The Official 2024 College Football Random Thoughts Thread

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
I generally prefer offensive coaches as HC at UF, but if we were gonna go for a Defensive minded coach, I would like Mark Stoops. He has salty defenses, team plays hard, and he knows how to build up the trenches.

However, I don't think it would happen or work out for several reasons.

First, he has a job for life at KY and is making serious money. It'll take more than that to get him to leave, and while I think he thinks about it sometimes, I don't see him as the type who is eager to get out of dodge to a bigger program every year like Lane or like Mullen was at Miss State. He seems like he'd entertain opportunities but isn't dying to get out.

Second, with the NIL situation, Kentucky is actually a better job than UF right now. Especially with how he builds the trenches, the KY program is way more organized and boosters and admin there way more bought into paying players than UF's. UF would be a lateral move for him at best.

Finally, he builds programs from the ground up and will need to take time to get things right. His first 3-4 seasons at KY were pretty bad record wise. I don't think UF fans will have the patience for that, especially since Napier sold that bullshyt "I'm building something up for the long term" process talk, and actually made things worse. The fans are restless in Gainesville and trying to sell them on another rebuild will be hard to do. Especially since Stoops is not "flashy" the patience will be low.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
I generally prefer offensive coaches as HC at UF, but if we were gonna go for a Defensive minded coach, I would like Mark Stoops. He has salty defenses, team plays hard, and he knows how to build up the trenches.

However, I don't think it would happen or work out for several reasons.

First, he has a job for life at KY and is making serious money. It'll take more than that to get him to leave, and while I think he thinks about it sometimes, I don't see him as the type who is eager to get out of dodge to a bigger program every year like Lane or like Mullen was at Miss State. He seems like he'd entertain opportunities but isn't dying to get out.

Second, with the NIL situation, Kentucky is actually a better job than UF right now. Especially with how he builds the trenches, the KY program is way more organized and boosters and admin there way more bought into paying players than UF's. UF would be a lateral move for him at best.

Finally, he builds programs from the ground up and will need to take time to get things right. His first 3-4 seasons at KY were pretty bad record wise. I don't think UF fans will have the patience for that, especially since Napier sold that bullshyt "I'm building something up for the long term" process talk, and actually made things worse. The fans are restless in Gainesville and trying to sell them on another rebuild will be hard to do. Especially since Stoops is not "flashy" the patience will be low.
What do you mean? He was on a plane to A&M until their boosters revolted last minute. I think he's more than ready for a job with a higher ceiling.

I wonder if Oklahoma would take a look at him if they get tired of Venables.