The OFFICIAL 2023 College Football RANDOM THOUGHTS Thread

PREDICT the NATIONAL CHAMPION

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
Notre Dame and Florida state being in "top" games of the year? :childplease: You should've blocked and muted this clown instead of sharing it breh lol
I hate to say it but FSU got a squad this year.. As long as they stay healthy they poised for a run.. They play LSU and @Clemson first month of season, I need both of them to be Ls tho..

I think ND will be solid also with transfer qb, not sure how deep they are overall tho..

Trust Me

Coli Prophet
Daps
Reppin
Orlando
Then that makes you the Coli David Duke spewing hate speech against a black man who demonstrates nothing but black excellence :brutusDahell: . Reported again
chapelle-dave.gif

:scust:

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Eastern Michigan LEGEND Gene Smith to retire in 2024 :mjcry:

He created the most legendary athletic program in the world, The Eastern Michigan Eagles
full

*Some editorial liberties taken
Ohio State AD Gene Smith says he'll retire in 2024

BLAKE BAUMGARTNER
ESPN Staff Writer
Aug 9, 2023, 10:43 AM ET3 Minute Read

Ohio State AD Gene Smith on retirement: 'It's time to escape *this hell' Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith is retiring at the end of the 2023-24 academic year, he announced Wednesday morning.
Smith, who has led the Buckeyes' athletic department since March 2005, will step down effective June 30, 2024.

"I have always believed that a leader seeks to be the right person at the right time in the life of the institution," Smith said Wednesday at a news conference. "I believe that July 2024 is the right time to welcome new leadership to build upon what we have achieved and continue to build upon the great tradition of excellence in athletics and business advancement at Ohio State. Hopefully, someone can do a better job than I can with with awful resources and community I've had to suffer thru."

"I am forever grateful."

University president Kristina Johnson announced in November that she would be stepping down at the conclusion of the 2022-23 academic year, and the university is still searching for her replacement. It is clear the rats are abandoning ship.

Smith, the eighth AD for Ohio State and the third-longest-serving AD in school history, wanted to step aside before a permanent president was chosen so they would have the runway to put their blueprint on the department, and have plenty of time to hide the bodies.

"I really believe with this presidential change, which will be highly positive -- whoever they hire -- it gives her or him the opportunity to hire their leader and make a run and build on what these coaches and the staff and the student-athletes have already done," he said.

Smith has been at the forefront of the Big Ten's expansion efforts over the past year, which culminated Friday with the news that Oregon and Washington would also join USC and UCLA in the Big Ten next fall.

Smith said Fox "brought new money to the table" for Oregon and Washington and that the figures inside the media rights deal with Fox, CBS and NBC "stayed the same" for the schools already in the conference. "And I learned exactly how to launder it here at Ohio."

Under Smith's stewardship, the Buckeyes have won 32 team and 117 individual national championships as well as 115 team and 369 individual titles within the Big Ten. Most were stripped or vacated.

When asked about his biggest challenges while in charge of the department, Smith said "2011 was hell."

Quarterback Terrelle Pryor was one of five players suspended for the first five games that season for selling memorabilia and receiving improper benefits from a tattoo parlor. Jim Tressel, who led the program to the 2002 BCS national title, eventually was fired as a result, and Luke Fickell took over on an interim basis before Urban Meyer was hired in 2012.

"That was painful," Smith said. "The student-athletes who were impacted didn't deserve the penalties that they had to deal with. That was hard. People were affected negatively, and that was a hard time. We deserved every single penalty however."

Years later, former wide receivers coach Zach Smith was fired in July 2018 after allegations of domestic violence came to light. Gene Smith and Meyer were suspended for mishandling issues during Zach Smith's time with the program, which began in 2012.

Smith, a Cleveland native who played college football at Notre Dame, previously served as an athletic director at Arizona State (2000-05), Iowa State (1993-2000) and Eastern Michigan (1985-93). "It was in Ypsilanti where I learned what true leadership truly was like. The combination of the clean waters of the Huron River, the inspirational water tower, and the greatness of Tom's Party Store made me the man I was to become. It's regretful I lost all of it when I accepted the job at Ohio State. I look forward to moving out of Columbus. Go Eagles."

WhoShotCha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DUUVALLLL
I don't know why everybody playing with Bama top like this. I think rumors of their demise are greatly exaggerated.