The Official 2013-14 Sacramento Kings thread!

2pac_Westside

SOHH Vet - est. 2002
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Here's Malone's response to being asked about the possibility of Terry never playing a game for the Sacramento Kings.

"No I wouldn't...I'm not going there right now. He's gonna come in and we'll have a chance to sit and get to know each other and be with the team and practice. But my main thing moving forward is Ben McLemore. And that's no disrespect to anybody, but we drafted Ben seventh and it's been an up and down season for him at times. But with these last 29 games, there's no pressure on this team. I want us to play together, I want us to play the right way. I want us to have fun and I also want to have a great opportunity to see Ben, Ray (McCallum), Carl (Landry) and Derrick (Williams). Especially to see what they're able to do with the last 29 games."

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Here's Malone's response to being asked about the possibility of Terry never playing a game for the Sacramento Kings.

"No I wouldn't...I'm not going there right now. He's gonna come in and we'll have a chance to sit and get to know each other and be with the team and practice. But my main thing moving forward is Ben McLemore. And that's no disrespect to anybody, but we drafted Ben seventh and it's been an up and down season for him at times. But with these last 29 games, there's no pressure on this team. I want us to play together, I want us to play the right way. I want us to have fun and I also want to have a great opportunity to see Ben, Ray (McCallum), Carl (Landry) and Derrick (Williams). Especially to see what they're able to do with the last 29 games."
Sohh when are we going to admit that Ben McLemore is a bust. :beli:

Game after game I've seen this kid struggle with no progression...

cinna_man

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Seriously tho, if the Kings are in a position to draft Joel Embiid, they have to take him. Him and Cousins together would be :banderas:

Actually, I'm going to edit this...

If the Kings win the lottery, the clear choice is Andrew Wiggins. He's high-flying, skilled, smart. Everything you'd want.

If Chris Walker enters the draft, they should trade Isaiah Thomas for a mid to late rounder. Take Walker; he's your future sidekick for Wiggins.

Then, pool resources (maybe Rudy Gay's expiring contract?) for best defensive/rebounding big they can get, like a Larry Sanders maybe.

Then, they install that triangle offense that works so beautifully. Ben McLemore gets better in the offseason and takes over the PG duties, but only in name because others will handle the ball just as much.

After all that, this is their lineup:

Ben McLemore 10 ppg, 3 apg, 1.5 stlpg, 42 3P%
Andrew Wiggins 27 ppg, 5rpg, 5 apg, 1.5 stlpg, 1 blkpg
Chris Walker 17 ppg, 7 rpg, 4 apg, 1.75 stlpg, 1.75 blkpg
Larry Sanders 8 ppg, 8rpg, 1.75 blkpg
Demarcus Cousins 22 ppg, 11 rpg, 4 apg, 1 stlpg, 1blkpg

Bench:
Derrick Williams
Quincy Acy
Aaron Gray
Ray McCallum

:ld:

Last edited:

2pac_Westside

SOHH Vet - est. 2002
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
I think the Kings need Jabari Parker more than anyone. He looks like he has Carmelo potential. Cousins and Parker would be a nice duo. I think people are sleeping on Wayne Selden right now. He's the other talent I like on the wing.

Embiid does look great though. I just think bigs are riskier, and there's less benefit from a big-big combo than a big-wing combo.

Jabari is a small forward, correct? Or can he play the 2 as well? We already have Rudy at the 3, assuming he's back with us next year.

cinna_man

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Jabari is a small forward, correct? Or can he play the 2 as well? We already have Rudy at the 3, assuming he's back with us next year.
He's ideally a SF, but that stuff is flexible. The team really needs that exterior dominant scorer, and I think that's Parker. Gay is not on the level of "go-to in the clutch".

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
came across this article:

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2014/3/19/5526456/doubting-thomas-an-exercise-in-futility

aiah Thomas celebrated his 50th game as a starter under coach Michael Malone Tuesday night versus Washington. This seems like an arbitrary the perfect time to reflect on Thomas' season as a starter, as well as ponder what the future may hold.

Let's look at numbers first, because, well, everybody loves numbers! Thomas is averaging 21.6ppg as a starter (which ranks 2nd among starting point guards, behind only Steph Curry), with a points per shot average of 1.32 (tied for 5th with Kyle Lowry). He has averaged 6.9 assists (tied for 10th with Jameer Nelson) versus 3.1 turnovers (tied for 6th worst) for a 2.23/1 ratio (23rd), and he chips in 3.2 boards (12th) and 1.3 steals (11th).

Basically, the numbers show Thomas to be elite as a scoring point guard in both volume and efficiency. He cracks the top third in assists, but he turns the ball over too much and is in the lower half in ratio. He is a slightly better than average rebounder (5-9!!!) and pilferer.

At first blush, it would appear that a reduction in turnovers would be the first thing to address in Thomas' offensive game. There are those that call for a reduction in his shooting volume, but one could question why you would want to reduce the number of shots for a guy averaging 1.32 points every time he shoots, which ranks tied for 27th in the entire league and comes in at tied for 9th among players that shoot at least 15 times a game. DeMarcus Cousins is 7th on that 15+ shot list, by the way, and Rudy Gay would rank just behind Thomas if you only considered his time in Sacramento, so one could counter-argue that an extra Thomas to Cousins or Gay assist would be at least a wee bit better overall.

Thomas averages 16.4 field goal attempts per game, which would rank 6th among starting point guards, in between John Wall and Damian Lillard. That's high. But this does not take pace into account, nor does it account for the quantity and quality of alternative shooters. Let's look at the list of starting point guards in the league, and where they rank on their respective teams for shots taken per game, as well as their standing from an assist stand point: