The Negatives of Disney Buying the Majority of Fox

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
IM3 may be the worst honestly

Completely hated that one

Huge letdown following Avengers. I don't even dislike Thor 1 and 2 compared to IM3

IM3...especially based on the previews....is an abomination.

I just hope they find the time in their schedule to squeeze in all this. You combine that with their streaming service and when all the Marvel items come over from Netflix (DD, Punisher) it will literally be 24/7 Marvel.

laughslikebig

Banned
Daps
There is nothing great about DOFP
i always see people say that. That movie is just as trash as the other ones to me. Wack costumes, no good fight scenes. movie was ass.

But this is terrible... WWE/WCW all over again. People are thinking short term... fukk Marvel.

Media is the most powerful tool in the world, it should not be monopolized.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

This is a good point. Not that it's actually a monopoly but it's true. Media distribution channels in fewer hands makes for a more controlled message. The intent by the company doesn't even have to be malicious for it to have a negative effect on the public.

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
That's all people can think about with this deal: seeing the X-Men with the Avengers and whatever. :mjlol:

Which admittedly will be cool, but Disney basically runs the entertainment world now, which is not good overall.
As long as I have my all of X-mens:mjlol:

The reality is a lot of shows getting canceled so the actors and staff gonna be outta work.

There will be fewer opportunities for new movie scripts. If Disney don’t like ya script pray another studio does. They could easily blackball anyone

Everything will be family friendly and corny

They gonna be able to pay actors whatever they want.

The fox properties are for streaming and will be on Disney app.

This off top. It’s prob some more shyt. The industry needed this not to happen

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
As long as I have my all of X-mens:mjlol:

The reality is a lot of shows getting canceled so the actors and staff gonna be outta work.

There will be fewer opportunities for new movie scripts. If Disney don’t like ya script pray another studio does. They could easily blackball anyone

Everything will be family friendly and corny

They gonna be able to pay actors whatever they want.

The fox properties are for streaming and will be on Disney app.

This off top. It’s prob some more shyt. The industry needed this not to happen
Disney already tried to blackball the LA Times just a few weeks ago from movie screenings for what they viewed as a negative article. It didn't work because other media outlets stood with the Times, but stuff like this will make them bolder with power moves like that and maybe they'll succeed next time.

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
Disney already tried to blackball the LA Times just a few weeks ago from movie screenings for what they viewed as a negative article. It didn't work because other media outlets stood with the Times, but stuff like this will make them bolder with power moves like that and maybe they'll succeed next time.
Right.If an actor gets blackballed will the sag do the same? What about someone black?

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
i always see people say that. That movie is just as trash as the other ones to me. Wack costumes, no good fight scenes. movie was ass.

But this is terrible... WWE/WCW all over again. People are thinking short term... fukk Marvel.

I hear you, but if not for Marvel almost going bankrupt in the 90's, that's the only reason Fox and Sony have rights to X-men/FF and Spiderman.

they are getting back what already belongs to them.

laughslikebig

Banned
Daps
I hear you, but if not for Marvel almost going bankrupt in the 90's, that's the only reason Fox and Sony have rights to X-men/FF and Spiderman.

they are getting back what already belongs to them.
I’m down for that. But their needs to be parity.

These corporations are doing way too fukking much. Maybe being in NY I see it different. But there is absolutely too much going on at the top and not enough at the bottom.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
A lot of film sites have laid out the pros and cons. Slash film did a great pros and cons back and forth if anyone wants to check it out.

But ultimately it all comes down to less choice and less variety. Monopolies are bad ideas because they hurt consumers and the people involved in one way or another.

So like someone already said, there’s just less choice and the threat of homogenization. WGA west already sent out a letter saying how pissed they are about this. For them, it comes down to one less place in town meaning less leverage for them to negotiate solid deals as writers. Which leads to less work or people just taking whatever work they can get.

Another potential issue is directors with original ideas (the ones this board always screams they want) will have less of a chance to do that because of Disney is controlling the release calendar with blockbuster after blockbuster, universal and Sony and paramount may feel pressure to play the same game. So we could see a lot more remakes and reboots and movies based on existing IPs rather than original shyt.

Then there’s the theater chains. If you live in a town that doesn’t have an AMC or cinemark or the other big theater chain, there’s a chance they’ll shut down. Disney is already asking theater chains for a crazy amount of the gross for their movies and smaller theaters just can’t afford to pay that. That’s why ticket prices go up and concessions prices are insane. So yeah those prices could go higher which means we’d be fukked in the end.

And in the same vein more big movies on screens means less of other movies. A lot of good horror flicks don’t have the budget or muscle to compete with something like Star Wars. So now those horror flicks could be on less screens or play in theaters for a shorter amount of time. Or just skip theater all together. Which would also suck.

And that’s just scratching the surface. There’s a lot of potentially bad things that can come from this once the smoke is clear and like @Muad'dib said, the industry didn’t want this

Last edited: