The Official 2024 College Football Random Thoughts Thread

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Milroe, Simpson, Sayin(#1 QB in 2024), Lonergan/Mack with an elite offensive staff is the best QB group.

ja-rule-respect.gif

O.iatlhawksfan

Devoted Joel Embiid hater
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
Knowing how sunshine pumpers operate Bama insiders are going to say Dober knew he was transferring and that’s why they brought in that other kid

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Meh. He was a Co-OC (and mainly just in title). He helped put the plan together throughout the week but Day called the plays on Saturday.

The real question will be is if he is empowering BOB to do his own thing which is more traditional WC offense stuff, or if he's handing him his own playbook that is more concepts based around an Air Raid kind of attack and telling breh just pick shyt from there or add some sauce on to that. I don't neccessarily see it being the latter as BOB been in the game too long and has too much juice to not be able to do his own thing so that will be interesting. Especially having a QB like Howard where Day's playbook would probably allow for more flexibility.

Man made Hackenberg serviceable tho I'll wait and see.

I figured they lil boy’d brain, maybe he’s happy with his pay and consistency, (it’s really underrated especially when you look at all the jobs some of these coaches had before they hit a big gig) maybe he bounces for a true OC position or HC job, that’s interesting to me

In my opinion he got Bob to be the adult in the room and perhaps add more preparation in the saban/bill mindset, and be the change up when the offense stalls, and be the voice in the back of coaches heads that tells them don’t complicate this, like, hey our run game is working keep it going til they force us to stop it, Day don’t strike me as confrontational, so Bob might come in trying to run shyt, (wouldn’t that be hilarious, not for y’all, but the stories of Day getting chumped out) but let’s assume no one steps on anyone’s toes or tries to big boy anyone, i think he probably has to fit himself into Days playbook for continuity sake, with probably some concepts too, i will give Bob credit he’s good at understanding what the qb is comfortable with and what you got to work with, all things lay on will, not sure how that plays out in more critical games, but dudes a winner has a decent arm and can/will run, if teams are smart they don’t allow him to cheat and run, and keep him in the pocket

TUA TAGOVAILOA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
bama
Knowing how sunshine pumpers operate Bama insiders are going to say Dober knew he was transferring and that’s why they brought in that other kid
Why would that be sunshine pumping lol? I don’t think they really have anything to do with each other anyway. DeBoer is really high on Mack and Sayin only came because of Saban. Milroe and Simpson are locked in that’s all that matters. We can worry about 2025 and beyond later

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
I figured they lil boy’d brain, maybe he’s happy with his pay and consistency, (it’s really underrated especially when you look at all the jobs some of these coaches had before they hit a big gig) maybe he bounces for a true OC position or HC job, that’s interesting to me

In my opinion he got Bob to be the adult in the room and perhaps add more preparation in the saban/bill mindset, and be the change up when the offense stalls, and be the voice in the back of coaches heads that tells them don’t complicate this, like, hey our run game is working keep it going til they force us to stop it, Day don’t strike me as confrontational, so Bob might come in trying to run shyt, (wouldn’t that be hilarious, not for y’all, but the stories of Day getting chumped out) but let’s assume no one steps on anyone’s toes or tries to big boy anyone, i think he probably has to fit himself into Days playbook for continuity sake, with probably some concepts too, i will give Bob credit he’s good at understanding what the qb is comfortable with and what you got to work with, all things lay on will, not sure how that plays out in more critical games, but dudes a winner has a decent arm and can/will run, if teams are smart they don’t allow him to cheat and run, and keep him in the pocket

From what I gather, BH isn't quite ready yet. He said he was still grasping things that go behind the QB and WR as it pertains to playcalling and to me, that means he's clearly not ready to hold it down on his own yet. Even if he left, he would probably play himself & whoever hired him as the sole, main OC. I'm thinking this prob a short term move cuz BOB never really stay anywhere too long. Maybe he continues to help Hartline along so he can then takeover.

Whatever the case, if he's good enough for arguably the best college & NFL coach to keep bouncing ideas off of (chips won or not) then I'm sure he'll provide some valuable insight for Day in some capacity. And like you said, he may just be coming in and providing work around the "edges" and not doing a total revamp to try and run his own stuff.

Obv we won't know more til we see it in action on the field but regardless, it's all gonna be on Day. He the one who gotta live or die with the decision. Have a hard time believing he would just scrap his own entire playbook tho as he's spent mad time tinkering with it + it's been shown to work in most capacities and I've seen him call sum masterful games shortcomings be damned.