Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK

Rum Nitty might be the most overrated battler ever.

Nitty is a fire punchline writer, but the nikka's content is literally always about guns. Like 98% of his bars are about guns. Saying he's one of the best rappers in American history when he has 1 lane is pretty outlandish.

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Nitty is a fire punchline writer, but the nikka's content is literally always about guns. Like 98% of his bars are about guns. Saying he's one of the best rappers in American history when he has 1 lane is pretty outlandish.

Cant call a nikka with ZERO structure and generic set ups a writer. Dude has little to no technical aptitude, hes just clever. His wordplay/word association is fire but that literally it.

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Imagine putting Nitty and Nas in the same category :scust:Pac and Big are rolling in their graves as well :snoop:

Krs2

Pro
Daps
Nah I agree with Emerson

It's wild how people hype mfs like Shakespeare and all that when battle rappers be writing crazy stuff

I like to read battle lyrics on genius.com cause you can really catch it all and when u read shyt from nikkas like twork (who isn't even considered a pen) u be like too this shyt is crazy i would read a book full of shyt like this

Reptile

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Nah I agree with Emerson

It's wild how people hype mfs like Shakespeare and all that when battle rappers be writing crazy stuff

I like to read battle lyrics on genius.com cause you can really catch it all and when u read shyt from nikkas like twork (who isn't even considered a pen) u be like too this shyt is crazy i would read a book full of shyt like this

Twork isnt a pen...

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Pen = creative writing.

Never understood why punchers aren’t considered elite pens

Reptile

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Pen = creative writing.

Never understood why punchers aren’t considered elite pens

No. Not all. You can be creative and not be a pen, and vice versa. You can also be both, the two arent hand in hand.

Reptile

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Bet, but what do you consider a pen? To me creativity needs to be there for a rapper to be a elite writer.

Narrative ability, thought provoking context, set ups that evoke visuals, round structure. I would provide examples but everytime I do yall be hating...

People think having bars is writing when its not, writing and having bars are different things. nikkas like Twork, Jerry Wess, Danny Myers, Ave, Rum, etc are bar heavy but they arent writers. On the other end; nikkas like Eazy, Calicoe, Swave, Aye Verb, T Top arent that bar heavy (mostly because they CHOOSE not to go this route) but they ARE writers. Then in the middle you have JC, Illmac, JTN, Thesaurus, Loaded Lux, etc; the bar heavy writers. They can punch, do word association, all the CLEVER shyt. But they also WRITE. JC told DNA "my mind bright. One flash, bang; and I give them components" A component is something thats part of a larger whole; meaning JC is painting a bigger picture, there an underlying context when you put everything together as opposed to just the surface meaning. THATS writing.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Narrative ability, thought provoking context, set ups that evoke visuals, round structure. I would provide examples but everytime I do yall be hating...

People think having bars is writing when its not, writing and having bars are different things. nikkas like Twork, Jerry Wess, Danny Myers, Ave, Rum, etc are bar heavy but they arent writers. On the other end; nikkas like Eazy, Calicoe, Swave, Aye Verb, T Top arent that bar heavy (mostly because they CHOOSE not to go this route) but they ARE writers.
All of those but narrative ability (maybe round structure) are attributes of a puncher.

And even on the narrative end, there are many punchers that’ll hit that point as well (Rums whole grab the nose I’m running down with something bar)

Either way, daps for typing that up. I see where you’re coming from

Reptile

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Illmac, Verb, Calicoe, Eazy, Yung Ill, etc do that too. ALL the WRITERS do. The solely bar heavy nikkas aint doing that.