Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
African-American names - Wikipedia

African-American names

African-American names are part of the traditions of African-American culture. While many Black Americans use names that are popular with wider American culture, a number of naming trends have emerged within African-American culture. Many use their own or their children's names as a symbol of solidarity within their culture.

History

It is widely held that prior to the 1950s and 1960s, most African-American names closely resembled those used within European-American culture.[1] Even within the White-American population, most babies of that era were given a few very common names, with children given nicknames to distinguish the various people with the same name.[2] It was also quite common for immigrants and cultural minorities to choose baby names or change their names to fit in within the wider American culture. This applied to both given names and surnames.[2][3]

Although most consider distinctively black names a recent phenomenon, recent research by Cook et al. has documented the use of distinctive names by blacks in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.[4] The percentage of blacks with such names was similar to that in the 21st century. However those early names are no longer used by blacks. In fact, Paustian has argued that black names display the same themes and patterns as those in West Africa.[5]

With the rise of 1960s Civil Rights Movement, there was a dramatic rise in African-American names of various origins. San Diego State University professor Jean Twenge believes that the shift toward unique Black-American baby names is also the result of the cultural shift in America that values individuality over conformity.[2]

In 2004, Fryer et al. examined the rapid change in naming practices in the early 1970s, with the rapid adoption of distinctively black names, especially in low-income, racially isolated neighborhoods.[6] They favor an explanatory model which attributes a change in black perceptions of their identity to the Black Power Movement.

Rhapscallion Démone

Supporter
Daps
Continued

Influences and conventions

Lieberson and Mikelson of Harvard University analyzed black names, finding that the recent innovative naming practices follow American linguistic conventions even if they are independent of organizations or institutions.[7]

French
Many names of French origin entered the picture at this time as well. Opinions on the origins of the French influence vary, but historically French names such as Monique, Chantal, André, and Antoine became so common within African-American culture that many Americans began to think of them solely as "Black names". These names are often seen with spelling variations such as Antwan (Antoine) or Shauntelle (Chantal).

Rhapscallion Démone

Supporter
Daps
Continued

Afrocentric and inventive names

The Afrocentrism movement of the 1970s saw the advent of African names among African-Americans, as well as names imagined to be African sounding. Names such as Ashanti have African origins.[1] The Black Power movement inspired many to show pride in their heritage. Harvard University sociologist Stanley Lieberson noted that in 1977, the name "Kizzy" rose dramatically in popularity in 1977 following the use of the name in the book and televisions series Roots.[1][8]

By the 1970s and 1980s it had become common within African-American culture to invent new names. Many of the invented names took elements from popular existing names. Prefixes such as La/Le, Da/De, Ra/Re, or Ja/Je and suffixes such as -ique/iqua, -isha, and -aun/-awn are common, as well as inventive spellings for common names. The book Baby Names Now: From Classic to Cool—The Very Last Word on First Names places the origins of "La" names in African-American culture in New Orleans.[9]

The name LaKeisha is typically considered American in origin, but has elements drawn from both French and African roots. Other names—for example LaTanisha, DeShawn, JaMarcus, DeAndre, and Shaniqua—were created in the same way. Punctuation marks are seen more often within African-American names than other American names, such as the names Mo'nique and D'Andre.[1][10]

Rhapscallion Démone

Supporter
Daps
Continued

Muslim

Islam has been a 20th-century influence upon African-American names. Islamic names entered African-American culture with the rise of The Nation of Islam among Black Americans with its focus upon Black advocacy. The popular names Aisha,[1] Aaliyah,[12] and others are also examples of names derived from Islam.

A number of African-American celebrities began adopting Muslim names, including Muhammad Ali, who changed his name in 1964 from Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr. Other celebrities adopting Muslim names include Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (formerly Lew Alcindor) and Amiri Baraka (formerly LeRoi Jones).[8] Despite the Muslim origin of these names and the place of the Nation of Islam in the Civil Rights Movement, many Muslim names such as Jamal and Malik entered popular usage among Black Americans simply because they were fashionable, and many Islamic names are now commonly used by African Americans regardless of religion.[1][8]

Rhapscallion Démone

Supporter
Daps
Continued

European and Biblical names

Even with the rise of creative names, it is also still common for African Americans to use biblical, historic, or European names. Daniel, Christopher, Michael, David, James, Joseph, and Matthew were among the most common names for African-American boys in 2013

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
ellis.clarencea.gif

Clarence "Skip" Ellis

was an American computer scientist, and Emeritus Professor of Computer Science and Cognitive Science at the University of Colorado at Boulder. While at the CU-Boulder, he was the director of the Collaboration Technology Research Group and a member of the Institute of Cognitive Science. Ellis was the first African-American to earn a Ph.D. in Computer Science (1969), and the first African-American to be elected a Fellow of the ACM (1997). Ellis was a pioneer in Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW) and Groupware. He and his team at Xerox PARC created OfficeTalk, one of the first groupware systems. Ellis also pioneered Operational Transformation, which is a set of techniques that enables real-time collaborative editing of documents

After completing his Ph.D., Ellis worked at Bell Labs from 1969 to 1972 on probability theory applied to the theory of computing. He left Bell Labs in 1972 to become an assistant professor, and a founding member of the computer science department at the University of Colorado Boulder to work on operating systems research. Ellis left the University of Colorado Boulder after three years to accept a position as an assistant professor in EECS at MIT to work on research related to ARPANET. He left MIT after one year to start work at Xerox PARC and Stanford University. Ellis remained at Xerox PARC and Stanford University for nearly a decade. During his time there, he worked on the icon-based GUI, object-oriented programming languages, and groupware systems. He left Xerox PARC and Stanford University in the mid-1980s to lead the Groupware Research Group at the Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation (MCC). While at MCC, he led efforts in Real-time Collaborative Editing, and pioneered the field of Operational transformation. In the early 1990s, Ellis left MCC to become the Chief Architect of the FlowPath workflow product of Bull S.A. in France. In 1992, Ellis returned to the University of Colorado Boulder as full professor with tenure in the computer science department. There he continued his work on groupware, in particular next-generation, large-scale Workflow systems, and agent-mediated meeting support systems. In 2009, he became an emeritus professor at the University of Colorado Boulder. In 2013, Ellis won a Fulbright Scholarship to teach and perform research in the computer science department at Ashesi University. At Ashesi, his research interests were developing computer systems to simulate alternative forms of government for developing countries. At various points during his career, Ellis worked as a visiting scientist, or a lecturer at IBM Research, Argonne National Laboratory, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Stevens Institute of Technology, the University of Texas, and internationally in Taiwan, Paris, and Accra. He died at the age of 71 in 2014

cox_elbert.jpg

Elbert Frank Cox

(December 5, 1895 – November 28, 1969) was an American mathematician who became the first black person in the world to receive a Ph.D. in mathematics. He spent most of his life as a professor at Howard University in Washington, D.C., where he was known as an excellent teacher. During his life, he overcame various difficulties which arose because of racism. In his honor, the National Association of Mathematicians established the Cox-Talbot Address, which is annually delivered at the NAM's national meetings. The Elbert F. Cox Scholarship Fund, which is used to help black students pursue studies, is named in his honor as well.

Whogivesafuck

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
African-American names - Wikipedia

African-American names

African-American names are part of the traditions of African-American culture. While many Black Americans use names that are popular with wider American culture, a number of naming trends have emerged within African-American culture. Many use their own or their children's names as a symbol of solidarity within their culture.

History

It is widely held that prior to the 1950s and 1960s, most African-American names closely resembled those used within European-American culture.[1] Even within the White-American population, most babies of that era were given a few very common names, with children given nicknames to distinguish the various people with the same name.[2] It was also quite common for immigrants and cultural minorities to choose baby names or change their names to fit in within the wider American culture. This applied to both given names and surnames.[2][3]

Although most consider distinctively black names a recent phenomenon, recent research by Cook et al. has documented the use of distinctive names by blacks in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.[4] The percentage of blacks with such names was similar to that in the 21st century. However those early names are no longer used by blacks. In fact, Paustian has argued that black names display the same themes and patterns as those in West Africa.[5]

With the rise of 1960s Civil Rights Movement, there was a dramatic rise in African-American names of various origins. San Diego State University professor Jean Twenge believes that the shift toward unique Black-American baby names is also the result of the cultural shift in America that values individuality over conformity.[2]

In 2004, Fryer et al. examined the rapid change in naming practices in the early 1970s, with the rapid adoption of distinctively black names, especially in low-income, racially isolated neighborhoods.[6] They favor an explanatory model which attributes a change in black perceptions of their identity to the Black Power Movement.

something interesting

Anglicized African surname:whoo:

The Quander Family is believed to be the oldest documented African American family that has come from African ancestry to present day America. Historians believe so because they cannot find any records of any other African American family whose ancestry has been consistently kept and published. Their origins began in Ghana, Africa to which now the majority resides in either Maryland or Virginia/Washington DC[1] and more recently parts of Pennsylvania.[2]

The Quanders originated from the Fanti tribe in Ghana, West Africa. A man by the name of Egya Amkwandoh was kidnapped during the African slave trade and transported to the United States.[1] According to official slave records, when slave owners asked for his name, and he answered “Amkwandoh,” it translated to them as “I am Quando.’ The next few generations of Quanders went by the name Quando rather than Quander.[3] Other variations used include Quandoe and Kwando. The name became recognized as the present day pronunciation “Quander” during the 19th century. Egya Amkwandoh had two sons, who were both taken away from him and split up. One was sent to Maryland and the other sent to Virginia. The first known records of the “Quando” family existing as free people descent from the Maryland side, specifically the family member Henry Quando. A slave owner by the name of Henry Adams from Portobacco, Charles County, Maryland, included the freedom of the Maryland Quandos in his will on October 13, 1684. The Quandos who reside in Virginia are the ones in direct relation to George Washington, as well as the ones who remained in slavery up until the death of Martha Washington.[1]

Where the family’s freed members acquired land, it has turned into Quander Road and later Quander Road Elementary School named after the family. Homes are built along on the road that have been standing for 100+ years.[4]

The QUANDER surname in America | American Surnames

8cUEIzn.jpg

nyBj5xz.jpg

qPbbbQq.jpg

2xVAx9z.jpg

EJgwGQb.jpg

The QUANDER surname in America | American Surnames

Rhapscallion Démone

Supporter
Daps

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
SYqEchP.jpg

Euphemia Lofton Haynes

Martha Euphemia Lofton was born in Washington, D.C. in 1890, the first child and only daughter of Dr. Willian Lofton and Mrs. Lavinia Day Lofton. After graduating from Washington D.C. Miner Normal School with distinction, she went on to earn an undergraduate mathematics major (and psychology minor) from Smith College in 1914. In 1917 she married Harold Appo Haynes.

Haynes pursued graduate studies in mathematics and education at the University of Chicago, earning a masters degree in education in 1930. She continued her graduate work in mathematics at the Catholic University of America where in 1943 she became the first African-American woman to earn a Ph.D. in mathematics. Her dissertation on "The Determination of Sets of Independent Conditions Characterizing Certain Special Cases of Symmetric Correspondences" was written under the supervision of Professor Aubrey Landrey.

Euphemia Haynes devoted her life to education in the Washington, D.C. area for forty-seven years, including teaching mathematics at Armstrong High School and Dunbar High School. She became a professor of mathematics at Miner Teachers College in 1930 where she established the mathematics department and served as chair of the Division of Mathematics and Business Education (in 1955 Minor Teachers College and Wilson Teachers College united to form the District of Columbia Teachers College.) From July 1966 to July 1967, Haynes served as the first woman to chair the District of Columbia School Board. She played a central role in the integration of the DC public schools. Upon her death, she left $700,000 to the Catholic University of America which was used to establish the Euphemia Lofton Haynes Chair in the Department of Education and to support a student loan fund in the School of Education.

In addition to her academic work, Euphemia Haynes also served as president of the Catholic Interracial Council of the District of Columbia and president of the Washington Archdiocesan Council on Catholic Women.In 2004, the E.L. Haynes Public Charter School in Washington, DC was named in her honor.

Black Lightning

Superstar
Daps
Outstanding High School Junior Already Offered 33 Full-Ride Scholarships

592480c12000004700cb23ee.png

As a kid, high school junior Jahmir Smith never had a dream college. But for a number of universities, he’s their dream student.

The 17-year-old North Carolina native has already been accepted into all eight Ivy League schools and has received 33 full-ride scholarship offers, according to ABC 11 Eyewitness News.

While Smith has a 4.43 GPA at Lee County High School and an impressive ACT score, The News & Observer reported that he’s also constantly being contacted by college football recruiters for his athleticism, receiving hundreds of texts from Division I coaches.

Smith, who started playing football in middle school, has a composite three-star rating out of five on the sports website 247sports.com. Additionally, he was chosen as 2016’s News & Observer’s Metro Football pick after scoring 41 touchdowns and running 2,130 yards in one season.

Smith told HuffPost that while he doesn’t plan on making a career out of football, he’s certainly willing to give the NFL a shot.

“It’s fast money,” he said. “But I don’t want it as a career because it would take a toll on my body.”

He added that if he doesn’t make the NFL, he wants to explore the medical field, specifically anesthesiology. In whatever he pursues, Smith is aware he’ll face challenges because of his race. But that’s not stopping him in the least bit.

“I know the odds are against me because of my skin tone and all, but I don’t really let it get to me,” he said. “I just stay to myself and try to help those around me. I’ve always understood since I was little that people would see me different.”

You can thank Smith’s mom for his unyielding attitude.

“She raised me through all the hardships she faced and helped me stay on track to [get] where I am today,” he said. “Without her I don’t know where I’d be now.”

For Smith, “now” happens to be a pretty good place. He’s still considering all of the 33 schools and is hoping to receive a scholarship offer from Clemson University.

While Smith is clearly exceptional, he’s also awfully humble.

“I mean, my mom tells me how rare it is, but I mean, it’s whatever to me,” he told News & Observer. “I mean, I know it’s a big deal, but I don’t brag about it.

Smith will be disappointing 32 (and counting) colleges in June when he decides which school he’ll attend.

:salute: