a business POV it makes perfect sense the way URL moves, the only thing you can hold against them is they saying they care about the culture. They care about making profit first and foremost.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
From a business POV it makes perfect sense the way URL moves, the only thing you can hold against them is they saying they care about the culture. They care about making profit first and foremost.

How does the URL not care about the culture?

They actually do a good job of balancing the business while making sure battle rap is presented properly.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
How does the URL not care about the culture?

They actually do a good job of balancing the business while making sure battle rap is presented properly.
Agreed. Plus they have excellent quality control.

The fact URL has been consistently putting on cards for 13+ years while expanding the brand to having their own app and multiple brand deals and basically a platform mostly funded by Fox is not saluted enough. Especially considering how niche a culture battle rap is. It's actually fukking insane

Comparative to their contemporaries who have to take extended breaks and show no upward mobility. The gap between URL whatever the number 2 battle league is so wide now, if URL took a year off, I don't even know if RBE or KOTD would be able to make up any significant ground.