The Official 2024 College Football Random Thoughts Thread

vino

Superstar
Daps
I think it’s pretty hard to have faith in the coaching after last year. Last year can’t be a 4 win team without disappointing management

So you saying that Buffs had a talented team and under performed? How many games you had them winning? Vegas had 3 and that was a line move.

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
Institutional alignment was yall issue, multiple podcast have spoke on it, which was why “allegedly” Charlie had issues getting things he needed,(players). But let’s grant you that, it wasn’t an issue, Mack won the big 12 what 2-3 times his whole time there colt and Vince made Mack, i knew sark needed time, and he’s already on a roll, winning makes everyone happy, but i don’t doubt for one minute it’s not 80 egos in yall camp
Charlie's main issue was his coaching and coaching staff. He had an open wallet to go hire and all star staff and then made a bunch of comfort hires. Attaching himself to Shawn Watson set him off to failure before he got started. Then when he was basically forced to fire Watson he couldn't find a suitable replacement because everyone knew he was a dead man walking. He did not have a problem recruiting, honestly not sure where that notion even comes from. There are multiple players for his years still in the NFL. Most of them having better pro careers than college. Herman had a similar issue he basically hired a G5 staff. He only stayed afloat so long because Ehlinger was a good QB for his system.

I don't do podcast so I don't know what you are referring to but I'm sure it's likely the same regurgitated assumptions made here. Which all started with the Mack/Saban fiasco which I already detailed. CDC, our AD, has come in and basically aligned everything. All this booster talk is very dated information and was never the reason the football program wasn't as successful as it should have been.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Charlie's main issue was his coaching and coaching staff. He had an open wallet to go hire and all star staff and then made a bunch of comfort hires. Attaching himself to Shawn Watson set him off to failure before he got started. Then when he was basically forced to fire Watson he couldn't find a suitable replacement because everyone knew he was a dead man walking. He did not have a problem recruiting, honestly not sure where that notion even comes from. There are multiple players for his years still in the NFL. Most of them having better pro careers than college. Herman had a similar issue he basically hired a G5 staff. He only stayed afloat so long because Ehlinger was a good QB for his system.

I don't do podcast so I don't know what you are referring to but I'm sure it's likely the same regurgitated assumptions made here. Which all started with the Mack/Saban fiasco which I already detailed. CDC, our AD, has come in and basically aligned everything. All this booster talk is very dated information and was never the reason the football program wasn't as successful as it should have been.

I mean these guys have pretty good solid info, so i trust that outside you being at the meetings, again we can agree to disagree, i said Charlie had trouble getting some players, that part was rumors hence me saying allegedly, but i do know Texas money was divided on his hire, the product on the field was his fault ultimately, but he was fighting an uphill battle cleaning up Mack’s mess

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
I mean these guys have pretty good solid info, so i trust that outside you being at the meetings, again we can agree to disagree, i said Charlie had trouble getting some players, that part was rumors hence me saying allegedly, but i do know Texas money was divided on his hire, the product on the field was his fault ultimately, but he was fighting an uphill battle cleaning up Mack’s mess
If people can't be specific then I can't say they have solid info. Saying we have/had institutional alignment issues is such a broad term, what is something specific they could point to? The only Texas money that had a real issue with the Charlie hire was Red and he stated why openly. I think people take that instance and then the Mack/Saban incident and then extrapolate that into "Texas is a cesspool" Herbstreit saying that on national TV definitely fanned those flames. But boosters fighting over coaching hires is not something exclusive to Texas. We have seen this over and over again throughout the past few years.

Mack made two very big mistakes. After winning the national championship he basically went on cruise control in regards to recruiting. And after losing to Bama in 09 I think, when he lost his starting QB in the first Q, he made the decision to go from a spread offense to a ground and pound, 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense, in which he didn't have the players for. Charlie doesn't have anyone to blame but himself and his HC career post Texas pretty much proves dude was not a good HC, and his failure at Texas was not because of some invisible obstacles he faced with the institution.

vino

Superstar
Daps
I click the profile to see what was said on a tweet. I’m like damn, when I saw the pinned tweet.

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
So you saying that Buffs had a talented team and under performed? How many games you had them winning? Vegas had 3 and that was a line move.
Coaching acumen is more than wins and losses. I don’t have faith in their situational intelligence, the offense didn’t do whatever Sanders was hoping for when he promoted Shumur, and I’d just have to see how the defense looks like when it does.

There’s no value in bringing up what preseason expectations are when I’m seeing Colorado look comparable to the teams they’re playing fairly often. Like you lose to a Stanford team that just spammed the same receiver (and routes). Colorado St spammed slants to their WR1 and I believe seams/zone beaters over the middle to their TE. Got back into it with USC when they ran more tempo and aired it deeper. This is just the loud stuff I remember but I’m sure there’s more to dig for