The Man Who Broke the Music Business(Great read on Pirating/bootleg music)

Daps
Yeah, I know Im talking in hindsight. It's always easy to look back and say they "shoulda coulda woulda" and I understand the culture but man that couldn't be me. All that risk for nil. Especially when there were ppl much lower level, assuming no risk making a killing from there work. For example around the mid-2000s there were ppl eating off of pirated movies by putting what's called a content locker on them. A content locker is basically when you goto one of those sites and they make you fill out some offer/survey or complete some action in order to get the password to unlock the file. Back then, you put one of those on a hot movie and put it on a torrent site that would have made you an easy $x,000. Add that with Glover's netflix idea but scaled larger, along with hitting the streets with the bootlegs and yeah, they left a lot of money on the table.

Like really this shyt needs to be made into a documentary
Yea a doc would be dope. It seems like dude was ahead of his time with the netflix idea and just didn't see what he had.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
This nikka probably leaked Lupes shyt :lupe:

This is the most incredible article in online music history IMO.

Is there a reddit thread on this, Im surprised it ain't hit the front page. This and that Spotify > The music industry article, needs to be talking about a lot more.

Yeah, this article is truly amazing. I would love to have a blog/site that'll reveal a lot of the underground internet happenings around that time. It truly was the wild wild west. This article, the article on those eBay scammers: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/21/us-ebay-password-idUSBREA4K0B420140521...The credit card shyt back in the day, Silk Road, etc. We need that

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
I was reading this yesterday in amazement

I remember the RNS days but I had no clue they had connections like this

I like that they talked about how they stopped putting out releases so early

I remember from around 99 to 2001 you could get releases online about a month or 2 in advance

where as by the time 50 cent's first cd came out it was only 2 weeks.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I was reading this yesterday in amazement

I remember the RNS days but I had no clue they had connections like this

I like that they talked about how they stopped putting out releases so early

I remember from around 99 to 2001 you could get releases online about a month or 2 in advance

where as by the time 50 cent's first cd came out it was only 2 weeks.
Fam.

These dudes had INTERNATIONAL CONNECTIONS WAY UP IN RECORD LABELS

IN-fukkING-SANE!!!!

If you ever went on a site like RapGodFather or torrented ANYTHING and saw RNS, you had to know wtf this was about.

This article is like rap-wikileaks :damn:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Yeah, great article…..if you are about 28-30 now this is like a run down of your teenage rap years, I remember all those releases, RNS and all that I was never as savvy as many with the bootlegging, but I had a dude on AIM who had his Get File filled with all the releases. I saw the tags everywhere, but as a myopic adolescent never really understood the larger picture…The distribution network those guys created is unreal, my close friend now and back then, dude used to have that massive leather binder of cd's, and few other kids from high school. And, I remember bootlegging 'Get Rich Or Die Trying', I gave my boy the AIM get file connect, and we split the money, and he made most of the cc's... that was in junior year. The most memorable run was that 2002-2003 year, after that it became less and less important to me….I remember how big it was when TES leaked that summer….it was just an unbelivably exciting moment in time...getting those new albums and being the first to hear, it's so nostalgic and beautiful how much rap and music shaped my teenage years. I remember hitting the store with my boy who was an Eminem FANATIC to get that early copy, because the release date was moved up, because this federal snitch wierdo bootlegger was running an empire. Of course 'Kali' was some ultimate nerd living with his mom at 30 years old…and keeping the true hacker code…wow. You knew it was official if it had that RNS tag too….

In the earlier years, this really hurt a lot of major artists, whose shyt got leaked MONTHS In advance, look at the Nas 'I Am' debacle, that we STILL bring up….G-Dep's whole album leaked like 16 months before it was due, fukked his career up somewhat… Cam'ron with 'SDE" and AZ with 'SOSA", but like the article describes these were local leaks, and in later years nationalized..and globalized….Napster still had tracks I have never been able to find again.

This fills in a lot of question, like how did the songs get on Napster? That shyt was baffling to me for years. Glover was a p*ssy, he did three months with cooperation, what would he have got without? 18 months or something.

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Just read whole article, great read, brings back memories.

All the standard tools, Fish IRC encryption, FlashFXP, EAC w/ Lame, Morgoth Releaser, raping site credits, preing a release, getting your shyt nuked, all the IRC beef that led to rippers jumping groups.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Them 2pac bootleggers were making killing in the bootleg scene though. I remember in 1999 there was this dude who used to post in an old ass forum called musicfantalk.com. His name was Dante and he had all them unleaked tupac songs. This was back in 1999 when songs like fortune and fame were just rumored tracks. This dude had all of them and used to sell them with consents to not leak them for like $200 a song. People were dumb enough to fukking buy them too. He even had that Makaveli and Dillinger album before Daz ripped everybody off trying to sell it. Wanna know why Daz never did? Cuz Dante threaten him to not sell it or else he would leak the songs. It was some real drama back then. I knew the dude and he hooked me up with a few remixes that were rare. I wonder what happened to him this day cuz ever since that site went down he went to hitemup.com until that site got closed too. Both sites were shut down cuz Dante would leak songs like once every few months