Essential The Locker Room's Random Thoughts

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is there such a thing as unnatural?

Wouldn't anything that happens in the natural world be by definition "natural"? Guns, cloning, polution, drugs, etc, wouldn't they all be considered natural things?

Beavers build dams. We consider it a natural thing they do. We build sky scrapers and parking lots, highways...

I'm just saying...

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Is there such a thing as unnatural?

Wouldn't anything that happens in the natural world be by definition "natural"? Guns, cloning, polution, drugs, etc, wouldn't they all be considered natural things?

Beavers build dams. We consider it a natural thing they do. We build sky scrapers and parking lots, highways...

I'm just saying...
You’re smoking too much gas lol. Anything that nature hasn’t or can’t produce is unnatural. It didn’t happen organically and can’t occur without human intervention.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You’re smoking too much gas lol. Anything that nature hasn’t or can’t produce is unnatural. It didn’t happen organically and can’t occur without human intervention.
lol, it's just a thought experiment. I don't care either way :russ:. I think it's all semantics. But building on what you're saying, the bold assumes that humans are unnatural but other species aren't. If a bird builds a nest out of little woodsticks and leaves from trees, is it natural? If so, why is "bird intervention" natural but human unnatural?

It's kind of a similar point to what George Carlin was saying with his plastic bit

Spence

Superstar
Daps
lol, it's just a thought experiment. I don't care either way :russ:. I think it's all semantics. But building on what you're saying, the bold assumes that humans are unnatural but other species aren't. If a bird builds a nest out of little woodsticks and leaves from trees, is it natural? If so, why is "bird intervention" natural but human unnatural?

It's kind of a similar point to what George Carlin was saying with his plastic bit

That’s because birds and other species cat chemically change or alter molecular structures to build something else.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That’s because birds and other species cat chemically change or alter molecular structures to build something else.
Seems like an arbitrary criteria. We are a natural species of earth that can do these things. Just like there are other species on earth that can build more basic structures like birds building nests or beavers building dams yet mosquitoes can't build structures as complex. Are they less natural.

Also an interesting wiki article on the subject of animals that build structures (i won't lie, i just looked it up right now)
Structures built by animals - Wikipedia

The section on building materials in particular talks about the collecting and "processing" of some of the materials. There are definitely chemical changes to materials. Some materials are mixed with saliva (enzimes) to create pulp which makes it more malleable than the raw material.

At some point they talk about how birds use mud and stones to build nests. But they explain that the mud is plastic when wet but tougher when dry. If the bird purposely uses mud for these propreties, knowing it can change states when wet or dry, would that be considered natural?

Honestly, i get what you're saying. And i agree that a lot of the things we do are harmful to us as well as other species. My main point is that in an effort to protect nature we mentally divorce ourselves from it within our language and semantics. But i think that doing this over and over through language is unhealthy and ironically ends up leading us to changing our environment even more for the worse. In other words, if we keep telling ourselves what we do is unnatural it we start to believe it and end up doing more "unnatural things" (:dame:) and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Anyway, it was just a random thought. It's very possible that I'm way off

Pseudonym

Secretary of Defense of #catset
Supporter
Daps
Has anyone ever had to draw a map of the grocery store and circle where you can find the items you wanted? I wanted SLICED granny Smith's not whole granny Smith's!

He's like I'll cut em up for you boo :hhh:

:mjgrin: Me: it's not the same, theres a different tartness to the ones in the bag

:birdman:him: tell me where they at

:childplease:me: hold on, I'ma draw a map for your dumbass

10 mins later

:myman:him: I found them, I got you TWO bags

:beli:: hurry up and come home...dont forget my publix sandwich too:martin:

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Seems like an arbitrary criteria. We are a natural species of earth that can do these things. Just like there are other species on earth that can build more basic structures like birds building nests or beavers building dams yet mosquitoes can't build structures as complex. Are they less natural.

Also an interesting wiki article on the subject of animals that build structures (i won't lie, i just looked it up right now)
Structures built by animals - Wikipedia

The section on building materials in particular talks about the collecting and "processing" of some of the materials. There are definitely chemical changes to materials. Some materials are mixed with saliva (enzimes) to create pulp which makes it more malleable than the raw material.

At some point they talk about how birds use mud and stones to build nests. But they explain that the mud is plastic when wet but tougher when dry. If the bird purposely uses mud for these propreties, knowing it can change states when wet or dry, would that be considered natural?

Honestly, i get what you're saying. And i agree that a lot of the things we do are harmful to us as well as other species. My main point is that in an effort to protect nature we mentally divorce ourselves from it within our language and semantics. But i think that doing this over and over through language is unhealthy and ironically ends up leading us to changing our environment even more for the worse. In other words, if we keep telling ourselves what we do is unnatural it we start to believe it and end up doing more "unnatural things" (:dame:) and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Anyway, it was just a random thought. It's very possible that I'm way off
Yeah you’re missing my point, you don’t have bears in the woods smelting steel beams to build a bigger better cave for hibernation.