The Night Manager Official Thread

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Finished ep 6 earlier. The show was good overall but missing something. I feel that way about all the adaptations of the author's work. Can't put my finger on it

Most of his work receiving modern adaptations are 20+ years old. In many ways he set the standard/expectations of slow burn spy stories. They've since been expanded upon by other stories/films/shows, so his original works seem dated and predictable now.

Reminds me of the reception to, and defense of, John Carter.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Most of his work receiving modern adaptations are 20+ years old. In many ways he set the standard/expectations of slow burn spy stories. They've since been expanded upon by other stories/films/shows, so his original works seem dated and predictable now.

Reminds me of the reception to, and defense of, John Carter.
I get that but there is also something a bit dry about them.

Maybe I've seen too much Hollywood spy shyt growing up

• Dap
Reactions: HHR

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I get that but there is also something a bit dry about them.

Maybe I've seen too much Hollywood spy shyt growing up

This might be the driest of his adaptations I've seen. I was a pretty big fan of A Most Wanted Man and Tinker Tailor. Constant Gardner is also pretty great, though I haven't seen it since the year it came out.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Finally finished this... No spoilers ahead...

It was good, I liked it quite a bit, and as a one and done (which it might be), I'm happy with it. I don't think I need any more.

7.5/10

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Finished this tonight.....I liked the rising action much better then the pay-off, and some of the locales lost their luster, the scenes in the desert where a little over the top, and overly familiar. Everyone running around in these sprawling camps is like something out of Macbeth. The conclusion wasn't dark or impactful enough for me,

I think the whole thing was a little slight, and riddled with cliches and kind of very easy writing. But, I liked it nonetheless. I think the locations sold me on Spain for laster this year, and I loved the locales as much as the fashion and style of the upper crest Euro crime families. I'd also like to read the book soon.

So, I enjoyed it and the experience a lot, though as someone very wisely stated in the beginning of the thread, it's nowhere near something like 'The Honorable Women', that took my breath away in the finale.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte, North Carolina
Finished this tonight.....I liked the rising action much better then the pay-off, and some of the locales lost their luster, the scenes in the desert where a little over the top, and overly familiar. Everyone running around in these sprawling camps is like something out of Macbeth. The conclusion wasn't dark or impactful enough for me, I think the whole thing was a little slight, and riddled with cliches and kind of very easy writing. But, I liked it nonetheless. I think the locations sold me on Spain for laster this year, and I loved the locales as much as the fashion and style of the upper crest Euro crime families. I'd also like to read the book soon. So, I enjoyed it and the experience a lot, though as someone very wisely stated in the beginning of the thread, it's nowhere near something like 'The Honorable Women', that took my breath away in the finale.

:ehh: NOT BAD

IS HONORABLE WOMAN REALLY THAT GOOD BREH? :ohhh:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Dap
Reactions: HHR

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I started "The Honourable Woman" this week while on vacation...and it's approximately a million times better than The Night Manager.

Halfway thru, it's probably one of the best things I've ever watched. It's awfully complex, but told so masterfully that nothing is unclear, except for exactly what they want to be unclear. The levels of political maneuvering and managing of foreign affairs is remarkable.

I'm kind of floored at how good the whole thing is to this point.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Finally caught up. I thought the second half of the season wasn't as good as the first, but the finale was good.

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Been clearing things off my DVR lately and finished the series :ehh:, I enjoyed it. Some of the scenery was :wow:

Hugh Laurie was good as the main bad guy, and I thought his little buddy Corky was entertaining. If only Richard listened to Corky.