The OFFICIAL 2022 College Football RANDOM THOUGHTS thread

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
If that’s your best rebuttal, it’s ok to walk a take back bruh, it’s like you will twist and turn til the argument is something entirely different or it’s one point to several that go against your one

Mullen did work some miracles, but having Dak who could do all the things he wanted to do with his offense and a decent roster with a good DC helped a ton, but outside everything being ready made Mullen is ok, an avg coach above avg oc, and guess what that’s ok, because if he was that good, he’d still be at Florida, but he doesn’t recruit, he doesn’t politic, and makes stupid decisions in big games
Mullen lucked out getting a diamond in the rough with Dak. He also lucked out that Doug Nussmeir and MacElwain found him a diamond in the rough with Trask (along with Pitts and Toney).

Yes, I'll give Dan credit for being able to take players who have no business playing QB and making them appear to be somewhat capable QBs (Chris Relf, Nick Fitz, Emory Jones). Which I guess is kind of cool, but if he was really that good at coaching QB's why doesn't he actually have a track record without Brian Johnson of coaching up actually talented QB's?

I'll also add that, "outside everything being ready made Mullen is ok, an avg coach above avg oc" was true in Mullen's prime from 2009-2016. His system is :flabbynsick: and his shortcomings have gotten worse now that he's been paid and is no longer hungry. As you said he'd get laughed out of the NFL, but with NIL can't see him successfully coaching a college team ever again. At least not a P5 team. He is basically Rich Rod status now, although Rich Rod actually changed the game in a meaningful way during his prime. Dan did not.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Mullen lucked out getting a diamond in the rough with Dak. He also lucked out that Doug Nussmeir and MacElwain found him a diamond in the rough with Trask (along with Pitts and Toney).

Yes, I'll give Dan credit for being able to take players who have no business playing QB and making them appear to be somewhat capable QBs (Chris Relf, Nick Fitz, Emory Jones). Which I guess is kind of cool, but if he was really that good at coaching QB's why doesn't he actually have a track record without Brian Johnson of coaching up actually talented QB's?

I'll also add that, "outside everything being ready made Mullen is ok, an avg coach above avg oc" was true in Mullen's prime from 2009-2016. His system is :flabbynsick: and his shortcomings have gotten worse now that he's been paid and is no longer hungry. As you said he'd get laughed out of the NFL, but with NIL can't see him successfully coaching a college team ever again. At least not a P5 team. He is basically Rich Rod status now, although Rich Rod actually changed the game in a meaningful way during his prime. Dan did not.

I think we pick and choose who we give passes to, it’s a lot of coaches who caught lightening in a bottle and that’s it ( the right schedule, player, oc etc) but the problem is the system never evolves, and they look up and everyone has caught up, and it’s only so many times you can hit on a above avg to generational player making your system play out the Frame, then we see what you are, I’m taking to you rich rod, Mullen, Jimbo, frost, and a few others

O.iatlhawksfan

Devoted Joel Embiid hater
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
Emory Jones broke a bunch of Florida QB single game records against Samford last year (ones set by Heisman winners Tebow and Wuerffel).

Fitzgerald padded his stats that year against South Alabama (a game they lost), Umass, Samford (Which Mullen struggled to beat just like last year) and Miami Ohio.

Except for under Trask in 2020 and Dak in 2014 (which Brian Johnson was responsible for both), Mullen's offenses look good on paper (they get some yardage) but don't really put up points and can't win a lot of games. Remember how Mullen boasted about gaining more yards than Kentucky last year even though they only scored 13 points?
You milking it saying Fitgerald was stat padding; teams hated playing Mullen’s MSU squads they had Bama beat on a Saturday night game and I can tell you as LSU fan we dreaded having to play them. You keep brushing off what he did with who, Dak Prescott was a 3* QB who no one was recruiting as a QB. Prescott is from Louisiana and I remember LSU wanted him to play TE. Nick Fitgerald was a nobody coming into MSU and Kyle Trask was a back up to Kellen Mond in high school

DropTopDoc

Daps
Reppin
You milking it saying Fitgerald was stat padding; teams hated playing Mullen’s MSU squads they had Bama beat on a Saturday night game and I can tell you as LSU fan we dreaded having to play them. You keep brushing off what he did with who, Dak Prescott was a 3* QB who no one was recruiting as a QB. Prescott is from Louisiana and I remember LSU wanted him to play TE. Nick Fitgerald was a nobody coming into MSU and Kyle Trask was a back up to Kellen Mond in high school
Dak blossomed into something better than his original ranking, and he came together with his abilities and mullens scheme to make magic, beating an 8-5 auburn who was on a down swing, a rudderless lsu who was also 8-5 with Anthony fukkin Jennings as the qb :mjlol:
Got they chulo blasted by ole miss and beat by Tech

2014 Msu when you look, they beat the hapless, just got by on teams that could go either way, and lost to teams that were good

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
teams hated playing Mullen’s MSU squads they had Bama beat on a Saturday night game

When did they beat Bama? When has Mullen ever beat Bama? I remember he had played them close once at Miss State in 2017, and twice at Florida in 2020 and 2021.

If the most impressive "wins" on someone's resume are close losses, they are trash.
Dak Prescott was a 3* QB who no one was recruiting as a QB. Prescott is from Louisiana and I remember LSU wanted him to play TE.

He got lucky with that one. Dak ended up being a good QB despite being under the radar. It happens a lot. Lamar Jackson was a 3 star too. So was Marcus Mariotta. Both of them won the Heisman. I guess Todd Helfrich is a genius HC and QB whisperer since he took 3 star Marcus Mariotta and coached him to a Heisman campgain and national title game appearance.

Also, Brian Johnson was Dak's QB coach in 2014, Dak's best season.

Nick Fitgerald was a nobody coming into MSU
And he was a nobody leaving MSU too. Except for one year (2016) when he broke Tebow's yardage record, he was ass.

And guess what, who was Nick's QB coach in 2016 (by far his best year)? That's right Brian Johnson.

Johnson left MSU after the 2016 to become the OC at Houston. And in 2017 Nick's numbers were ass just like they were in 2018 under Moorhead. An argument can even be made that they were slightly better under Moorhead, but it's close.
Kyle Trask was a back up to Kellen Mond in high school
Trask was D'Eriq King's back up. And that was only because that school's system was a straight up spread offense. That school's HC even knew Trask was a good qb, but not for his system. If Trask went to a school that suited his skill set more he would've been a 4 Star without a doubt (not athletic enough to be a 5 star imo).

And in his best season (2020), who was the OC? Brian Johnson.

What has Dan Mullen done with QB's without Brian Johnson?

Look at Nick Fitz in 2017 and Emory Jones in 2021.

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
Simply put, Dan Mullen is Drake and Brian Johnson is Quentin Miller.

Johnson did all the work but Dan got all the credit.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Who tf is these ten??
Kellen Mond, Jameis, EJ, Ponder, Mauck, Russell, Booty, Davey, Nall, & Flynn. He got them to the league. That's all that matters. What they do afterwards is dependent on them and their new coaching staff putting them into position. The bolded would be welcoming customers to Good Burger if they weren't in his system.
No one is talking about his offensive staff and pillaging anyone
what are you talking about? most of his staff leaves because he's a hard mf to coach under. His entire 2012 FSU staff bounced because they couldn't deal with him. His offensive staff that have left went to parallel programs to do the same job: recruit (Coley, Craig, Gran) so its not like he has wunderkinds on his staff
he’s got all the money, all Institutional alignment, all the control, and he can’t do shyt, so which is more likely the real Jimbo ??
That's got shyt to do w/ shyt. He didn't have any of that at his prior stop and won a Natty with double digit wins 6 out of 8 seasons. Its a lot of programs throwing money around and still not winning. Its his line of thinking and approach to offense that's ancient. People been saying that since EJ was hitting pirouettes in the backfield in 2012. Been known that WRs go to his offense to die. No amount of money or alignment or w/e gonna change that. There's a 13 season sample size showing you it isn't. And this is usually the timeframe when the fans start yelling for him to get an OC (yr 4 @ FSU now yr 5 @ aTm).
He’s too stubborn to get out of his way
Duh! Nothing new
the more this unfolds the more i feel like saban probably kept him from over inflation of his genius and kept him grounded.
he hasn't coached w/ Saban in damn near 20 yrs...Saban didn't do anything but show him the game

DropTopDoc

Daps
Reppin
Kellen Mond, Jameis, EJ, Ponder, Mauck, Russell, Booty, Davey, Nall, & Flynn. He got them to the league. That's all that matters. What they do afterwards is dependent on them and their new coaching staff putting them into position. The bolded would be welcoming customers to Good Burger if they weren't in his system.

what are you talking about? most of his staff leaves because he's a hard mf to coach under. His entire 2012 FSU staff bounced because they couldn't deal with him. His offensive staff that have left went to parallel programs to do the same job: recruit (Coley, Craig, Gran) so its not like he has wunderkinds on his staff

That's got shyt to do w/ shyt. He didn't have any of that at his prior stop and won a Natty with double digit wins 6 out of 8 seasons. Its a lot of programs throwing money around and still not winning. Its his line of thinking and approach to offense that's ancient. People been saying that since EJ was hitting pirouettes in the backfield in 2012. Been known that WRs go to his offense to die. No amount of money or alignment or w/e gonna change that. There's a 13 season sample size showing you it isn't. And this is usually the timeframe when the fans start yelling for him to get an OC (yr 4 @ FSU now yr 5 @ aTm).

Duh! Nothing new

he hasn't coached w/ Saban in damn near 20 yrs...Saban didn't do anything but show him the game
That was my point, they leave, or disappear in obscurity, (offensive staff)

Them qbs Got raised by the tide around them

We could prognosticate all day, but what’s your final opinion on him ? Is he good or bad

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
That was my point, they leave, or disappear in obscurity, (offensive staff)

Them qbs Got raised by the tide around them

We could prognosticate all day, but what’s your final opinion on him ? Is he good or bad
Most don't disappear because he rarely, if ever, fires any of his assistants. You can say they got raised by the tide around them but when its combine time and you before a NFL staff and they ask you to draw up R Flank Flood-R Gap A Shark 34 on a board and detail your 1st/2nd/hot routes, his offense preps you for that. It made Ponder and EJ R1 picks. It's why freshmen never can start in his offense. WRs can't start and/or don't start show competence until end of yr 2/beginning of yr 3. He refuses to dumb it down and that's the only knock I got on him. If I got a 6'4" WR who runs a 4.3, ain't nothing stopping me from throwing him out there to run a fly pattern, but he won't do it. This scrutiny ain't nothing new. FSU beat writers and fans was saying this his entire tenure in Tally. National guys late to the party again. Low key, he's more built for an NFL locker room than a college, he just doesn't want to give up the control college gives him.