The Official 2016 Olympics thread: Medals Are For the Elite but Zika is For Everybody

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I feel the way I feel, no need to try to convince me otherwise.....Bahrain isn't a African country, but using African athletes.....1.6% of Bahrain is African people

Not trying to be argumentative; but England and America are not African Countries either; but they both have imported distance runners from Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia. In fact a Somalian born guy won a gold medal for England in a distance race the other day. How is that any different than what Bahrain is doing?

Btw, yesterday I was watching the Nigerian basketball team playing Brazil. From what I understood the announcer said that in order to play for Nigeria you either had to be born there; or one of your parents had to have been born there and you need a passport. So Nigerian players could have actually been Americans and many were; because some were born in the USA and many went to school in the USA, but they were not going to make the American team so they decided to play for Nigeria. So the Nigerians bought athletes too if you think about it, because they wanted to be competitive.

Is Bahrain buying medals? Yes. But so are the other countries.

Chrishaune

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
Not trying to be argumentative; but England and America are not African Countries either; but they both have imported distance runners from Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia. In fact a Somalian born guy won a gold medal for England in a distance race the other day. How is that any different than what Bahrain is doing?

Btw, yesterday I was watching the Nigerian basketball team playing Brazil. From what I understood the announcer said that in order to play for Nigeria you either had to be born there; or one of your parents had to have been born there and you need a passport. So Nigerian players could have actually been Americans and many were; because some were born in the USA and many went to school in the USA, but they were not going to make the American team so they decided to play for Nigeria. So the Nigerians bought athletes too if you think about it, because they wanted to be competitive.

All right.....do you b.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps

Having players who were born in other nations isn't BUYING players. They have ancestral ties to that nation, in-fact they would more than likely self-identify as "nigerian". That has nothing to do with "buying" players. Other nations such as England/America/Brazil and others have black athletes who were there from centuries long diasporas or, in modern times, refugeeism.

Bahrain literally is paying athletes to have citizenship to participate in the games. Not the same at all as other nations.

Retired Account

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx

All citizens are eligible to compete for their country. Most countries offer citzenship to anyone that has a parent born other there. It takes more than a generation for someone to stop identifying with their "homeland". That is different than outright paying them. Bahrain athletes have no ties to the nation. There are athletes that train in the US that could of easily made the US team.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Having players who were born in other nations isn't BUYING players. They have ancestral ties to that nation, in-fact they would more than likely self-identify as "nigerian". That has nothing to do with "buying" players. Other nations such as England/America/Brazil and others have black athletes who were there from centuries long diasporas or, in modern times, refugeeism.

Bahrain literally is paying athletes to have citizenship to participate in the games. Not the same at all as other nations.
So there are no Africans in the diaspora across the Red Sea? So the Arabs didn't have a slave trade?

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All citizens are eligible to compete for their country. Most countries offer citzenship to anyone that has a parent born other there. It takes more than a generation for someone to stop identifying with their "homeland". That is different than outright paying them. Bahrain athletes have no ties to the nation. There are athletes that train in the US that could of easily made the US team.

But the USA and England have outright paid athletes over the years. America and England used to pay Communist Eastern bloc athletes to defect. I seem to recall the USA and England also bringing in East African distance runners to bolster their chances in the Olympics.

King Jove

King Of †he Gawds
Daps
Reppin
[redacted]
I could play goalkeeper for these womens soccer teams.

These women have 0 shot power. Don't have to worry about shots outside of the box with pace or shots to the upper 90.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Depends, On the weather and the wind. But with the field out there , should be fastest ever.

Bolt, Blake, gatlin all have pb under 19.6, Merritt , ashmeade , Lemaitre , Alonso Edward and degrasse can go under 19.9

no doubt...but if he gets that kinda start at the final on Thurs, he's breaking the record, right?

• Dap
Reactions: Rev