The QUANDER surname in America | American Surnames

8cUEIzn.jpg

nyBj5xz.jpg

qPbbbQq.jpg

2xVAx9z.jpg

EJgwGQb.jpg

The QUANDER surname in America | American Surnames

:obama:
People sleep a lil on how many African names actually survived. I been looking into this a lot after I found a case in my own fam.

Peep this list of self reported African born persons in the 1880 census, especially a lot of the names and dates
:ohhh::patrice:
http://files.usgwarchives.net/fl/statewide/census/1880afri.txt

Here's another case here,
http://rootsrevealed.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-search-for-our-african-ancestors.html?m=1

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
:obama:
People sleep a lil on how many African names actually survived. I been looking into this a lot after I found a case in my own fam.

Peep this list of self reported African born persons in the 1880 census, especially a lot of the names and dates
:ohhh::patrice:

Here's another case here,
http://rootsrevealed.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-search-for-our-african-ancestors.html?m=1

The Last African Slaves to Be Brought to America: Eyewitness Accounts

The slave trade to America was banned in 1807, but slaves were still brought to America illegally in the decades that followed. The last known slave ship that brought slaves across the Atlantic was the Clotilde in 1859. What is extraordinary about the Clotilde’s journey is that the young slaves who were sold in Alabama, lived to become free citizens, once the Confederacy had been defeated, and uniquely were able, in the early twentieth century, to record their experiences of being enslaved, not as something passed down from a great grandfather, but as a painful and all too personal memory. It means that many of the events they went through can be described in the words of the slaves themselves.

The Last African Slaves to Be Brought to America: Eyewitness Accounts - Beachcombing's Bizarre History Blog

Black Lightning

Superstar
Daps
Michael Brown's mother crosses stage with Jennings High grads

5928e0efe34e3.image.jpg

The mother of Michael Brown was among those who graduated from Jennings Senior High School on Friday at Chaifetz Arena.

Lezley McSpadden walked with high school faculty and staff into the auditorium at the start of the ceremony wearing a red cap and gown similar to those of the other female high school graduates who followed.

McSpadden’s daughter, Deja Brown, also graduated. A group in the audience cheered loudly when both names were announced.

The family’s lawyer, Benjamin Crump, said the occasion was meaningful, “especially with all they’ve been through.”

Brown’s fatal shooting in August 2014 by a Ferguson police officer sparked several days of unrest, drew international attention and prompted a federal investigation into the city’s police and court practices.

Crump said McSpadden had told him she “has a purpose now to try to uphold the legacy of her son.”

McSpadden is the first graduate from the school’s adult high school program. She did not respond to interview requests.

Jennings Superintendent Art McCoy said McSpadden did not want to divert attention from the other students.

“She took the time to finish what she started,” McCoy said before presenting McSpadden with her diploma.

The adult program began in September after McSpadden met with the district about collaborating with her nonprofit, Michael O.D. Brown We Love Our Sons and Daughters Foundation.

:to::mjcry:

Black Lightning

Superstar
Daps
Lafayette's Jessica Watkins envisions footprints on Mars — hers, maybe
2006 Fairview High grad is selected in NASA's latest astronaut class

20170609__14HWASTw~1.jpg

While one east Boulder County native is toiling for NASA about 250 miles above the Earth, a second from the same neck of the woods has been named as a member of the newest astronaut class.

Jessica Watkins, a 2006 graduate of Fairview High School who calls Lafayette her hometown, is excited to be joining Louisville native Jack Fischer — currently on board the International Space Station — in advancing the nation's aspirations in space.

"I have always wanted to be an astronaut since I was young. And part of that, most of that, happened when I was in Boulder, actually," Watkins said.

"I benefited from, and am grateful for, the experiences and support and mentorship that I received during my education in Boulder. And I have taken that with me as I pursued planetary geology — first at Stanford for my undergraduate, and then at UCLA for my graduate studies."

But the spark that could send Watkins out into the solar system someday was lit even before Fairview.

A native of Gaithersburg, Md. — she and her family moved to Lafayette when she was in fifth grade. Watkins still remembers an after-school enrichment program at the Judith A. Resnik Elementary School in Gaithersburg, named for the second American woman in space, who died in the 1986 Challenger disaster.

"I must have had a conversation with my parents about who she was, and her story, and was inspired by that, but that continued in middle school," said Watkins who attended Louisville Middle School.

