The Man Who Broke the Music Business(Great read on Pirating/bootleg music)

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Thats what kills me is ALL that WORK and DRIVE and not one inkling or desire to monetize it. Then the jefe gets off clean while his "capo" is making all that bread and super sloppy with the equipment in his crib smh. Like they had the game by the balls and were doing it basically for shyts and giggles when they coulda had Billions. What killed me was the part when dude said "We have to eliminate identifying stuff but we're still putting the rip date on it." Just to show out for a circle of maybe 400 computer geeks who were into pirating. My man Kali built his ship from nothing meanwhile Jay is out here sinking millions with Tidal. Eesh! Props OP.

Glover had the concept of Netflix before it even existed. That's what gets me, dude knew what he had but didn't really know the EXTENT of what he had. They need to make a movie of this shyt.

Cole Cash

They took a hammer and sickle to my back
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Maryland
I know what the purpose was. They just got a thrill out of it. Im just saying, they could have made some serious bank.

The main head hancho got off too :wow:

you have to understand how that scene worked back then. It really wasnt about making money, being first and adhering to hacker codes/ideologies was a big deal back in the late 90s, especially when the tech market eventually crashed wasnt nobody thinking about that kind of shyt back then.

Back in the late 90s nearly every major fukking album has RNS ripped on it, i got a shytload of old mp3s from 98/99/2000 where RNS and the guy they are mentioning, "Glover" has his tags all over the shyt that they are mentioning.

You have to have lived in the era to understand why ripping and uploading, them nikkas didint give one fukk about money and cared more about open source sharing as a ideology. Its the same concept behind linux and unbuntu they all come from that school.

altruicsense

Lord of the 7 Kingdoms
Daps
Reppin
Westeros
This shyt is amazing.

These nikkas came up with the concept of Spotify and Netflix before it even existed. If only they knew what the fukk they were doing, they could have really eaten :wow:

and that's why some nikkas are gonna be rich and some nikkas are gonna be wealthy.

Dank Hill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
good read, but homie went out snitching though.

I get what the brehs are saying though. It cool you get all of those bragging right and you use to be the top crew, but what do you have to show for it and who really cares about that today? At the end of the day cash rules all.

Last edited:

altruicsense

Lord of the 7 Kingdoms
Daps
Reppin
Westeros
Glover began to make extravagant purchases. He bought game consoles and presents for his friends and his family. He bought a new off-road quad bike, then a second. He bought a used Lincoln Navigator, and upgraded it with xenon headlights, a hood scoop, and an expensive stereo. For years, rappers had favored rims called “spinners”—metal hubcaps on independent bearings, which continued rotating even when the car had stopped. Looking to switch up the game, Glover bought “floaters”: the weighted rims stood still even when the wheels were moving.

:mindblown: isn't it sad that every criminal goes down this path.. shyt is like a movie and they never learn.

FloorGeneral

I don't even know anymore...
Daps
Reppin
Packerland
Excellent read. Really takes me back, as I, like many others, was benefitting from the group wars. Of course RNS was always the king, and everybody knew it. shyt, I remember grabbing The Eminem Show off of Audiogalaxy, and being the first with GRODT. Mastering IRC, and having (albeit brief) access to a couple Topsites. Good times, good times indeed.

Kind of fukked up that this dude supposedly warns Kali off on the phone, then turns around and testifies against him in court. He probably fukked himself by buying all that extra shyt. PPL refuse to learn from others' stupidity.

Dope read though. :salute:

AnotherRoute

Just another post by
Daps
Reppin
BR..O..OK...LYN
you have to understand how that scene worked back then. It really wasnt about making money, being first and adhering to hacker codes/ideologies was a big deal back in the late 90s, especially when the tech market eventually crashed wasnt nobody thinking about that kind of shyt back then.

Back in the late 90s nearly every major fukking album has RNS ripped on it, i got a shytload of old mp3s from 98/99/2000 where RNS and the guy they are mentioning, "Glover" has his tags all over the shyt that they are mentioning.

You have to have lived in the era to understand why ripping and uploading, them nikkas didint give one fukk about money and cared more about open source sharing as a ideology. Its the same concept behind linux and unbuntu they all come from that school.

I remember that time it was all about being first. First to have it playing before everyone people having that :ohhh: where did you get that.

Now everything is different there is no action no one cares you can shazzam a song and download it on your phone in under 2 minutes. Nothing is exclusive
Age-of-Innocence-41-e1384720047922.png

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD

Yeah, I know Im talking in hindsight. It's always easy to look back and say they "shoulda coulda woulda" and I understand the culture but man that couldn't be me. All that risk for nil. Especially when there were ppl much lower level, assuming no risk making a killing from there work. For example around the mid-2000s there were ppl eating off of pirated movies by putting what's called a content locker on them. A content locker is basically when you goto one of those sites and they make you fill out some offer/survey or complete some action in order to get the password to unlock the file. Back then, you put one of those on a hot movie and put it on a torrent site that would have made you an easy $x,000. Add that with Glover's netflix idea but scaled larger, along with hitting the streets with the bootlegs and yeah, they left a lot of money on the table.

I'm bout to go sit on the toilet and read this article. They really talked about RNS though? That's real. Should be interesting.
Like really this shyt needs to be made into a documentary

Last edited:

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
that was a great read. Back then it was all about getting stuff first like getting access to top sites or pre-0 sec FTPs. but i remember RNS and Glover, and i think Glover used to be an Ops on several Chans on irc. Those were the good days, you can help serve or scan for a top chan on irc, and you get access to everything you can want.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
This shyt is amazing.

These nikkas came up with the concept of Spotify and Netflix before it even existed. If only they knew what the fukk they were doing, they could have really eaten :wow:
Wouldn't have worked though cause these dudes were SUPER illegal. Going legit wouldn't even be possible with their networks.

But the connections they DID have was far more than I ever imagined.

These motherfukkers had goddamn networks around the world.

That blows my mind.