Essential The Locker Room's Random Thoughts

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think the lack of being able organize is a sizeable part of it. You don't have time set aside for yourself? I have an area :ohlawd: and I want have to worry about people bothering me. I don't know why my job doesn't just give us the option. Its mostly emails and reports anway way.

I hope it gets better for you. Does you office give you the option to work from home or you switched careers? If the ladder can I ask what it is ? @Amy Traphouse same question :lupe:
I know it wasn't for me, but I'm a Business Analyst and we have a few people that work solely from home and they are flexible when it comes to us. What field of work are you in? United Health Care offers a lot of remote analyst positions. If you're doing reports I have another company I can refer you to as well.

Amy Traphouse

Supporter
Daps
I think the lack of being able organize is a sizeable part of it. You don't have time set aside for yourself? I have an area :ohlawd: and I want have to worry about people bothering me. I don't know why my job doesn't just give us the option. Its mostly emails and reports anway way.

I hope it gets better for you. Does you office give you the option to work from home or you switched careers? If the ladder can I ask what it is ? @Amy Traphouse same question :lupe:
It was strictly work from home, my manager worked at the home office in Seattle with the option of working home part time. I did seasonal CSA work for Amazon at the time for that one.

When I was a sous chef, I did all my paper work at home since it made up 60% of my workload and I loathed sitting in my office. My boss hated that I did it like that because he couldn't micromanage but I didn't give a fukk.

It gets boring if you're used to being around people but the perks of not having to get up early to get dressed, commute, and be away from home trumps it plus I was able to spend more time with my family since I was always home.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
Thanks both of you :hug:

I know it wasn't for me, but I'm a Business Analyst and we have a few people that work solely from home and they are flexible when it comes to us. What field of work are you in? United Health Care offers a lot of remote analyst positions. If you're doing reports I have another company I can refer you to as well.
This is why you are so smart :wow:

I work in medical supply distribution customer service/relations :mjcry: I have hospital accounts I have to keep happy. They reports are for their orders, their usage, what it looks like that wont need or need more of. This week looking up telecommute jobs eveything I found is a big pay cut. So I wondered what companies offer remote jobs.

It was strictly work from home, my manager worked at the home office in Seattle with the option of working home part time. I did seasonal CSA work for Amazon at the time for that one.

When I was a sous chef, I did all my paper work at home since it made up 60% of my workload and I loathed sitting in my office. My boss hated that I did it like that because he couldn't micromanage but I didn't give a fukk.

It gets boring if you're used to being around people but the perks of not having to get up early to get dressed, commute, and be away from home trumps it plus I was able to spend more time with my family since I was always home.
I use to think I wanted to work in an office, but I think I was just thinking about the business attire.

My main thing is time. It would be temporary and I want more time for my family. I miss out on so much and I don't feel this job is worth it.

I really want to save up to do my own thing. It's hard to plan your own business, and work full time on a stressful job. By the time I get off my brain doesn't want to do anything. I may have to option to stay home soon but I want to still have income to save. I was thinking about a part time but if there was a way to be home and make full time money its a win/win. At least that was my thought process.

I also hate office culture...

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I work in medical supply distribution customer service/relations :mjcry: I have hospital accounts I have to keep happy. They reports are for their orders, their usage, what it looks like that wont need or need more of. This week looking up telecommute jobs eveything I found is a big pay cut. So I wondered what companies offer remote jobs.

I use to think I wanted to work in an office, but I think I was just thinking about the business attire.

My main thing is time. It would be temporary and I want more time for my family. I miss out on so much and I don't feel this job is worth it.

I really want to save up to do my own thing. It's hard to plan your own business, and work full time on a stressful job. By the time I get off my brain doesn't want to do anything. I may have to option to stay home soon but I want to still have income to save. I was thinking about a part time but if there was a way to be home and make full time money its a win/win. At least that was my thought process.

Are you looking at specific job titles? What you described sounded more like Customer service/admin and they always have lower pay. Look for analyst positions on dice.com and start reading through some of the descriptions. Your job title may not fit but your duties may. I always search for jobs by the name of the software or technology being used and that opens up my search quite a bit. Also don't search just for your city/state.

Last edited:

Amy Traphouse

Supporter
Daps

It seems like telecommute jobs are few and far, especially those with good pay.

I stay at home now but I also work part time doing retail. It's not much but it helps me see something going into my savings.

Another part time/work at home option would an executive assistant. Alot of the clients just want a dedicated person to have a hand on MS Office stuff, schedules, bookings etc.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I stay at home now but I also work part time doing retail. It's not much but it helps me see something going into my savings.

Another part time/work at home option would an executive assistant. Alot of the clients just want a dedicated person to have a hand on MS Office stuff, schedules, bookings etc.

I don't think that's true. If anything more companies are offering it because of space constraints. There are tons available in my field but like I told Rae, I think people are just looking at job titles or in some cases don't even ask.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
Are you looking as specific job titles? What you described sounded more like Customer service/admin and they always have lower pay. Look for analyst positions on dice.com and start reading through some of the descriptions. Your job title may not fit but your duties may. I always search for jobs by the name of the software or technology being used and that opens up my search quite a bit. Also don't search just for your city/state.

Yup, exactly. I am searching telecommuting and it yields a lot of customer service/admin that comes up. I wouldn't even mind doing that because it’s less brain work/stress. But the pay cut I would have to wrap my head around it. I need to think about it more. Do I want the freedom from the office and responsibility less pay or do I want the freedom from the office and the money but probably have more responsibility.
A lot of job descriptions just try to find the most pretentious way to say simple things. I'll search dice.com when I get home. I browsed on my phone but I would rather be on my laptop. In about 4 months I'll have more flexibility I hope :sadcam: Either way I have to get out of here.

This is very true, the only ones I have seen with good pay, they either recently began to offer the remote option but it wasn't that type of job or its IT, web design, etc... Like I said above I guess its about choice. A part time wouldn't be bad it would free up more time. Right now time is my biggest issue, Mon -fri I spend about 8 to 10 hrs in traffic. If I could cut that :ohlawd: It's that or save up for my surgeries, snapchat thottery and instagram boutique.

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven

I moved 1000 miles away where they have no corporate offices and they asked if I could stay on and work remotely for the short term.

I'm in HR Strategy for a big company. My work is all project based and involves connecting w folk in different regions. I can do everything remotely if I need to, but that's not the best for career and professional development

Raava

Staff member
Daps
I moved 1000 miles away where they have no corporate offices and they asked if I could stay on and work remotely for the short term.

I'm in HR Strategy for a big company. My work is all project based and involves connecting w folk in different regions. I can do everything remotely if I need to, but that's not the best for career and professional development

I don't plan to stay in this field, I was told I could and move up...I just can't. I look at the people around me who have been here for years. Everyone comes to my desk complaining about how stressful it is on how this is the worst it has been. I am like :mindblown: why are you still here then?

All people have been doing is changing compainies/hospitals and titles but they all still end up working with one another and complaining. "I was ____ for 5 years, then ____for 15 and now I'm here. I hate it"

They could also be trying to catch me slipping and complaining so they can have dirt on me :francis: another reason I hate offices.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Why do you feel that way?