"I remember specifically working on a science fair project, building model rockets and testing them. And having fun with that experiment has stuck with me and encouraged me to pursue this passion."

She is well aware of the strong imprint that Colorado people, and the state's aerospace industry, are making on space. Since 1962, 20 astronauts with some CU affiliation have flown 48 space missions, 18 of those astronauts having connections to the Boulder campus.

"Absolutely, yes, there are definitely a few," said Watkins, citing Fischer, whom she has not yet met. "I think it's awesome. And growing up, I know Scott Carpenter Park in Boulder, and knowing about his story, the (CU) aerospace program and astronauts coming out of there, that helped get me there."

'Learning process'

But Watkins never got to CU. She chose to head west to Stanford instead.

"CU was certainly in consideration," Watkins said. "One thing about college was just that I wanted to get out and have more, kind of better, diverse experiences. I spent quite a bit of time in Boulder and wanted to get out and see California — but with the intention and hope of making my way back to Boulder."

But first, space awaits.

Watkins is one of a 12-member 2017 astronaut candidate class selected out of a pool of more than 18,300 applicants. She and two others are at the youthful end of the cohort, at 29 years old.

"It certainly is on the young side, and you are correct, there are three of us that are 29 and I actually think I am the youngest of the three. We chatted this week and discovered that," Watkins said.

"But yes, it is certainly something that is an indication of the direction that NASA may want to go, in terms of the long-term goals of expanding our human presence in the solar system, including Mars potentially. And it is something that I am excited about contributing to."

According to NASA, the astronaut candidates will convene at the Johnson Space Center in Houston in August to begin two years of training. They could then be assigned to any of a variety of missions, including performing research on the ISS, launching from American soil on spacecraft built by commercial companies, or departing for deep space missions on NASA's new Orion spacecraft and Space Launch System rocket.

Although she bears the label of astronaut "candidate," Watkins is a candidate with a darn good shot.

The upcoming training stint "is not something of a weeding-out type of process," she explained. "It is more of a learning process, where we learn a wide range of skill sets and have diverse experiences that will prepare us for space flight in the future. I think there have been a few astronaut candidates or astronauts who haven't flown for one reason for another. But it is not common."

Target: Mars

The are multiple pushes underway to put men and women on Mars. The Orion mission is critical to NASA's effort to reach deep space, but the first unmanned flight of the Space Launch System that it will depend on is not set until late 2018. The first manned Orion flight will not be until at least 2021.

At the International Astronautical Congress in Mexico last September, Elon Musk, chief executive of SpaceX, unveiled plans for his Interplanetary Transport System to take colonists to Mars with trips to start as soon as 2024.

Watkins predicts success arising from the parallel government and private industry initiatives.

"I think the prospects of human footprints on Mars is bright and that's certainly the goal here at NASA and something that we have an amazing group of people and amazing team working toward. I have full confidence on that," she said.

"I think the important thing about the kind of critical point we're at, where we're moving toward private industry as well as NASA having its own goal as well, I think the combination of those two enterprises is going to be extremely beneficial to both sides. NASA, with its expertise in space flights, has been doing it for a long time and doing it extremely well. And the private industry bringing its set of skills and enterprise as well, I think, is going to allow us to reach this extremely high set of goals for exploration that we set out."

Watkins believes there's no question that targeting a Mars landing is a worthy ambition.

"I think there are a few things about that, that are extremely important. The first is the scientific advantage of having human footprints on Mars. I think we can learn a lot by having humans, more efficiently, than rovers," said Watkins, who most recently has been a post-doctoral fellow at the California Institute of Technology, collaborating on the Mars rover Curiosity.

As Mars exploration potentially teaches humankind not only about the red planet but also by extension, our own, she said it's important also "in the human aspect of the idea that working together as an international team of people with diverse experiences, scientists, engineers members of the military, that human exploration and human spaceflight in a lot of ways represents the best of humanity.

"And working together to accomplish that goal would be something that would bring us together as people."

Watkins encourages young people, particularly young girls, to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

There are many positives to the path she is on. And right at the top of the list?

"I would have to say the people," Watkins said. "I have been blessed to meet so many amazing people who have supported and encouraged and inspired me. And I stand on their shoulders as I sit here today."

:salute:

Black Lightning

Superstar
Daps
tumblr_ns5uhhGqba1u7na33o2_400.jpg

Clara Hale was a humble woman and a great humanitarian, a champion of the principles of self-help and self-determination. Through her devotion to her own three children she was inspired to reach out to others in her community who were in need of nurturing.

Clara Hale was born Clara McBride on April 1, 1905, in Elizabeth City, North Carolina. She was raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Her father was killed when she was very young. When Hale was sixteen years old her mother passed away, leaving her completely orphaned. She finished high school on her own and then married Thomas Hale. The couple moved to New York. There her husband ran a business and went to college while Hale worked as a janitor. They were married only a few years when Thomas died of cancer, leaving the young widow with three small children to support.

Hale cleaned houses and continued her job as a janitor, laboring day and night to make ends meet. Eventually she abandoned those jobs to spend more time with her children, Lorraine, Nathan, and Kenneth. She opened her home for childcare, initially keeping the children while their parents worked during the day. The youngsters in Hale's care, many of whose parents worked as live-in domestics, became extremely attached to Hale and her family. They preferred to live all week at the Hale's residence and stay with their own families only on the weekends.

Children came and went from the Hale residence. Her own children grew to consider each newcomer as one more sibling. Hale told Parade's Tom Seligson, "My daughter says she was almost sixteen before she realized all these other kids weren't her real sisters and brothers. Everyone called me 'Mommy."' In 1940, Hale acquired a license to take foster children into her home. She reared some 40 members of this extended family into adulthood and sent each into the world armed with a healthy dose of self-esteem. In time, Hale's foster children grew up to have children of their own. She regarded them as her own grandchildren. Indeed, Hale raised so many children as her own that accounts of the size of her natural family vary from source to source, although most mention one daughter, one son, and an adopted son. What is known for certain is that her family fared well. Her daughter, Lorraine, earned a Ph.D. in child development and became the executive director of Hale House. Hale continued to provide foster care for over 25 years. When she retired in 1968 she could not have foreseen that her most notable endeavor, the founding of Hale House, was yet to begin.

In 1969, Hale was again hard at work, unable to turn her back when confronted by a young, drug-addicted mother, too intoxicated to care for her baby. Lorraine Hale had encountered the young mother and her baby in dire circumstances and had sent the pair to Clara Hale for help. Hale was then 64 years old, but she could not refuse the desperate pair. Indeed, she had no choice when the mother disappeared while Hale made a phone call in another room and left the baby behind. Hale took the tiny baby girl and nursed her through drug withdrawals. The young mother had other children, and when she returned to Hale's residence, she brought the others and left them, too. Eventually she returned to take the children back. Hale sent the family off with her blessing and never charged a penny for her help. Within a few short weeks Mother Hale's apartment was packed from wall to wall with 22 drug-addicted babies. Some of them were abandoned; some were orphaned. As Mother Hale told the tale to Irene Verag of Newsday, "Before I knew it every pregnant addict in Harlem knew about the crazy lady who would give her baby a home."

Slowly the Hales (Clara, daughter Lorraine, and sons Nathan and Kenneth) allowed their lives to become virtually consumed by the effort to instill hope and to inject healing into the lives of addicted parents in Harlem. The dedicated family worked day and night to support their cause. Mother Hale kept the frailest of the infants in her own bedroom, cradling them and walking the floors all night when necessary to comfort each one through the painful experience of detoxification. The younger Hales took as many jobs as was necessary to bring in the funds to support the many, many children who came into their home. "It wasn't their fault they were born addicted. Love them. Help one another," Hale explained to others, as quoted in the Chicago Tribune.

It is not difficult to understand why those who knew Hale adopted the appellation of "Mother" when referring to her. It is difficult to comprehend the extraordinary sense of love and commitment that must have driven Hale to suffer with these babies. Keeping the babies clean and fed, a maxim at Hale House, must have been a burden by itself. Many were premature and sickly. Some had become addicted to heroin in the womb. The babies often suffered from shaking fits and shivering. They would scratch at their own bodies and make themselves bleed. By far the majority of babies were born addicted to crack cocaine. Developmental delays and passivity were commonplace symptoms among the babies at Hale House. The detoxification process took weeks, and Mother Hale strictly refused to administer drug therapies to her youngsters. Instead she comforted them through their withdrawals with personal care and compassion. "We hold them and touch them," are often quoted words from Hale, as noted in the New York Times. She continued: "They love you to tell them how great they are, how good they are. Somehow, even at a young age, they understand that." Many of the youngsters were withdrawn in their behavior, but Hale had a knack for bolstering fragile egos by providing the children with persistent verbal reinforcement, hugs, and smiles.

It was not long before the benevolent work of the Hale family came to the attention of noteworthy philanthropic citizens, civil welfare bureaus, and public assistance agencies. The Hales succeeded in securing a federal grant to renovate a five-story house on 122nd Street. The spacious Harlem brownstone was dubbed Hale House. Percy Sutton, the famed philanthropist and president of the Manhattan Borough, arranged public funding. John Lennon, of the world-famous Beatles, donated thousands of dollars to Hale House before he died, and the John Lennon Spirit Foundation perpetuated his generosity with annual contributions after his death. Other distinguished personalities also recognized the honorable work of Hale House and contributed generously throughout the years in support of the cause.

By 1984 Hale House had acquired a staff of seven college-educated care-givers along with a license to house fifteen children and a reputation for never refusing a child. In an interview with the Los Angeles Times' Beverly Beyette, Mother Hale confessed that she would defy the authorities, but never would she leave a child in need. "Sometimes we have 30 or 40 [children]," she confessed. "[When inspectors come by] we hide them. They say, 'Oh, Mother Hale, don't you give us any trouble."' Many of the children were referred by public agencies, including the police and hospitals. Others were simply abandoned by their mothers.

The founding of Hale House coincided closely with the isolation by medical science of the virus known to cause Acquired Immuno-deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) in humans. This deadly and incurable virus can be easily passed among drug addicts who share needles. The virus can also be passed from mother to infant. Very little was known about the disease or its treatment at that time, but Hale courageously accepted and cared for children who were known to be infected with the AIDS virus, loving and nurturing them the same as all the others.

In 1986, it was estimated that over 500 babies and toddlers had been rescued from drug addiction and the pain and loneliness of AIDS via Hull House intervention. Children of all races and backgrounds, from two weeks to three years, were sheltered and given the same personal care. The work at Hale House did not stop with caring for the child victims of drugs and AIDS. The parents of Hale House children were offered counseling and assistance in finding housing. The goal of Hale House was to reunite the families by teaching the parents to shoulder the responsibilities of life. In order to be reunited, addicted parents were required to participate in a rehabilitation program of approximately 18 months in duration. During that time they were required to maintain contact with their children via weekly visitation. It is a testament to the success of the program that in 1989, after 20 years of operation, only 12 of the many hundreds of children who had passed through the doors of Hale House had had to be placed for adoption. Wayward youths and other addicts also received help and direction to lead useful lives.

Mother Hale was honored by President Reagan during his State of the Union address in 1985. She was invited to Washington, D.C., where she was seated next to Mrs. Reagan during the speech when the President introduced her as "a true American hero." She received the applause of the Supreme Court and Congress with her characteristic humility. In 1989, she was honored with the Harry S. Truman Award for Public Service.

Hale was honored many times during her life. Despite the accolades, throughout the years, Mother Hale's thoughts were always with the needy children who were brought to her for assistance. In 1986, she told Herschel Johnson of Ebony that, "I'd like for it to go down in history that we taught our children to be proud Black American citizens, and that they learned they could do anything, and that they could do it for themselves."

In 1990, the 84-year-old Hale was invited to Los Angeles as an honored speaker at a symposium for care givers and social workers who were working with the problem of infant drug addiction. The public by then was familiar with Mother Hale's work and her reputation. Her words came nonetheless as a surprise to the professional crowd. Mother Hale, as quoted by Beyette, had little else to say except, "Help one another. Love each other," a refrain that she echoed many times throughout her life. Dr. Ernie Smith, also in attendance at the conference in Los Angeles, heard the no-nonsense words of love from Mother Hale, and he reiterated the message. He said, according to Beyette, "Well, Mother Hale didn't have a Ph.D. or an M.D. or 'any other kind of D,' but she took in that first drug baby back in 1969. 'All she had was a rocking chair."'

Hale continued her work. "When I get to heaven, I'm going to rest," she told Beyette. As her health began to fail, she became too frail to hold even the tiny babies whom she loved so dearly. She died of complications from a stroke on December 18, 1992 in New York City. Clara Hale and Hale House are credited with saving the lives and futures of many hundreds of babies over the years. At her funeral in New York she was eulogized by Reverend Carolyn Knight of the Philadelphia Baptist Church, who praised Mother Hale as "The moral conscience of this [New York] city." Mother Hale's work has been perpetuated by the Hale Foundation in New York.

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
My cousin...

Grace Melzia Bumbry (born January 4, 1937), an American opera singer, is considered one of the leading mezzo-sopranos of her generation, as well as a major soprano for many years. She was a member of a pioneering generation of singers who followed Marian Anderson(including Leontyne Price, Martina Arroyo, Shirley Verrett and Reri Grist) in the world of classical music and paved the way for future African-American opera and classical singers. Bumbry's voice was rich and sizable, possessing a wide range, and was capable of producing a very distinctive plangent tone.

Bumbry's career in the world of opera was a remarkable and long one, if somewhat controversial. Initially, Bumbry began her career as a mezzo-soprano, but later expanded her repertoire to include many dramatic sopranoroles. In the mid-1970s and 1980s she considered herself a soprano; but in the 1990s, as her career approached its twilight, she often returned to mezzo roles. She was one of the more successful singers who have made the transition from mezzo-soprano to high soprano (along with her compatriot and contemporary Shirley Verrett); however, audiences and critics were divided over whether she was a "true" soprano. Nonetheless, she sang major soprano roles at most major opera houses around the world up until the end of her operatic career in the 1990s—singing Turandot at the Royal Opera House at Covent Garden (London) in 1993, for example. Her operatic career spanned from 1960 (her debut in Paris as Amneris) to 1997 (as Klytämnestra, in Lyon, France).

gallery-01.jpg

Black Lightning

Superstar
Daps
World’s first African American piano maker

image.jpg

Meticulously placed artifacts grace the walls of Warren Shadd’s Maryland home in the suburbs of Washington, DC.

On one wall hang photographs of his family — his grandmother, his father, and his mother — all playing musical instruments. Another wall displays a retro article from The Washington Daily News about him as a 13-year-old professional drummer.

Of all the remembrances particularly significant to him is a certificate from the Piano Technicians Guild awarded on May 1, 1967 to his father, James H. Shadd, a registered piano technician and professional pianist.

Shadd is a third generation musician, second generation piano technician and first generation piano manufacturer, as well as the first African American piano manufacturer in the world. It is what he was destined to do, he explains: “I am the chosen one,” he said, without a hint of sarcasm. “Not only am I the first African American piano manufacturer, but remarkably enough, we don’t make any other musical instruments in abundance. So, I humbly say that makes me the first and only large-scale musical instrument manufacturer.”

His company, SHADD Pianos, USA, is headquartered in the Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC and his manufacturing facility is located in the Bronx, New York, however, at his home, he showcases seven of his exquisite pianos, including the acoustic concert grand piano that was played on American Idol last season and one that Grammy Award-winning gospel singer/pianist Richard Smallwood used for his latest CD, Anthology. Smallwood, who once accompanied opera legend Leontyne Price at a White House Christmas celebration, had nothing but praise for Shadd’s pianos.

“First of all, for a pianist, it feels and sounds like every piano you’ve ever wanted to play,” he said, “[it’s] your dream piano in terms of the highs, the lows, the mids, the harmonics. It’s just an incredible piece of work.

“Not only does it have a wonderful sound, but it’s beautiful, just a gorgeous piece of furniture. I would play it every day!”

Technically, Shadd has received a great deal of recognition and accolades for the sound, touch, feel, and quality of his pianos. Aesthetically, they are beautiful with the SHADD brand name highly visible on the side of the pianos. Yes, his last name does appear in large gold block letters, but unapologetically, he says it’s more of a symbol - paying homage to those who nurtured him to be the accomplished achiever he is today.

“I have so much respect for my family name,” he said. “It has a lot to do with the blood, sweat and tears of my father and all of the family - my mother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, aunt, mentors…all the people that were immensely engaged in music that influenced me.”

Producing world-class instruments was not always Shadd’s dream. Starting as a young child and throughout his tenure at Howard University, he performed as a drummer with famous jazz icons such as Nancy Wilson, Ella Fitzgerald, Jimmy Smith, Joe Williams, Lionel Hampton, and his aunt, Shirley Horn. During his Howard years, he got a record deal as a solo artist (producing his original Funk/Pop music, singing and playing most of the instruments) and further fine tuning his capabilities as a piano technician/rebuilder - a skill he learned from his father beginning in his early teens.

Having the ultimate high proficiency skill in ‘music chart-reading,’ Shadd also played drums for numerous big band jazz orchestras, recording sessions, and Broadway shows including the hit musical “Ain’t Misbehavin’” starring actress/entertainer, Nell Carter along with the original cast.

After the death of his father in 1992, Shadd took over his father’s business, Shadd’s Piano Hospital Service. Shadd’s father had been the exclusive piano technician for the Howard Theatre, Shadd said. So, he would go with his father to the theater while he tuned pianos for great artists such as James Brown, Count Basie, Sammy Davis, Jr., Lena Horne, Duke Ellington, Art Blakey, Motown, Pearl Bailey, and Peggy Lee.

One day, Shadd was tuning a piano when his client gave him the idea for manufacturing pianos. Old Mr. Tucker started crying and without any hesitation he pointed his finger right where the logo was on his old piano exclaiming, ‘that right there should say ‘Shadd’ because you’re the only one.’

“I had written down some ideas about how to enhance the volume and the sound of acoustic pianos. So, I dusted-off these drawings and notes that I wrote four or five years previously, and started really tinkering around with the piano sound.”

That was the inception of SHADD Pianos, USA, he said. Now, twelve years later, the company has embarked on a historical achievement with a SHADD acoustic concert grand piano being built exclusively for the Vatican, he said. “The Vatican seemed untouchable, unattainable, yet it has become a reality for SHADD” he says.”

Aside from having a piano inside the Vatican, Shadd, whose pianos have been played by jazz pianists Monty Alexander, Harry Connick, Jr., Patrice Rushen, Cyrus Chestnut, Chip Crawford, Ellis Marsalis, Kenny Barron, Antonio Ciacca, Wayne Linsey, Orrin Evans, and Geri Allen in addition to a host of other famous musicians, also would like to build a piano for President Barack Obama. With a creative brain that never shuts off, Shadd has also developed a Hybrid Interactive Piano (H.I.P.), equipped with speakers on the front and underneath the piano, a bench with surround sound speakers, a powerful concealed computer, several touchscreen monitors and video cams that allow for online interactive teaching and learning, MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface - to create synthesizer keyboard sounds), and many other innovative features. This technology was created for performance, recording, education (distance learning), and to change lives.

“We tested a full year with autistic, deaf, and blind children,” Shadd said. After a year of strict punctilious tests, Shadd and Dr. Phillip Pearl (Chief of Neurology at Harvard Medical and Boston Children’s Hospital along with a dream team of decorated researchers, music therapists, and medical scientists), wrote a medically detailed dissertation based upon Shadd’s groundbreaking Assistive technology which included his patented computerized, musical, interactive, therapeutic, and audio innovations which encourages social interaction, uplifts spirits, ascends skill sets, brings out embedded talents, instills confidence, improves mental and physical capabilities, produces vibrations for the deaf to identify pitches, and introduces visual colors for the blind. This breakthrough information was published in the highly regarded Music and Medicine Journal, July 2013.

Ree Rinn, a partially deaf pianist and teacher, expressed excitement when she was introduced to Shadd’s H.I.P. Numerous ear infections from childhood left Rinn unable to detect high register sounds, and even though she received a bachelor’s degree in music, Rinn said she was never able to hear the last 10 notes on a piano until she heard Shadd’s hybrid interactive piano that delivered deliberate high frequencies that were unexpected by her.

“I suddenly found myself nearly in tears when I realized I could hear piano notes I had never heard before,” she said. “This was astonishing to me and an immensely moving experience.”

Along with SHADD’s interactive piano model, there is also a keyboard version. As a humanitarian effort, Shadd plans to distribute the keyboard version around the world to children in impoverished communities and developing countries, empowering them with the opportunity to interact with other children and teachers to learn firsthand about new cultures, computer technology, international business, languages, tolerance, music, and more.

“I believe it is important to share this innovative technology to introduce a whole new world of social, musical, educational, technological, and medical interaction as a beacon of goodwill.”

Last edited:

Black Lightning

Superstar
Daps
10-Year Old Black CEO Gets Distribution for Her Popular Invention in Once Upon a Child Stores Across the Country

gabrielle_goodwin_founder_gabbys_bows.jpg

Nationwide
— Elementary entrepreneur Gabrielle Goodwin is now selling her hair accessory invention GaBBY Bows in 50 Once Upon a Child stores in 16 states across the US. With the help of her mom Rozalynn, the 10 year-old CEO solved the age-old problem of disappearing girls’ hair barrettes by inventing The Double-Face Double-Snap Barrette by GaBBY.

Gabrielle was just five years old when she started daily insisting she and her Mom create a barrette that would stay in her hair. They started the company when Gabrielle was seven years old. In just three years of operations, GaBBY Bows have saved families time, money and frustration in all 50 states and eight countries through online sales at www.gabbybows.com.
A straight-A student, Gabrielle is the self-proclaimed President and CEO, handling inventory, serving as the lead saleswoman at trade shows, speaking to community groups and schools, personally writing thank you cards to customers who order online, and helping with sales taxes. She also hosts GaBBY Play Dates to teach girls in children’s shelters about entrepreneurship.

In 2015, Gabrielle was named the youngest ever South Carolina Young Entrepreneur of the Year. The following year, she and her mom were named a 2016 SCORE and Sam’s Club American Small Business Champion, and awarded as the 2016 SCORE Foundation Outstanding Diverse Business of the Year. A children’s book about Gabrielle and GaBBY Bows, “Gabby Invents the Perfect Hair Bow” will be published by Entrepreneur Kid this summer.

“It feels really good to walk in a store and see your own product on the shelves! I am grateful to have a LOT of supporters and be expanding.” says Gabrielle Goodwin.

You can support Gabrielle by locating the Once Upon a Child store near you at www.gabbybows.com.

Black Lightning

Superstar
Daps
How this Ohio janitor built himself a multimillion-dollar oil empire

104238141-STEVE_HIGHTOWER.600x400.jpg

Steve Hightower's first job was working nights and weekends for his parents' cleaning business.

While he was in college, it made sense to continue.

"I started as a janitor. I started cleaning floors and toilets and doing those things that most people would never even dream of doing," says Hightower, who appeared on CNBC's "Blue Collar Millionaires." But, he says, "I wanted more."

When he graduated from Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio, in 1978, he started his own small construction company.

As he tried to grow his business, Hightower struggled to get access to credit. At the same time, he learned about a program to sell gas in Ohio. That gave him ideas.

Hightower has always had big dreams, and he has never doubted his capability.

"When people ask me would I ever have imagined I would be where I am today? Absolutely," Hightower tells CNBC.

"Because if you don't think that you can be great, you'll never be great. And I knew that I was gonna be great a long, long time ago."

104238236-STEVE_HIGHTOWER_janitor.600x400.jpg

Steve Hightower's first job was working nights and weekends as a janitor.

Hungry for growth and frustrated with the barriers he was encountering in construction, Hightower pivoted: He developed an oil and transport business in 1981.

At first, growth was slow there too. In 1984, he had just one employee, an accountant, and Hightower Petroleum brought in its first $100.

"I remember when our first one hundred dollar bill came in," says Hightower. "I just remember our excitement."

Today, his wholesale diesel and gasoline company, Hightowers Petroleum, has 85 employees and sells 140 million gallons of oil per year. It buys oil products from refiners and delivers it to corporate customers such as FedEx and GM all over the country. It did $350 million in 2015 and hopes to hit half a billion in 2017.

The former janitor now drives a Jaguar and lives in a 11,000-square-foot mansion decorated with modern art. He also owns a stake in FC Cincinnati, a professional soccer club. He says he didn't grow up watching soccer, but, because he sees the potential to make money by being an investor, "now, I am a soccer fan."

Despite his success, Hightower says he still has aggressive growth goals.

104238238-STEVE_HIGHTOWER_desk.600x400.jpg

"I still haven't made it. I'm still a very humble individual who's trying to do the best that they can and actually one day actually make it," says Hightower. "Because I understand what real money is. And the money that I'm playing with, some people use for, you know, exercise."

He says he will also always stay true to the words of wisdom his dad shared.

"The best piece of advice that I ever got was from my father," says Hightower: "'As long as you're honest, and as long as you don't try to beat anyone, and you do the right thing, then you have the ability to be successful.' And that I think is the best advice that I've had and that I can give to anybody else."